Manta Log

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
Concreteus
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Manta Log

Post by Concreteus » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:48 am

So I've purchased a Manta and I thought it would be a good idea to make a little log here to help me make sure that I finish this project unlike so many others I've had in the past.

A little history on this project is that I ordered my 1st one and it was so damaged by the time it got to me I had to email FW to ask them to send me another, which I'm glad to inform people that they did and in a reasonable time as well so my thanks goes to FW for that. Most companies would simply leave you hanging.

I'm not saying that the new one is not completely unbroken but what is damaged I can live with.

Below are a couple pictures of my 1st days progress, which after 8 hours of filing, sawing and sanding might not look like a lot but I think I've done OK with what I've achieved.

This is just a picture of some of the tools I would recommend if you are thinking about building one of these beasts. In Short a sharp chisel, hammer, hacksaw and sanding sponge (several I've already used 2 and that's only on the parts you can see below).

The resin left here is only from these few parts, there is just so much flash it's amazing. The picture doesn't show the huge amount of resin dust that was on the table after just a little work. That's another tip, do this project outside as there it makes a lot of mess.

This shows the flash on a small section of the manta, however this is also one of the most solid pieces in the entire kit and if not cleaned properly I believe it will cause huge problems later in the assembly.

The last picture for the moment shows the rear upper access to the manta. You can see the warping in the ramp here which I have fixed by using hot water, bending where required, cooling and repeating until it was straight. Another huge problem that I had with this section was the cover that hid the ramp only had 1 notch to hit the hinge, so I had to spend 30-ish minutes to chisel out. It turned out much better then I expected.

The pieces that aren't aligned in this picture straightened up a lot when the ramp was fixed, however there is still a little gap there which I will have to fix with green stuff when I get to that phase.

A little side note as well, I think it's a good idea to paint this section before gluing it together or I think it will be much more difficult then it should have to be.

Well I'll post some more pictures when I get some more work done on this project.

Total Project Time: 8 Hours
Last edited by Concreteus on Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sniperfex
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Re: Manta Log

Post by Sniperfex » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:59 am

best of wishes to you mate. I've never seen a manta project on this forum or any other...

I think it's safe to say everyone here, is proud to have you as a Battle Brother
"Do you really want to waste your time
Wake up and live your life
I want to be your chemical ride"

Sniperfex, ruining people's hopes and dreams since 1993

Concreteus

Post by Concreteus » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:14 am

Thank you very much Sniperfex for your words of support.

I to have never seen a Manta Project on any forum and even finding anything on these beasts online is difficult. This I suspect is mainly due to how few of these bad boys are out there (My number is 82 so that just shows how few exist) and obviously the cost.

I'll throw this in there as well, day 1 I managed to basically cut myself with the resin pretty good as well. This amused me greatly as I use sharp stuff all the time and to cut myself this good on resin made me laugh.

Sniperfex
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Sniperfex » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:33 am

I'm sure you're aware of the danger the resin is, you know being inhaled and all. I'd avoid getting any into a wound just in case. That and I've done it with the GW resin, and it stings like a female dog.

Probably more so with the Forge World resin

rhothy
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by rhothy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:43 pm

ive been wanting to either get a manta or a zone mortalis board. but let me tell you that for 1200 bucks wouldnt accept anything but perfect casted pieces. thats alot of cash to spend on a not prfect model
40k - Tyranids - 7k pts (Forgeworld 2k pts)
40k - Tau - 3k pts
Fantasy - Orcs & goblins 5k pts
Warmachine - Menoth 50 pts
Blood Bowl - humans, orcs, halflings, skaven

"If only painting miniatures was as easy and fast as buying them."

rhothy
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by rhothy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:43 pm

post more pics please

I want to get one and then cast extra parts so i can build covrered eith crashed manta and orchas.

would be dope
40k - Tau - 3k pts

Concreteus

Post by Concreteus » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:39 pm

So I've done about 4 more hours work on it done today and I don't mind saying that it was a fair bit of work for really only 5 pieces, however it is the main part of the hull so I expected some considerable effort to be put in.

So after 2 hours of filing and sanding, I neatened it up to where I was happy and then did a dry fit of the pieces only to realize that you need a set of clamps in order to hold it together while it drys as the pieces don't line up without a considerable amount of force.

So I went and brought a set of clamps, dry fit it to make sure it was ok and then I glued it together. I haven't put the main bottom piece on yet as it needs to be painted before being fixed in place or it will be impossible to paint. However I did notice that when I dry fit it that the molds didn't completely line up meaning that after I get it assembled and base coated that I will have a considerable amount of green stuffing to do in order to rectify this.

