Manta Log

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
Concreteus
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: Manta Log

Post by Concreteus » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:34 am

So a tiny update today, I just finished sanding the greenstuff on the underneath of the fusalage which took a good couple of hours with 3 sanding sponges and a knife to get looking decent.

I'm hoping to get the undercoat re-sprayed, the basecoat whitecoat done as well as the base colour put on in the next step. So look forward to the next part.

TheTemplar
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by TheTemplar » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:48 am

Awwww yiss
Black Templars - 3000+ points
Owned
[||||||||||]
Assembled
[||||||||||]
Painted
[||||||||||]

BewareOfTom
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by BewareOfTom » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:11 am

man, I would still complain to FW and try to get another piece, then you can start an amazing ork army or have a wreck marker WIP :D
I have half a mind to kill you, and the other half agrees

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

Concreteus

Post by Concreteus » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:22 am

BewareOfTom wrote:man, I would still complain to FW and try to get another piece, then you can start an amazing ork army or have a wreck marker WIP :D
This is actually one of the better casts of a Manta that I've seen. The bad ones are when the rails don't properly align. When this happens you need a heatgun on it for hours before it will slide into place.

Concreteus

Post by Concreteus » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:57 pm

I managed to re-prime the bottom today as well as put the base colour on, do the shading and the edge highlights.

The blue in this picure really stands out however when actually looking at it, it's not that bright.

Here's the edge highlighting on the 1st layer, I've done it so it looks like it's generating heat on the edge of the panels.

This is after I've applied the second highlight to the edge. You can see the final blue colour in this photo which is a lot better than the super bright blue colour you saw before.

Tomorrow when it's safe to touch I'll spin it around and hit the back side, then I have to do taping work before I can paint the metal parts (which I'm doing it grey). Before I do the top I'll matt coat it so it's protected a bit more when I flip it.

Concreteus

Post by Concreteus » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:09 pm

On a side note I had a Apoc game on the weekend and used the broken Manta that this one is replacing for the first time.

Overall the event was a huge amount of fun and my opponents for the most part were great people. The first two games were great, in the first one I managed to table my opponent without taking too much damage thanks to my choice of stratagems and a great first round of shooting.

The second game was much much closer with me just scraping by with a minor win against the nids. This was probably my favorite game of the tournament as it cam right down to the last turn and a close game is always the most fun.

The third game however was against a nightmare of a team due to one person on their teaming telling them everything to do instead of letting them play the game on their own terms. Not only this but I had an argument over the Manta with this person.

Due to a very weird board set up due to the mission I had to deploy the Manta in the middle of my zone and he deployed a small squad of people in no mans land (scouts). I killed them but he had second turn and decided to land a venom on the objective. No big deal right?

So in every game in the tournament so far we've just placed any models where the Manta was going on the base that I had constructed to keep everything smooth and flowing in the game, however this guy would not let me do this saying that if I couldn't place it then it was destroyed effectively forcing me to however in spot the entire game.

So now next time I bring this Manta I'm going to instead of having a nice looking base , I'm going to put 3 metal rods with corks on the end so that I can place it anywhere. This upsets me greatly as I think a nice looking base is just a lot better but apparently some people just want to spoil the fun.

rhothy
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by rhothy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:39 am

id love to see the pics of your old manta... please share.
40k - Tyranids - 7k pts (Forgeworld 2k pts)
40k - Tau - 3k pts
Fantasy - Orcs & goblins 5k pts
Warmachine - Menoth 50 pts
Blood Bowl - humans, orcs, halflings, skaven

"If only painting miniatures was as easy and fast as buying them."

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:44 am

What about making it so the base is removable so you can deal with that butt?
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Concreteus

Post by Concreteus » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:39 am

Marit Lage wrote:What about making it so the base is removable so you can deal with that butt?
The base is removable, that will not solve the problem as it will actually take up more room if I put the model on the table. The base I have is a lot smaller than the Manta itself.

This person simply wanted to find an easy way to deal with the problem and remove it from the game, they didn't actually want to play a fun game, just a game they wanted to win.

It's not a huge problem as I simply will not play this person again, there are plenty of reasonable people in the area. Even his team members are actually good guys so I'll simply try and avoid him in the future.

Marit Lage
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:46 am

I was referring to making the stilts strong enough to stand up in the air on its own, and be able to reattach firmly to the base. It would make for some cool pictures, and let it fly over buildings easily.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

TheTemplar
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by TheTemplar » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:56 am

Maybe if you actually make the guns shoot, you can just blow up the men in your way and then move the manta. Of course the cork idea might be a bit easier to do.
Black Templars - 3000+ points
Owned
[||||||||||]
Assembled
[||||||||||]
Painted
[||||||||||]

Concreteus

Post by Concreteus » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:31 am

Marit Lage wrote:I was referring to making the stilts strong enough to stand up in the air on its own, and be able to reattach firmly to the base. It would make for some cool pictures, and let it fly over buildings easily.
The stilts are strong enough to be able to do that, however the reason I don't do it is the bottom of the rods would take the paint off the table and that would be inconsiderate to those that painted them.

Man it was so depressing that I nearly gave up painted this one but when I started to put the paint on it all the excitement came flooding back.

Sniperfex
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Sniperfex » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:56 am

oh this is gettin' good
"Do you really want to waste your time
Wake up and live your life
I want to be your chemical ride"

Sniperfex, ruining people's hopes and dreams since 1993

Concreteus

Post by Concreteus » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:00 pm

Well the main colour is on the top of the hull now and I'm really happy with how it turn out.

Here is a picutre of the undercoat I put on. The reason I did it this way is so that when the base colour goes on it highlights the sections painted in white a bit more than the parts in black.

This is the overall main colour. Don't worry there will be more colours than that. I intend to add greys, metals and blacks.

The image doesn't show it really well but this edge is more green that blends into the blue main colour.

The strips that you can see that break up the wings were actually my solution to the problem I had with the different heights of the wings. I got some 1.5mm rubber strip and cut them into the thin strips you see here and then joined them to make a pattern to cover the pitfall. I'm intending to paint these black to help break the sections up.

rhothy
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by rhothy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:26 am

I think when you ink or oil wash the cracks that the color will really pop.

I can't wait to see more. I litterally check back everyday for updates.
40k - Tyranids - 7k pts (Forgeworld 2k pts)
40k - Tau - 3k pts
Fantasy - Orcs & goblins 5k pts
Warmachine - Menoth 50 pts
Blood Bowl - humans, orcs, halflings, skaven

"If only painting miniatures was as easy and fast as buying them."