C'tan not usable?

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
Nexus_Crawler
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: C'tan not usable?

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:34 pm

so there is a strength D precision shot. it does D3 wounds on a 2-5 and a model is removed from play on a 6.

If you throw this shot at an independent character does that mean that you would need to make a look out sir for each of the D3 wounds?
--Necrons, Dark Angels--
--Connoisseur of fine Cheese--

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:32 pm

I'm seriously considering Conclave of the Burning One with Nightbringer and Shackle of the Gods.

I need to look more and see if there is anything that reduces Leadership besides the Deceiver. You are right, too many points for too little.

But the Conclave... S8 T8...which can become majority toughness...sounds fun. I do hate they are so slow.

Same with the Canoptek Harvest. Everything is awesome...until you figure out the Spyder is slower than the other 2 units. I may run a test, just to see if run moves work. Call it Reanimation Tax ;)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

ussasx
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by ussasx » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:41 pm

What has just happened to my C'Tan!! I spent £95 quid on a tesseract vault so i can use the tranny in a game im having in a few weeks and was so looking forward to having this guy there for a bit of fun! I could have put an extra £4 on the table and got some wraiths and a spyder.

For the money i could have got 6 wraiths, 10 lychguard and a spyder :(

As we only play for fun and its my first BIG game (4k a side), im going to grab a pritt stick and put the old page over the new one and just pretend that page hasnt changed haha
Ussasx
Necrons ~ 3000pts 90% painted.
Space Marines ~ 2000pts 100% painted
Tzeentch ~ 1800points - 0% painted
May my Orks and CSM forever rest in pieces.

Nexus_Crawler
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:56 pm

Dez wrote:I'm seriously considering Conclave of the Burning One with Nightbringer and Shackle of the Gods.

I need to look more and see if there is anything that reduces Leadership besides the Deceiver. You are right, too many points for too little.

But the Conclave... S8 T8...which can become majority toughness...sounds fun. I do hate they are so slow.

Same with the Canoptek Harvest. Everything is awesome...until you figure out the Spyder is slower than the other 2 units. I may run a test, just to see if run moves work. Call it Reanimation Tax ;)
Deploy with the spider up front and make the rest of the units have to pass him.
--Necrons, Dark Angels--

Dez
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:57 pm

The Obelisk is amazing though!

ussasx
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by ussasx » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:15 pm

Dez wrote:The Obelisk is amazing though!
I havent seen much said about the obelisk :/ I need to get my codex in and read me thinks.
Ussasx
Necrons ~ 3000pts 90% painted.
Space Marines ~ 2000pts 100% painted
Tzeentch ~ 1800points - 0% painted
May my Orks and CSM forever rest in pieces.

Nexus_Crawler

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:30 am

It is a solid choice to ram up the middle of the field. 20 tesla shots per turn and forcing dimmers and flyers to take dangerous terrain is pretty clutch.
--Necrons, Dark Angels--

DonPenguini
Bronze Vault Member

Post by DonPenguini » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:08 am

Question:
C'tan Shard of the Nightbringer has the revamped "Gaze of Death".

In the Gaze of Death rules it opens with "In its Shooting phase...", but does not mention actually shooting, and does not appear to have a "weapon profile" attached.

Since it does not have a weapon profile, doesn't mention being a shooting attack, and is not a Witchfire attack - does that mean it can be used while engaged in combat? Possibly even on the unit it is currently engaged with?

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:23 am

DonPenguini wrote:Question:
C'tan Shard of the Nightbringer has the revamped "Gaze of Death".

In the Gaze of Death rules it opens with "In its Shooting phase...", but does not mention actually shooting, and does not appear to have a "weapon profile" attached.

Since it does not have a weapon profile, doesn't mention being a shooting attack, and is not a Witchfire attack - does that mean it can be used while engaged in combat? Possibly even on the unit it is currently engaged with?
Not sure, in fantasy the vampire counts terrorgheist can use a similar ability in close combat. It could also be like the old doom of malantai power thingy, that would be nasty. I'm sure people will argue this to death until an FAQ comes along, unless you missed something.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

DonPenguini
Bronze Vault Member

Post by DonPenguini » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:09 am

According to what I have:
Gaze of Death: In its Shooting phase, in addition to using Powers of the C’tan, this model can target one non-vehicle enemy unit within 12" to which it has line of sight. The unit suffers a number of Wounds equal to 3D6 minus its Leadership, resolved at AP2 and with the Ignores Cover special rule. If at least one unsaved Wound is inflicted, the C’tan Shard of the Nightbringer immediately regains one Wound lost earlier in the battle.
If I am reading this right, it will be able to: end one combat and join another in the same turn, affect the outcome of a combat without entering it, and affect the outcome of a fire-fight while locked in combat.

I must be missing something - otherwise it looks like Nightbringer could be nasty if you can get him across the board. It's a pity you can't Monolith him, or Night Scythe him, or Deep-strike him, or lock him in a Tesseract Labyrinth (which I am quite sad to see missing in this codex) to let him out when you're across the board.

//EDIT: Tesseract Labyrinth, not Tesseract Vault...

Dez

Post by Dez » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:19 am

It is not a shooting power, it's a rule. So yeah, no rolls to hit no psychic tests...it just happens. To a unit in another combat if you like, the only targeting restriction is line of sight. Now just to get him across the board..

DonPenguini
Bronze Vault Member

Post by DonPenguini » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:29 pm

As for the Conclave of the Burning One, I don't think you can use it anymore.

It specifies a C'tan Shard, which is now a non-existent unit. Shard of Nightbringer or Deceiver might work, but I think that's really an FAQ thing.

Dez

Post by Dez » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:01 am

They are prefaced by "C'tan Shard of....". Sounds desparate to me.

DonPenguini
Bronze Vault Member

Post by DonPenguini » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:15 am

They probably do count, but these things are sometimes weird.

lizardqueen
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by lizardqueen » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:08 am

I played with the new C'tan rules last game. It was a 1750 pt game against IG. The C'tan is expensive and the greatest weakness is the +4 save. I played the NightBringer and it performed like I thought it would. The Shard killed a few heavy weapon teams and caused a few glances on vehicles. It was something different, a play style that is unusual to the necrons. The major problem is the model only has a +4 and can be singled very easily, it died quiet fast and was dead turn 3. I would not take the Burning conclave, the points would be too much at that point.