Nobody likes to play me

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Nobody likes to play me

Post by Marit Lage » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:54 am

Just because one codex can spam themselves to victory doesn't mean you should. It makes you a pain to play against, and most will not play pick up games with you if you do. It's bad taste.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2017:
Exalted Champion
85 Chaos Cultists
3 Chaos Bikers

abf36
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by abf36 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:18 am

I am the friend and regular opponent of the original poster. I just wanted to add that he doesn't make spam lists, or play mega competitively.

I cant speak for my entire group, but I cant beat his Tau with Adepta Sororitas. I'm yet to try my Grey Knights against them. The main problem we're experiencing at the moment is the Eldar.

The trouble (as I see it) is Eldar are fairly shooty anyway without list tailoring. Reapers, Dragons, Avengers, Wraithsythes, etc, they're all pretty darn good at shooting. Now, when theyre on foot they're still very good at moving to get in the right place at the right time using Battle Focus. When you put them in a transport that has 3+ cover saves and ignores penetrating hits on 2+ they will definitely be in the right place at the right time.

Take an Ork (melee orientated) army for example - the trouble is getting them to the enemy, in a decent state and at the right moment. Give them nigh on indestructible trukks and there is no challenge.

I haven't given up yet though. I still want to play Tau now with my new stuff, and I will give Eldar another bash before conceding utter defeat.
AM 8K -¦- AS 4K -¦- GK 4K -¦- IH 10K -¦- DW 2K -¦- BT 2K5 -¦- OA 570 -¦- LC 1K5

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:34 pm

There are a few good ways to take down serpents handily enough. Deep Striking units/drop pod marines can pop up behind serpents and negate the serpent shield (though the jink will still be an issue). If you can get into close combat with a serpent they are made of wet paper. Other than that, volume of medium strength fire can glance them to death, especially if it ignores cover (I'm looking at you, Tau >.>). The traditional method of "shoot my big gun at it" generally doesn't work with serpents, since they'll just jink it or downgrade it. But throw a few assault cannons or thunderfire cannons, or rapid firing plasma guns at it, and you've got yourself a dead snake in 1-2 turns!

As for the infantry - cover saves and close combat are your friends. The Eldar have a lot of pseudo rending so cover saves will ALWAYS be beneficial. Most of the army is terrible in close combat and require close range for shooting. Survive the alpha strike and you can usually immediately charge them and wipe them out. This is why Mechdar is so strong; the infantry never have to get out, because when they do they usually die.

Hope this helps a bit!
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Nadia
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Nadia » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:14 pm

Oh, you found a way to exploit a weakness in a game?

Seriously. I saw tons of "unbeatable" list. The major weakness of them all is: it's a game, you need player. The books have been written by humans, and they sure make mistake.

It's much harder to build a list fun to play with and against than to maximise a weakness of a codex.
,remember the unbeatable gk or necron? Yeah, 12 planes. It's not strong, it's just pointing a weakness in the codex
"Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it." -Alice in Wonderland

Nexus_Crawler
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:26 pm

The eldar units are all pretty good; the codex was poorly written in so far as balance is concerned.

You could take an extra 200 points as a handicap and see if things balance out more that way.
--Necrons, Dark Angels--
--Connoisseur of fine Cheese--

Sniperfex
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Sniperfex » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:33 am

I don't know why people are complaining about Eldar and Tau individually, it's when they're both together they're nigh on unbeatable.

I've pasted both with regular marines, and now Tyranids. It's either that or my opponents were just bad (Eldar player not so much though, he's actually good)
"Do you really want to waste your time
Wake up and live your life
I want to be your chemical ride"

Sniperfex, ruining people's hopes and dreams since 1993

Sniperfex
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Sniperfex » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:29 pm

Tau and Eldar ain't scary if you know how to kill them right

Nexus_Crawler
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:13 pm

Sniperfex wrote:Tau and Eldar ain't scary if you know how to kill them right
This usually means list tailoring. I personally have no issues with this but when you get to your club with a fluff or 'all comers' list for a random game and you end up playing eldar... well, you dont have much chance.

Just this past weekend a mechanized guard list took four turns of focused shooting to take down the wraith knight.. who is a strength 10 jump monstrous creature with 6 wounds and crazy shooting and an invul save. For less than a land raider. In those four turns basically ONLY the wraith knight went down. Aint nobody got time for that.
--Necrons, Dark Angels--

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:11 pm

Some misinformation there.

Land raiders are 250 base.
In order to have an invuln save the wraithknight must sacrifice it's (crazy shooting) wraithcannons for a suncannon and scattershield (S6 AP2 heavy 3 blast), making it cost 280 points, which is more than a landraider. This loadout is commonly taken with a scatter laser to twin-link the suncannon, costing a total of 300 points. It's also worth noting that it is only a 5+ invuln and whenever it is passes it he can end up blinding himself and anyone around him.
Orks - Power Level 70

Sniperfex

Post by Sniperfex » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:31 pm

See that wraithknight? Rending weapons, poisoned weapons, weapons that fix on a certain value or are high enough Strength to void most of its toughness and such. You can easily kill them with the right gear even without tailoring.

For example, as a Space Marine player, always take a backfield Sternguard Squad for those Poisoned 2+. Tyranids and Orks? ah screw it, just drown the blighter in bodies.

That Imperial Guard player took 4 turns to down it? Looks like someone needs either better luck, or needs more "all comers" in his list

Nexus_Crawler

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:38 am

Sniperfex wrote:That Imperial Guard player took 4 turns to down it? Looks like someone needs either better luck, or needs more "all comers" in his list
Crap.. It was not Guard. The guy who was crushed was Playing Farsight Tau. The Guard guy spanked the wraithknight. Sorry - it was a lot of games in a short timeframe.

As for the points discussion - the wraithknight is still undercosted. I dont want to get into a pissing match about balance in the game but the strength and toughness of the knight both need to be adjusted. and maybe not a jump MC.
--Necrons, Dark Angels--

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:51 am

I never claimed a side on the balance war, I was only correcting misinformation. No urinating going on here, I just value accuracy.
Orks - Power Level 70

Sniperfex

Post by Sniperfex » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:53 am

hmm, I can see why people say it's undercosted, but its much like the Riptide, it's something big and dead killy so kill it before it kills you. And for Farsight Tau that is disappointing. You'd assume the amount of Ap2 weaponry their army lists can have would be enough, but nope

Return to “Xenos Races”