Converting up a Hellbrute

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Converting up a Hellbrute

Post by Arnathos » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:16 pm

I don't know if it is exactly the right forum for this, but:

I have an old(When I say old I mean circa 2004, I doubt its OOP) Vanilla space marine Dreadnaught laying around from my 'buy models I think look cool' phase. I also have 2 IG autocannons lying around. Now the model would need to be stripped of paint(its purple, and while an awesome colour, cramps my Word bearers' style) then carved into and greenstuffed to be more chaosy and hellbrute-y.

But is it worth having a Reaper(autocannon) Hellbrute in this day and codex?

I doubt I will ever be starting space marines, so the model is just collecting dust on a shelf, it would be nice to get some use out of it, maybe.

So what do you experts think? Convert it, or let it be?
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

psychoticbuzzsaw
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Converting up a Hellbrute

Post by psychoticbuzzsaw » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:05 am

Convert it add a missle launcher it should be in the kit. if you get a glance or pen and roll crazed the next round hopefully you will be in the 48 in range and can fire twice at the unit that hit the dread

Arnathos
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:00 am

All I have left is the Assault cannon, the power fist arm and the heavy flamer and stormbolter that go into said power fist. I gave away all the bits like lascannons and such away many, many years ago. I have some IG autocannons laying around, just wondering if I should add them to the dreadnaught to make it into a hellbrute with a ton of greenstuffing.

Another option is ofcourse to just use the autocannons to make autocannon havocs out of the CSM Heavy bolters, which might be a better idea.

Its just sad because the dread is basically a glorified paperweight atm.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Sniperfex
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Sniperfex » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:53 pm

convert it with the auto cannon... it may not be worth it... but it would be a fantastic conversion... you must post pictures! :D
"Do you really want to waste your time
Wake up and live your life
I want to be your chemical ride"

Sniperfex, ruining people's hopes and dreams since 1993

psychoticbuzzsaw
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by psychoticbuzzsaw » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:33 am

Sniperfex wrote:convert it with the auto cannon... it may not be worth it... but it would be a fantastic conversion... you must post pictures! :D

I agree, and i know its hard not to make those sexy auto cannon conversions I love em.

Magnus01
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Magnus01 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:05 pm

I think if your good with green stuffing try to make all the fleshy warped bits on the dreadnought with what the hell brute would usually have. This is completely on the basis of looks and 'I think it will look awesome' feel.
Must. Kill. Matt. Ward.

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:08 pm

Well I'm not too comfortable with greenstuff yet, but I don't think chaosing up a vanilla dread should be too much trouble. I'm just wondering if its useful, especially since I only have the 2 autocannons left, but I guess I could just get some more weapon teams for my IG later and convert me up some autocannon havocs as well.

I do love autocannons, for the style of them more than anything, they are like a real man's machine gun.

But I guess I'll go ahead and convert it, after I strip the paint and finish painting my DV stuff! :D

Thanks for the input guys!
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Magnus01
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Magnus01 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:21 pm

Well don't worry about the green stuff then. However if you love auto cannons and you only have 2 left Forge World just got a new auto cannon kit here.
Must. Kill. Matt. Ward.

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:34 am

So my attempt at converting a hellbrute:

The close combat arm is a bit busy, but meh, I'll roll with it, it should look better with some paint slapped onto it.

I'm hardly a pro at this, and yes I know, fingerprints, I've decided to just use it as a fleshy muscle like pattern, as I hardly have the proper tools anyway, I've also posted this in my WIP(click word bearers in my sig) thing, but that section of the forum is pretty much abandoned.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Whitewing
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Whitewing » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:38 am

haha, I was gonna say the exact same thing about the combat arm! This seems like the kind of model that's really finished with the paint, at this point it's almost like looking at a model that isn't finished being built yet.

Have some confidence, it'll look great!
Check out my Chaos Daemons Tactica! I'm super proud of it :D

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:48 am

I think it looks cool! One thing I've noticed is that Liquid Greenstuff is perfect for covering finger prints, just water it down a bit and apply with an old brush.

Keep up the good work!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

BunkhouseBuster
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by BunkhouseBuster » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:14 am

Looks like a Helbrute to me! Awesome work.

My only comment is that the barrels on the Autocannons aren't drilled out. Otherwise, I'd call it nearly perfect.
My Wargaming Collections
Space Wolves and Space Marines
Lizardmen
Astra Militarum
Khador

Dante The Dark Angel
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Dante The Dark Angel » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:15 pm

Sweet mother of Khorne, I LIKE IT.
Warmachine/Hordes
Khador: 155 points, 8 casters

Warhammer 40k
Dark Angels: About 4,000 points** *Indefinite Hiatus*
Crimson Fists: Will start...eventually...

**Needs re-worked points estimate

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:08 am

Thanks for the nice comments everyone! :D

And Bunkhouse, thanks for the idea! I hadn't thought of drilling out the auto cannons:

I think I'll stick with the fingerprints with this one though, although I wlll have to remember Liquid greenstuff in the future, chaos is very conversion prone! :D
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:00 am

Right, I got the thing pretty much done, it still needs a bit of a boltgun metal drybrush over the black parts, but its pretty much done, let me know if you spot any mistakes:

So the Spike/arm/tongue thing that was in the horrors' mouth fell off during assembly, I decided to leave it off as I kind of love the gaping hole of energy thing it created, but overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The base still needs doing though.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB: