Really hoping the New codex does not suck

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
Sniperfex
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Re: Really hoping the New codex does not suck

Post by Sniperfex » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:11 am

flying circus nids? ew no thanks
"Do you really want to waste your time
Wake up and live your life
I want to be your chemical ride"

Sniperfex, ruining people's hopes and dreams since 1993

roanmag
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by roanmag » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:18 am

sniperfex, i don't say, it's fun, but i think such a list could have results, that's all.
and i don't speak about the price of sush an army
i just say that if we agree to think in other way, we could find some options

the other army don't use either the weakest part of their codex(i haven't seen any banshee, vespid, or things like that lately)
Last edited by roanmag on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

savoycabbage
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by savoycabbage » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:22 am

I kind of think that all of this is a bit premature and all too predictable.

Every time a new codex comes out, there is always a backlash against it from people losing their favourite list.

Lets face it, being able to have 5 T6 6W MC's in an army list, 3 of which were troops and all psykers, was a bit overpowered. Particularly when you could do it so cheaply and with very little in the way of drawback. How many of us have sat a tervigon on an objective in area terrain and sat with a 4+ cover save while the enemy tries to bombard you off? That's pretty ridiculous.

Granted the previous codex didn't have much else going for it, but imagine how stupid it would have been if we'd gotten all the buffs people wanted as well as keeping that?

I know that other things aren't as good etc. and the things that needed buffing didn't get it, but how about waiting until we've played a few games with the new codex before we start declaring that the codex is ruined? Just because you can't immediately see what is a good list, doesn't mean that there aren't brand new lists that use stuff you'd never thought of using that would work.

Sniperfex
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Sniperfex » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:26 am

Don't get me wrong. This codex has potential, like every other Codex, including Dark Angels

But this is a toughy codex... Again we're running an uphill battle.

I'm going to use a nid army this Thursday at 2000 points against a Dark Angel and Space Wolf list...

hopefully it will end better than I expect it too

roanmag
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by roanmag » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:36 am

the problem is anyone has his favorite unit: some prefer genestealers(personnaly i dislike them), some MC, other gaunts, GW can't allow all this kind of unit to be really strong or the army will be unbalanced because of the synergy between them
as a player you always have to choose between the effective unit of your codex and the unit you like in order to make something, i remembered the time i had to play some stealers even if i don't like them, i just played other unit that i like with them

francisco
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by francisco » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:43 am

why are you so worried about tervigons? I mean yea 6 wounds T6, like if thats a really issue vs the current plasma spawm, melta spawm, long range ap2/3 and grav guns, tervigons were made to absorv dmg and 4+ cover? just to very specyfic type of terrain, mostly were 5+, the things that would bump up on them its the eternal warriors and the obvious increasing T to make em survivable and was broken...

The thing is, what they were good for?
- synapse
- absorv wounds
- spawm gaunts

They were awfull in melee and certaintly hardly a decent range at all.
You can still spawm tervigons despite now the list been increased on cost for the tervigon and decreased on gaunts cost.
most of the lists with tervigon spawm was seen at 1750pts or so (5 tervigons + 3 broods of 30 gaunts cost 1335pts, before would cost 1000pts with 30 gaunts)
They do in fact got virtually no defence other than 5+ cover vs anti monster weaponry, they can´t bump up their T which would make it easier to absorv wounds, they can´t guaraantee at least a Fnp like before, they cant get eternal warriors since its so easy to get that now with 5 wraaiths with d-scythes for example.
On the other hand now you will see tervigons with 3+ cover cause people will start to field venomthropes for that.

In the end people will get a bigger synapse backlash which means tervigons will spawm dominion more often.
Tyranids are still adapting...

I do just play with 1 tervigon and at most 2 and that was the only beast that I could afford not to lose so far cause he wasnt an offensive beast and kept at range.
Monsters with 6 wounds drop in a turn nowadays and you got no methods to prevent that unless you get venomthropes...

I dont like the codex overall as despite I dont play for meta, for choices I want to make I can only decide to play for fun now, wishing I had 1 unit or 2 to counter the current meta that has been seen in the game and having a chance to fight that back like eldar and tau alliance and DE, tyranids can´t defend themselves for that kind of level of playing anymore... and there is no syenergy bettewn this, its just stacking broken combos from diferent codexes, something tyranids never had acess to...
[youtube]gTWo9oLJOWk[/youtube]

Sniperfex

Post by Sniperfex » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:30 am

heck, made a 2,500 Point list just now. Filled an entire Force Org chart

Hive Tyrant, with Scything Talons, Bonesword, Lash Whip, Old Adversary, Regeneration, Shreddarshard Throax Swarm 240

2 Tyrant Guard 100

Tyranid Prime, with Flesh Hooks, Norn Crown, Maw Claws 180

30 Termagants with 3 Strangle webs thrown in 135

15 Termagants with Spike Rifles 60

15 Termagants with Spike Rifles 60

3 Tyranid Warriors, with 2 Deathspitters and a Barbed Strangler 110

Tervigon, with Cluster Spines 200

20 Hormagaunts, with Toxin Sacs 160

2 Venomthropes 90

2 Venomthropes 90

2 Zoanthropes 100

3 Raveners, with Rending Claws 105

10 Gargoyles 60

10 Gargoyles 60

2 Carnifex, with Bioplasma, Regeneration 340

Exocrine, with Regeneration 200

Tyrannofex, with Fleshborer Hive, Regeneration 210

2,500 POINTS bang on. 136 models?

I know nids can do better, but this is stretching my model count, even with proxies...

No fliers, no problems... My group don't have any fliers aside from me and a Salamander player

but heck, this list is designed to be as a Tyranid list should be. Horde with creature support

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:10 pm

I've only glanced through it, but I think some people are missing the point that TE touched on: synergy.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

amir90
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by amir90 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:40 pm

Tervigon and hive guard getting normalized shouldn´t be a surprise to anyone. The tervigon getting massive nerf however was a bit ehh, shocking.

I never liked Tervigon spam though, so don´t care there.

I do like the new hive crone and exocrine, will be buying one of each kit tomorrow with a hardcover codex (I won´t stop playing, so might as well buy it now for availability).