Necorn Formations

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
ussasx
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Necorn Formations

Post by ussasx » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:19 pm

Hi Guys,
The new codex and the various formations has been confusing me and my friends as we start playing. My friends were also sceptical when I kept saying "oh this unit has x benefit because i also have this other unit here".
I am putting together a document (which i will share) that has handy cards for each formation in the codex. This lists the units required along with all the information in one easy printed crib sheet. I can lay these on the game table knowing i should not need to reach for my necron codex at any point - simply reach for the card relevant for whatever model and all special rules, possible wargear and traits are simplified and laid out including points requirements.
As you can imagine this is a somewhat daunting task but i am underway with it already. However with the codex, white dwarf etc i want to ensure i have all the formations listed and im not sure if any of the ones im listing are no longer playable in the new codex or if i missed any:

Formation Formations
Decurion
Meprhit Cohort
Dark Harvest (is this one gone or still viable - is this just forgeworld and shoudl be excluded from standard Necron Codex)
Standard CAD
Formation Detachment

Formations
Reclamation Legion
Royal Court
Destroyer Cult
Judicator Battalion
Canoptek Harvest
Annihilation Nexus
Star-God
Flayed Ones
Living Tomb
Deathmarks
Deathbringer Flight
Anrakyrs Strategic Decurion
Conclave of the Burning One
The Guardians of Perdita
Zarathus's Royal Decurion
Translocator Flight
Lawbringer Phalanx
Ghost Strider Phalanx
High court of Damnos
Court of the Flayer King
Host of the Red Harvest
Acquisition Phalanx
Infiinte Phalanx
Baleful Necropolis
The Royal War Council of Mandaragora
Resurgence Decurion

Thoughts and Advice appreciated.
Ussasx
Necrons ~ 3000pts 90% painted.
Space Marines ~ 2000pts 100% painted
Tzeentch ~ 1800points - 0% painted
May my Orks and CSM forever rest in pieces.

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Re: Necorn Formations

Post by Bojazz » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:29 pm

I'm going to save you a lot of work.
http://bloodofkittens.com/formation-compendium/
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

ussasx
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by ussasx » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:05 pm

Awesome. Thanks for that Bojazz. Will give me a great starting point.

My intent is to lay out each formation in one data slate though. Ill use canoptek Harvest.

The data slate will start by stating the requirements and benefits for this formation. It will then have a card for Canoptek Wraith, Spyder and Scarab which lays out the stats table, wargear options and special rules form the codex and the main rule book.

Me and my friends are new so we tend to be looking through the various books to understand what something can do.
This way when anything happens relating to these units its easy to see how they work. Over time they will become less meaningful.

My group of friends are all starting armies - all different - tau, nid, SM and Chaos SM. They will be doing a similar thing and we hope this will make playing more about the game and less about reading through rule books.
Ussasx
Necrons ~ 3000pts 90% painted.
Space Marines ~ 2000pts 100% painted
Tzeentch ~ 1800points - 0% painted
May my Orks and CSM forever rest in pieces.

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:29 pm

Right, I wasn't insinuating that your efforts are pointless, I was just giving you a complete compendium from one place to copy your information from with regards to formation information. With source references, no less! Heck you could probably just copy/paste that info directly onto your cards to print out.

Also, If you're all brand new then you may not know about:
http://battlescribe.net/

It's a completely free program that lets you build lists and does all the points math for you! It also has an option to print the entire roster out in various formats which include lists of special rules, character profiles, and wargear/weapon information! It's also got mobile versions so you can put it on a phone or tablet to keep all your army's info in the palm of your hand!

It also comes with a catalogue editor, so if you want any changes or additional information displayed when you select a unit or piece of wargear, you can edit that right into the program so it displays it every time.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Todda
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Todda » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:38 pm

The problem is the Decurion Detachment MUST have a Reclamation legion, may take a Royal Court and MUST take 1-10 Formations from the codex... and ONLY Formations from the codex. Normally Formations are taken as their own Detachments as are Allies and even the Combined Arms Detachment. The benefits far outway the restrictions and it would be hard to pass up... ever.
I made the move to professionally painting 3 years ago. I paint a good mix between speed and quality. This keeps prices low, like a typical 2K 40k army is under $500.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting