A Chaos Daemon Tactica (Updated)

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
TheSinisterUrge
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Re: A Chaos Daemon Tactica (Done, please critique)

Post by TheSinisterUrge » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:01 am

The only thing I have to add to the Tactica at the moment is in regards to certain Slaanesh units. After having played more than a few proxy games at home, I have found that Fiends are much better than Daemonettes in pretty much all situations. The extra wound, toughness and strength make them truly head and shoulders above Seekers for the same points worth of models. A smaller number of them makes it easier to grant them cover saves and makes them seem less threatening, though it may conversely make them more of a target in Annihilation games.

I tried a list variant of my Slaanesh/Tzeentch army where I substituted Seekers for Fiends so I could field more Flamers, and the Seekers definitely lacked that same punch. They were much easier for the other army to take out and make them a non-factor. If you are making a Slaanesh list, definitely take Fiends over Seekers where you are forced to make a decision.
HAPPINESS IS A MUSHROOM CLOUD, GIVE WAR A CHANCE!

Cygnar 264 points
Mercenaries 11 points
Legion of Everblight 135 points

bamsefar444
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by bamsefar444 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:38 pm

this is one of the best tactics on this forum i've read.. It really helps finding out what to use and not, and it is also clean and easy to understand.
Eldar: 4.2k (of which 1750 points is Headquarters alone)

Marsdreamer
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #2Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Marsdreamer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:02 pm

Thanks for the kind words. I will try to add more to this tactica as I think of new things or perhaps stumble upon new tactics that work well.

Was there anything that perhaps was not clear, or maybe something you wanted to add? If so, please let me know, and I will write it in.

Thanks for reading!
>>Mars out.
What I'm Working On:

Chaos Daemons - WIP
Tau - WIP

War, war never changes.

bamsefar444

Post by bamsefar444 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:54 pm

I looked over it again, and one thing that falls into mind is the fact that you example list is a bit messy..
First troops, then elite, then heavy. A bit chaotic.
Other than that i think its a fantastic tactica. One question; how old is the daemon codex?
Eldar: 4.2k (of which 1750 points is Headquarters alone)

Rangrok1k
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Rangrok1k » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:05 pm

I really like it. My friend is just starting and after discarding his first choice of army in necrons, he gravitated toward the more flexible Chaos Daemon army.

My only complaint is that It is a little unclear what is what in the FoC unless you have read the codex, or the second/third sentence in the unit description. Can you just add a label next to each name saying something like Korne HQ: or something like that.

Also a slight nitpick, the Zoanthrope Warp Lance is str 10 ap 1 lance that would be used more on soul grinders and not greater daemons. Warp lance is somewhat chancy, due to a decent BS and a psychic test required, making it work only about 50% of the time, and even then its just one wound. Most tyranid players would just throw genestealers with toxin sacs at the Great Daemon and use the zoanthropes warp blast (str 5 ap 3 small blast) on the bloodletters.

Anyways, amazing guide, I love it, and I think it will be very helpful.
Clearly, I'm a mere walking corpse, shambling through walls of text.

Inactive? Maybe...

tTarragonable
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by tTarragonable » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:17 pm

Nice Tactica! And cheers with help on the list, Mars, pics coming soon!

May I make a suggestion however? Perhaps you could do some cross-game-system comparisons.

So, taking Kairos as a brief example...
40K - Lord of change with a bump down. Chance of running away. Too expensive.
Fantasy - The most powerful mage in the game. Knows all the lores of magic.

That may be useful to those who want to play in both game systems (coughmecough)
ί ɳƐѵƐЯ ЯƐՇЯƐДՇ! ί ʝᕰֆՇ ДԃѵДɳϾƐ ίɳ ДɳӨՇɧƐЯ ԃίЯƐϾՇίӨɳ!
The Stern Brotherhood; Grey Knights - W1;L1;D0
Mork'z Own Speed Sneakz; Orkz - W8;L5;D2
Warp Incursion; Daemons - W2;L1;D1
THIS BE MY YOUTUBE.
Writer for the MWC blog

crysbat
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by crysbat » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:49 pm

tTarragonable wrote:Nice Tactica! And cheers with help on the list, Mars, pics coming soon!