This is how it ended up after I went at it with a hacksaw and a sanding sponge. It looks a bit ugly but will be covered when the other pieces go on and I've already checked that all the other pieces line up accordingly when placed on. However I just got an orbital sander and will hit it with it after the next assembly stage.

This is another problem I had. The main part of the hull which holds a lot of weight when completed had sheared a little in the molding process. To fix it I basically wielding it back together with Gale Force Nine Adhesive. This is the best glue that I have ever used and will hold everything, Resin, Metal or Plastic it's simply fantastic.

Also I had to straighten this rail up as it was severally warped, to do so I simply did what I mentioned above with the hot water.

Assembled and waiting to dry. The rear part is not in the assembled state. I'm simply using it here to lock in the rear so that when the front glued part dries it ensures that the back will be where I want it to be.

The clamps are a must, I'm a big guy and I had to apply considerable force to get this to how you see it here. Without clamps you'd be holding this for about 8 hours.

The next stage is painting the secondary hull piece (which is a huge chuck of resin) before I assemble it to this piece. I'm hoping the paint I ordered arrives in the next couple of days.

Total Project Time: 12 Hours

Marit Lage
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:21 am

This is probably one of the coolest things I've seen on this site so far.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Sniperfex

Post by Sniperfex » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:39 am

rhothy
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by rhothy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:35 pm

i want to see more!!!
40k - Tau - 3k pts

Concreteus

Post by Concreteus » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:51 am

Sorry for the slow update today however I've been busy so I managed another 6 hours today, 4 were spent painting the cockpit that had to be painted before the assembly could progress to the next stage and the other 2 were spent trying to assemble the main fuselage to the front main section.

So here is the painted cockpit. I didn't spend a lot of time on it as you can barely see these guys when the model is complete, you can truly only see the tops of the screens but I decided to paint all the control panels and radar screens on the screens, unfortunately you can not see it from this angle however if you can see it at the end I'll take another one then.

OK, so this is where all the problems with the Manta start to occur. When putting the bottom front part with the front you have to align the front so it looks like it all lines up nice and neat, however when doing this you create this massive gap on the inside, in real life it's about an inch. On the other side it lines up perfectly. There is nothing you can really do and I thought it would create a huge problem so I dry fir some of the other parts to see if I could find out what the problem will be however I couldn't find anything yet....

So here is another rather large problem I encountered. The bottom piece and the top piece simply do not sit flat with each other. To solve this problem as best as I could I had to use 2 sets of clamps to lock them down together while the glue dries.

You can see the actual cockpit starts to seperate in this picture as the bottom half on the top half form the whole and because they don't line up properly this problem arises. This is made worse when you level the two pieces up as it widens this gap.

Here are the clamps attempting to hold this thing together and address the issues where the top and the bottom don't align.

The final problem I have noticed is when I place the front nose on the existing cockpit. While the top aligns beautifully and the bottom aligns where it should it seems that the bottom has a huge piece of resin that sticks out about 2 inchs to where it should be as in the model is 2 inchs thicker then it should be in this section.

It will be impossible to heat this up or grind it down (as detail will be massively lost). The only way I can see doing something with it at the moment is to create a green stuff extension to the hull in which it makes the "Extra" bit look like it was suppose to be there. It's not all bad however as this extra thick resin piece I will be able to drill into later on to create a "flying stand" for the Manta.

potato32
Gold Vault Member

Post by potato32 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:20 am

I believe sincerely, that a Manta requires more than one rods for its stand. Have you considered this as well?

Concreteus

Post by Concreteus » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:55 am

potato32 wrote:I believe sincerely, that a Manta requires more than one rods for its stand. Have you considered this as well?
Yeah mate I know this and I plan to put 1 rod into this extra resin and 2 more more than likely in the wings which should be ample enough support even for this beast.

I'll probably use something like 12mm threaded rod

Pheonix
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Pheonix » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:03 am

wow, best of luck with this project, are you gonna paint it yourself or commission it?

Concreteus

Post by Concreteus » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:23 am

Pheonix wrote:wow, best of luck with this project, are you gonna paint it yourself or commission it?
While my painting skills aren't super high I'm still going to paint this one myself. I tried getting a commission one before as I was working overseas and was returning home near my areas largest apoc game, however when it was shipped to me it was completely destroyed so I basically lost everything I paid for and I received nothing in return.