Manta Log

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
Concreteus
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: Manta Log

Post by Concreteus » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:12 pm

rhothy wrote:I think when you ink or oil wash the cracks that the color will really pop.

I can't wait to see more. I litterally check back everyday for updates.
Thanks for watching this project then. I do try to do as much as I can on this when I can.

So today's update I taped up the Manta so I could start the 1st coat level on some of the detail parts of the Manta.

Here it is all taped up and ready to go, just doing this part alone took a good 30 mins as I wanted to restrict the amount of paint that touches the original coat. I will have to make a few final touch ups near the end but minimizing this last stage will help drastically later on.

Just the simply plain black undercoat before the colour is added.

Here is a sample of the engine and break line colour, it's a little wet still in this picture so it dried up looking a lot nicer than it shows in this picture. Nearly like a dusty brown, as if it picked up dust flying through space.

Here is a better view from a distance, I'm quite happy with how this first stage turned out. The brown really helps the blues and greens of the base colour pop out.

Finally the few little metal parts I painted on the Manta. It's my attempt at a NNM and when it dried I was quite happy with how it turn out.

Sorry that I haven't taken the tape off for this pictures however I have to wait for the paint to be completely dry before doing this or it will peel off what I've painted.

I'm considering at a latter stage putting some Tau text along the engine like a warning scripture of a kind. I'd have to create a template for this but I think it might look good at the end, I'll simply wait until I add the black parts next then I'll give it some more consideration. What do you think?

Well that's this part done anyway.

rhothy
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by rhothy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:37 pm

Im dying for more pics!
40k - Tyranids - 7k pts (Forgeworld 2k pts)
40k - Tau - 3k pts
Fantasy - Orcs & goblins 5k pts
Warmachine - Menoth 50 pts
Blood Bowl - humans, orcs, halflings, skaven

"If only painting miniatures was as easy and fast as buying them."

Concreteus

Post by Concreteus » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:46 pm

Sorry there rhothy for the slow progress , I didn't think that many people had interest in this project and my time is kind of limited so I can only work on it some of the time.

Well here is a small update on where I'm currently at.

This is the overall picture. Don't worry about that shine on the black in this picture as that is from a protective coat I put on to stop the paint from scratching off between painting. I've had this problem a little bit with this model and this is the best way to prevent it happening again. The shine will ware away when it dries.

Here you can see the shine is starting already to fade and I'm happy with how the base colours have come along.

Now I do have a question for the community with this part. I'm considering placing some Tau scripture along the engine vents (red) as like a warning gets hot type of thing as well as in some other places perhaps. Would this be a good idea or is keeping it simple best?

Finally this is the next part I'm beginning to work on, it's the top cover that hides the giant gap you've been able to see thus far in the top. As you can see the flash in this part is in a giant pain in the butt section and will require a good amount of fixing, not only this but the side part will require a generous amount of greenstuff work as it has a huge mis-mold part in it.

I'll try and get this done and put on soon.

Thank you all for helping support this project.

rhothy
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by rhothy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:53 pm

I think that that would look really cool, but with the size of the model and all of the work that needs doing. You might want to wait to do it as finishing touches. Or at least do a test of what it will/would look like.

it looks really good so far though.
40k - Tau - 3k pts

TheTemplar
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by TheTemplar » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:33 am

Looks like it's coming together nicely man!
Black Templars - 3000+ points
Owned
[||||||||||]
Assembled
[||||||||||]
Painted
[||||||||||]

Concreteus

Post by Concreteus » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:05 am

I just finished painting the top cover in the main colours so I thought I'd post a little update.

So here is the top part in undercoat, undercoat highlighting and finally top coat + highlights in main colour. The first two pictures show the greenstuff work that had to happen before the undercoat black could go on. I used an orbital to take the greenstuff off to a nice smooth finish. On a project this size the orbital sander is brilliant.

Side note I did touch up those scratches you can see before I ran out of that colour.

This is close to the final colour, although some how even though I mixed from the same colour pot there is a slight variation between this top part and the rest of the body so I will need to darken it a little so it blends in more, however this isn't really a problem.

I did unfortunately run out of my main colour and rang up to order a couple more pots today however they won't be here for a little while so I'll have to start doing the smaller parts while I wait so the updates will be a little bit slower for the moment.

Here is the ramp, as you can see I had to shave a lot off of it to fix it, also I had to greenstuff a little wing on that wasn't cast so that it will slide at the end of the project.

Well that's it for the moment, I'll try and start to get some of the more fiddly bits doe while I wait for the paint however it's a bad time of year to start ordering stuff so it might take a little while for it to arrive.

rhothy
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by rhothy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:00 am

when you get to it can you show some up close pictures of the hanger bay?
40k - Tau - 3k pts