Nerf the Necrons

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
TheNecronsareReal
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Nerf the Necrons

Post by TheNecronsareReal » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:47 pm

At my local store most people play necrons. They always end up trying to lose. Any ideas on how to nerf this overpowered army.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Nerf the Necrons

Post by Koonitz » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:11 pm

TheNecronsareReal wrote:At my local store most people play necrons. They always end up trying to lose. Any ideas on how to nerf this overpowered army.
Stop playing overpowered lists?
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:06 pm

Necrons using the Decurion don't have objective secured. Play Maelstrom of War missions and try to try seize board control and accumulate points. You can beat them this way. It's not as glorious as tabling them, but it's a win anyway.

But if you're serious into trying to kill them, there is a few things you can do. To dispatch the Wraiths, either you instakill them with strength 10 (Vindicators, Tau Heavy Rail gun, sending dreadnoughts in CC with them, etc.) or you saturate them with S7 fire with something like Autocannons. You will wound them on 2s and they are bound to fail quite a few saves and lose models. If you play Space Marines or Chaos Space Marines, psykers rolling respectively on Librarius or Sinistrum disciplines and hope to roll the last spell. It's a malediction that reduces invulnerable saves by two. It will work very well on both wraiths and sword and board lychguards. If not, killing lychguards can be done by saturating them with small arms fire since they are bound to fail these 3++ saves at some point.

Against anything that isn't close combat oriented like warriors, immortals, etc. beating them in close combat and then sweeping advancing them is the best way to destroy them quickly. There is no reanimation protocols against sweeping advances. Depending on your army, it may or may not be possible. Instakilling stuff is important too as it reduces reanimation protocols by 1. So, bring as many S8 weapons as possible. Also, tarpiting these units can work well like with a huge blob of conscripts with a ministorium priest, hormagaunts, etc­. The Necrons will lose their time in endless close combat while you can seize board control and camp the objectives with objective secure troops.

As for nerfing them in their next codex, the two things I would do is putting back the Wraiths to toughness 4 and/or nerfing that formation with one "spidah" and a bunch of wraiths. Reanimation protocols on toughness 5 wraiths that are Beasts and have a 3++ invulnerable save was a bad idea.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Gamer-Guy
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Gamer-Guy » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:05 am

Last time I played against necrons, I was using grey knights nemesis strike force. Let's just say, necrons don't hold up very well against grey knight close combat, and cleansing flame(st5 ap4) is very good at clearing warriors very quickly.

tombranstetter
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by tombranstetter » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:20 am

first of all volume of dice kills anything, second of all things that work off initiative like blind will knock them down a notch, thirdly if u face a canaptive harvest just kill the spider first especially if you get first turn before reanimation kicks in that will nerf the formation. lastly as other posters have said, get them in close combat, most of the army isn't very well geared for that.

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:27 am

Another good counter is monstrous creatures, as gauss doesn't really give any benefits vs most of them (wraithlord/knight and ironarm GUO not withstanding). Things kike a nurgle prince with black mace really wrecks face as Necrons hate 'removed from play' effects and generally don't have a weapon skill higher than 4. The D 'thirster is also a miracle worker. Even a humble carnifex with adrenal glands can do a real number on them with its S10 charge and 2 twin-linked devourers make it a threat the first couple of turns as well.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Htedomsa
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Htedomsa » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:58 pm

I just started collecting them, so lets not nerf them lol. That said, the posters above have very solid points. Mainly you should evolve your tactics. The truth about Warhammer is there is going to be a new OP army every once in a while as new 'OP' models come out and GW pushes them before eventually re balancing things somehow. Sometimes the answer is right there in your Codex. When a friend kept beating my CSM with his Dark Eldar I got frustrated, but then realized it was because he had the advantage of speed, initiative, and deadly close combat weapons. My counter was to run a Mark of Slaanesh army instead of the Chaos United and Nurgle I had been playing. Here's an annoying tactic to use for your problem. Include snipers and such to kill off many of the characters that give those little +1 reanimate. Might help.
~Htedomsa~
[/color][/b]
"If your good at anticipating the human mind, it leaves nothing to chance."

NotAlpharius
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by NotAlpharius » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:27 pm

Tips for defeating Necrons:

1) melee. Necrons are all I2 (whipcoil wraiths excluded) .... power swords/claws will make Necrons very sad. Sure they will still get a 4+ reanimate, but you are only letting them take that 50/50 save rather than 4+ or 3+ armor and 4+ reanimate.

2) close the gap fast or sit back and blast them. Necrons are primarily a mid field army and to make the most of Necrons they need to be in rapid fire range which is 12 inches. Option 1 close the gap fast with assault vehicles or option 2 gunline, make them march at you.

3) 2+ armor. Necrons have surprisingly few ways to deal with 2+ armor. There is very little AP2/AP1 weaponry in the Necron codex and only very specific units can take them. Claw termies can much through Lychguard with warscythes even if they have 4+ reanimate.

4) heavy flamers/heavy bolters. The bulk of most Necron armies are warriors. A few well placed Heavy flamer shots can remove quite a few warriors.
All generalizations are false.

TheNecronsareReal
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by TheNecronsareReal » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:07 pm

I play Blood Angels.

Gamer-Guy
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Gamer-Guy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:05 am

TheNecronsareReal wrote:I play Blood Angels.
Then you can get up into close combat fairly quickly, which is best for killing necrons.

I got my Tau commander into combat with a necron overlord, and won.