Tyranid Warriors Build

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
Bone2pick
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Tyranid Warriors Build

Post by Bone2pick » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:00 pm

I just picked up the Start Collecting Tyranids box set in hopes of slowly getting together a scary bug army. What weapons do you suggest I arm the warriors with? I imagine I'd like to use these dudes as mid-short range shooters, but I haven't played 40k in forever - and even when I did I didn't field tyranids so I'm open to your suggestions.
Space Marines excel at warfare because they were designed to excel at everything.

-Primarch Roboute Guilliman

Gamer-Guy
Bronze Vault Member

Re: Tyranid Warriors Build

Post by Gamer-Guy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:21 am

I like to run them in units of 3. I'll leave 2 bare-bones, and give one a lash whip and bonesword.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:56 pm

People tend to kit them out for mid range shooting. Bone sword warriors are expensive and a bit too squishy for that many points invested in them I think. But I don't play Tyranids, so take my words with a grain of salt.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Gamer-Guy
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Gamer-Guy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:39 pm

Kovlovsky wrote:People tend to kit them out for mid range shooting. Bone sword warriors are expensive and a bit too squishy for that many points invested in them I think. But I don't play Tyranids, so take my words with a grain of salt.
This is true, and that's why I only give 1 in every 3 of my warriors bone-swords. ws 5, str 4, T 4, 3 w, and I 7(with lash whip), is really good close combat stats. Vs. bs3, and only average weapon options.

Also, you can add in a Tyranid prime, and give them all ws7

Bone2pick
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Bone2pick » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:04 am

I was considering barbed strangler and two deathspitters for a little shooting while they provide synapse. I'd rather not build a unit of only three for close combat.
Space Marines excel at warfare because they were designed to excel at everything.

Gamer-Guy
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Gamer-Guy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:05 am

Bone2pick wrote:I was considering barbed strangler and two deathspitters for a little shooting while they provide synapse. I'd rather not build a unit of only three for close combat.
That could work. I personally am not a fan of the barbed strangler (just doesn't seem to work for me). But I know a few people who think it's great.

Bone2pick

Post by Bone2pick » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:41 am

General-Kroll wrote:I run them as shooting units. Give one a barbed strangler, and then kit the others out with devourers. You can sit them at a decent distance and try and pin down enemy squads leaving your Genestealers or Hormagants to then shred them in CC.
That sounds like the best advice for my style of play. It's not too costly yet they can still impact the game. And like you said, I'd rather run my genestealers up the board to feast on infantry.

Gamer-Guy
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Gamer-Guy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:18 am

Bone2pick wrote:
That sounds like the best advice for my style of play. It's not too costly yet they can still impact the game. And like you said, I'd rather run my genestealers up the board to feast on infantry.
If you're going to run genestealers, I would recommend to infiltrate them, and the best way to do that is in the manufactorum formation. Because it allows you to infiltrate within 6" of enemy units.

Bone2pick

Post by Bone2pick » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:53 pm

Gamer-Guy wrote:If you're going to run genestealers, I would recommend to infiltrate them, and the best way to do that is in the manufactorum formation. Because it allows you to infiltrate within 6" of enemy units.
More than likely I'll run genestealers; they're one of my favorite tyranid units in terms of the narrative—and I'm ultimately a narrative player. If you don't mind me asking, how would you compare the manufactorum formation against the hunting pack?

Gamer-Guy
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Gamer-Guy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:05 am

Bone2pick wrote:
Gamer-Guy wrote:If you're going to run genestealers, I would recommend to infiltrate them, and the best way to do that is in the manufactorum formation. Because it allows you to infiltrate within 6" of enemy units.
More than likely I'll run genestealers; they're one of my favorite tyranid units in terms of the narrative—and I'm ultimately a narrative player. If you don't mind me asking, how would you compare the manufactorum formation against the hunting pack?
Well, manufactorum can get in combat sooner(potentially), but don't have preferred enemy. There's more of them, but they don't have access to broodlords.

I think that the hunting pack might be able to do more damage, because of preferred enemy.
But the manufactorum gets more units, and more units means more targets, which means that your opponent would have to dedicate more firepower to take it down. Leaving less fire coming in at the rest of your army.

What else are you planning on using in your army? Are the genestealers going to be the focus units, or support?

Bone2pick

Post by Bone2pick » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:39 pm

Gamer-Guy wrote:What else are you planning on using in your army? Are the genestealers going to be the focus units, or support?
That's tough to predict this early seeing as how I've yet to field an army of tyranids. For what it's worth, if I had to make a prediction on what will be my army's most "critical" units I'll say Hive Tyrants (wings), crone(s), and genestealers.

I'll list the units I'm most interested in collecting in terms of looks and narrative.
*ripper swarms, warriors, genestealers, venomthropes, zoanthropes, hive crones, gargoyles, carnifexes, tyranofex, trygon, & hive tyrants.

Gamer-Guy
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Gamer-Guy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:59 pm

Bone2pick wrote: That's tough to predict this early seeing as how I've yet to field an army of tyranids. For what it's worth, if I had to make a prediction on what will be my army's most "critical" units I'll say Hive Tyrants (wings), crone(s), and genestealers.

I'll list the units I'm most interested in collecting in terms of looks and narrative.
*ripper swarms, warriors, genestealers, venomthropes, zoanthropes, hive crones, gargoyles, carnifexes, tyranofex, trygon, & hive tyrants.
Looks like a good mix.
Given that you would have a lot of things that have to run across the table to get the most out of them, I would probably go with the manufactorum over the hunting pack. Because either your opponent kills all of genestealers in one turn (unlikely), or they are getting into combat on turn two. And even if they focus everything into the genestealers, then that leaves at least one whole turn in which the rest of your army is spared from getting shot at.