Iron Warriors?

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
kilpikonnas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Iron Warriors?

Post by kilpikonnas » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:33 am

Hello there, Iron warriors are a legion that interests me. I like their type of tactics siege warfare and defenses, I like their look and the sadly little fluff I've read. I also like to making fluffy army lists that are still effective, and was wondering what would be the effective choices be, especially for heavy support, so many options. Any type of help is appreciated be it with whats useful or places to find more fluff for me to read :D
Working on an Ork army
Looted Ravager WIP

Magnus01
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Re: Iron Warriors?

Post by Magnus01 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:23 am

Well Iron Warriors are very mechanised and heavy so include heavy weaponry and vehicles. Also include oblitirators because in a iron warriors book (forgot which one) they were injecting marines with a drug that turned them into oblitirators. Also include the Warpsmith due to him having Iron Warriors origin and is highly involved in mechanised things.
Must. Kill. Matt. Ward.

Bujiga
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Bujiga » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:58 am

Warp Smith HQ

Some Chaos Space Marines with the Iron Warriors upgrade pack would look sweet.

Your Heavy Support is whats going to be the problem as you have way to many options. I would probably get a group of 3 Obliterators and 2 Forgefiends with Ecoplasma Cannons. You also have the choice of Havocs.

I would also get some sort of fortification. Perhaps an Aegis Defence Line.

sargos
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by sargos » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:43 am

i like vindictors in my iron warriors army
obliti,csm las-cannons,termirs,hellbrute any demon-machine thing u can find

my list will be base on 2-3 10 man squad's with plasma+las-cannon(dunno why i took it it just seem right)
vidicators+obliti as heavy

TheCajanator
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by TheCajanator » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:17 pm

Going for fluff Vindicators, Preadators and Obliterators are the way to go. Also as mentioned above an aegis defense line is not only very fluffy but also very good. (give it a quad gun =D) Forgefiends, while technically not the the iron warriors fluff, I can see them being used by the iron warriors.
A vindicator with a siege shield is about as iconic as an iron warriors army can get.

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:46 pm

I forgot where I saw this but in either a book or something it was mentioned that a more often than not certain Iron Warrior groups tend to get a bit Khornish. I might be wrong but its just an idea to throw out there. Dont pick zerkers IMO maybe just chuck some MoK on some basic units of CSM. Again up to you.
'Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. But those who understand realise that you have no right to let them live.'
-In Exterminatus Extremis

LordOfTheUndead
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by LordOfTheUndead » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:16 am

Also consider taking IG as allies. A platoon can replace cultists and taking a battery of artillery seems like a good fluffy choice.

Magnus01

Post by Magnus01 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:50 am

I don't think Iron Warriors utilise cultists that much. They are a legion like World Eaters who don't like to use them unlike Word Bearers, Thousand Sons and Alpha legion who utilise them tonnes. It's just their preferred tactic. However crunch wise it would be really good but kilpikonnas wants a fluffy list. Good tactic but kilpikonnas doesn't want it.
Must. Kill. Matt. Ward.

Bujiga

Post by Bujiga » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:11 am

Im pretty sure Iron Warriors utilise cultists a lot. My friend told me a story about they were using Cultists to test the range of the enemys guns/artilary.

Magnus01

Post by Magnus01 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:22 am

That was used to experiment with artillery not used to fight in battle.
Must. Kill. Matt. Ward.

Zeruel13
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Zeruel13 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:24 am

Iron Warriors are probably the third largest user of in battle cultists in my mind with Word Bearers and Black Legion taking the top slots. They send them into battle in droves to deplete enemy ammo, test artillery ranges, clear minefields, provide weight of fire, dig trenches and so on.

kilpikonnas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by kilpikonnas » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:00 am

yes they do indeed send cultists or slaves in droves :)

For the daemon engines most of them say highly used by Iron Warriors.

So basically everything but fast attack, and a lot of the elites.

So glad at 2k can add more heavy support
Working on an Ork army
Looted Ravager WIP

Zeruel13

Post by Zeruel13 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:04 am

Why not most of the Elites?

Iron Warriors surely have Chosen, Terminators and Helbrutes. An older codex also described them as having Possessed but they were Chaos Marines with Daemon bound bionics and not more traditional possessed. Also they utilize Berserkers in the book Storm of Iron. You can rationalize most anything really. You don't think sonic weapons wouldn't come in handy in siege warfare shaking down foundations and slaughtering the enemy regardless of cover?

Magnus01

Post by Magnus01 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:24 am

Zeruel13 wrote:Iron Warriors are probably the third largest user of in battle cultists in my mind with Word Bearers and Black Legion taking the top slots. They send them into battle in droves to deplete enemy ammo, test artillery ranges, clear minefields, provide weight of fire, dig trenches and so on.
I guess so. I was focusing on fighting other warriors I didn't take into account weapons testing, odd jobs and other stuff like that.
Must. Kill. Matt. Ward.

Zeruel13

Post by Zeruel13 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:34 am

What do you think Cultists are? They are cannon fodder no matter what Legion they are working for. You think Word Bearers expect them to kill an enemy Marine? Of course not. How I described them is exactly what they are in every Chaos Legion.