1500 list, need soem Anti-Vehicle ideas.

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
FotoGuy
Gold Vault Member

1500 list, need soem Anti-Vehicle ideas.

Post by FotoGuy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:15 pm

Hey everyone, I've got a 1500 game coming up. I'm using a similar list to last time, but I'm having troubles coming up with some answers to anti-vehicle. The list is filled up at 1500 points, but that's not my set or final list. There are lots of options to choose from, so I'll be swapping things in and out.

Some things I am trying out.

Lictor/Ravener/Mawloc combo.

I want to try and drop the Red Terror into the backfield, with lictor help. I want to DS them into cover, and then go character hunting with the Red Terror. Another idea I want to try is: Assault a lictor brood into combat, then DS a Mawloc into the back end of the combat. I can place it so I don't hit the lictors at all, and possibly get them out of combat to boot.

Those ideas I'd like to stay with.

That being said, here's my list.

== HQ ==
Hive Tyrant Brood (385 pts.)
Hive Tyrant (1) - The Reaper Of Obliterax, Scything Talons, Thorax - Shreddershard Beetles, Adrenal Glands, Regeneration, Indescribable Horror = 275 pts.
Tyrant Guard (2) - Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands = 110 pts.

== Elites ==
Lictor Brood (2) = 100 pts.
Venomthrope Brood (2) = 90 pts.
Haruspex (1) - Adrenal Glands, Regeneration = 205 pts.

== Troops ==
Hormagaunt Brood (30) = 150 pts.
Termagant Brood (30) - Fleshborer = 120 pts.
Tyranid Warrior Brood (3) - Rending Claws, Scything Talons = 105 pts.

== Fast Attack ==
The Red Terror Brood (175 pts.)
The Red Terror (1) = 85 pts.
Ravener (3) - Scything Talons = 90 pts.

== Heavy Support ==
Mawloc (1) - Regeneration = 170 pts.

== Total ==
1500 pts.

(Also, tons of thanks to Frostbergs for the awesome Army builder program. =)

The big one I can see is dropping the Haruspex for Zoanthropes or Hiveguard, which may happen. I just been having such a great run with the haruspex so far. It really is a beast in combat. Is it anti-vehicle? Maybe, but it's not the best use for it.

The other ones I can see filling in are a Tyrannofex with rupture cannon or a Carnifex Screamer-Killer. I was hoping to have more range anti-vehicle.

I could drop the reaper off the Hive Tyrant, and go Lashwhip/Bonesword-HVC. I do want to see what happens when a HT with it gets into combat. Personally, I think it'll be overkill, but that's why I like to try new things. =)

Probably not the strongest list, but I do want to try out some new ideas.

What avenue should I take for Anti-Vehicle. Also note, we don't play fliers until everyone has them, and my haruspex is also my exocrine, so I can't take both of em. =)

Thanks in advance for any help. =D

FotoGuy
Gold Vault Member

Re: 1500 list, need soem Anti-Vehicle ideas.

Post by FotoGuy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:55 am

This isn't the final list. Usually, I have something in there to deal with tanks. This time around, I did want to try some new ideas, which means I have to limit some of my other stuff. I may do some points shifting to get a third lictor and then use the Forest Formation from the Data slate.

It looks like I'll have to drop the Haruspex. The question is if I bring Zoans, Hive guard or a Tyrannofex, or even a Carnifex and run it up. I thought I'd poll everyone to see what they thought.

This is by no means a final list at all, it's going to get chopped up and moved around.

Tyranid96
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Tyranid96 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:29 am

Get rid of the Haruspex too big of a target that wont do anything till turn 2/3. Get a Exocrine in there or a tyrannofex.
Blood Angels: Angels Sanguine 10,000pts +
Tyranids: Hive Fleet Andromedous- 3.5k+
Orks: 2500 pts
Grey Knights: 1750+
IG: 1500+

Cygnar:224
Legion: 70
Retribution: 75

Ricer
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ricer » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:36 pm

Well you want more anti-vehicle ideas ... hmmm

Best option is drop Haruspex for a group of 3 Hive Guard (Strength 8 shots will help pop light vehicles).

Outside of that it looks like your goal is deep strike into enemy lines and hopefully survive to assault ... so if that is the goal then should be fine (only other issue I see is lack of synapse ... 1 Hive Tyrant and 1 group of Warriors).
Dark Angels Always Building completed up to 3000 and more
Nids 1850pts completed
Cygnar - Commandos

Vespan
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Vespan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:40 am

Any monstrouos creature that can get into meele is great anti-vehicle- including your Tyrant. Flyrant with devourers can score few glances on most vehicles. Furthemore your Lictors dont scatter so you can deep strike them behind and get some S6 shots from flesh hooks on rear armor and if they will survive followng turn they can charge and destory it with ease in mele. People say they die too easily, but the truth is that if you place them in right spot, and provide enemy with more pressing threats than lictors, they will be fine :)
As for Mawloc's I really like them and use 2 in 1500 list. But regeneration on them seems like a waste of points.

In 1850 point list i will be running 2 crones. 2x2 twin-linked haywire shots and S8 vector strikes also do the job. Unfortunately crones are expensive (I mean money) and it's best to use at least 2....

Vespan
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Vespan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:11 am

You have a point Hedonismbot.
Other choices would be Hive Guard (with BS3 is lame, but no cover is very helpful vs high cover save on eldar vehicles), Exocrine with 24" range, Zoanthropes with 18", and rupture cannon that has rather low chance to hit- it would be more appealing with ap1 or 2 for greater chance of scoring a good effect on penetration. All will depend on playstyle.
The list that is most appealing to me consist of, in it's core, of 2 flyrants, 2 crones and 2 mawlocs, that hopefully come early. 6 MC's with great kill potential vs most dangerous/ high priority targets keep enemy busy, while rest of army dvances.
Tyranid armies that consist of hordes and slow-advancing MC's tend to get shot before they can do anything. And they don't put much pressure on enemy early on. Also havning 4 FMC forces enemy to choose targets carefuly and prioritize. I too often see battle reports, where sole Flyrant files forward, scores few hits and dies next turn providing easy first blood ans slay the warlord for enemy.

Vespan
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Vespan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:39 am

Hedonismbot wrote: If it can't fully move over you or has no place to end it's move afterwards a flying monster can't vector strike you, plus the max range for it to do so is only 24 inches compared to the helldrake's 36. A smart player can often guarentee themselves an extra turn or two of shooting to take down the flier.
About Crone vector striking - I will make separate post for that, becouse people tend to interpret some rules differently. Check it out and tell me what you think :)