May I make a suggestion however? Perhaps you could do some cross-game-system comparisons.

So, taking Kairos as a brief example...
40K - Lord of change with a bump down. Chance of running away. Too expensive.
Fantasy - The most powerful mage in the game. Knows all the lores of magic.

That may be useful to those who want to play in both game systems (coughmecough)

i think that a fantasy thread should really be separate, or in the fantasy board.
"I AM crysbat NUMBER ONE FAN!" - azeebo
"crysbat will only break break break your heart." - the A man
"Crysbat, you are win" - MasenkoEX
"IG is like 10" - Jason, my mate.

my wip

Marsdreamer
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #2Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Marsdreamer » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:45 pm

Rangrok1k wrote:My only complaint is that It is a little unclear what is what in the FoC unless you have read the codex, or the second/third sentence in the unit description. Can you just add a label next to each name saying something like Korne HQ: or something like that.
This is definitely a helpful little critique, I will incorporate that into the tactica when I get enough time. Pretty slammed with multiple WH projects and Midterms right now though, but thanks for the tip.
tTarragonable wrote:May I make a suggestion however? Perhaps you could do some cross-game-system comparisons.
Definitely a solid idea, however while I do play Fantasy, I don't use my Chaos Daemons in that game. Hell, I don't even have the Army Book.. I told myself I wouldn't play Daemons in Fantasy until they got a severe nurf, they're just way too powerful right now and its kinda unfair.

Also, considering this is the 40k section, that advice would probly fall on deaf ears. If I end up getting the Fantasy Army Book, I will certainly write up a cross-sectioned review/tactica and see if I can get it posted somewhere in the Fantasy section of the forum -- But that will prolly be a long way off since I barely play Fantasy at all and I am pretty new to the rules.

Still, I appreciate the input,

Thanks everyone!
>>Mars out.
What I'm Working On:

Chaos Daemons - WIP
Tau - WIP

War, war never changes.

Tarkand
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Tarkand » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:56 am

Out of curiosity, what would you cut down in your list in order to play it at 1,500?

Ursa06
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ursa06 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:03 am

Wow, this list on units seems to be very effective ... i hope you don't mind me taking it as a list for my first Chaos Daemons army :roll:

P.S. Oh yeah, btw, we would like to hear the answer for Tarkand's question .... please :)
Last edited by Ursa06 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Upgrading my Daemons of Chaos 1850 list.

Nothing will ever be the same ...

My gaming blog. (it's a little bit "dead" right now, but i should get it back to work soon ... i hope so)

Krisken
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Krisken » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:44 am

Been a while since I looked at this tactica and have some suggestions -

For your Bloodcrushers in the list you were building- always go full command. For 50 points being able to allocate wounds as you see fit is a powerful tool. You do not have to apply wound allocation to already wounded models if there are models in the unit with different gear.

Nurglings- the anti-dreadnought. Charge a special character like Bjorn the Fell Handed and you'll tie him up for the whole game with a 7 strong unit.

Icons- I would advise players to not use them. The first few games will be difficult, but eventually you get a feel for where you can put models and not put them at risk for mishap. The only Icons I ever use are on Bloodcrushers, for the reason above.

Seekers- When the Elite choices are so cramped as it is, they work great in place of Fiends. Greatest strength is that they have Assault and Defensive grenades. This is great for removing those pesky units sitting on objectives. Being that they are Cavalry, they move 6", run d6", and charge 12". That's a 19"-24" move!! With having the assault grenades, you guarantee you'll be striking first with Initiative 6.
Winner of contest announced and pictures of UFO 'Lord of Change' 3-31-2013 Scratchbuilt 40k.

worldmuncher
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by worldmuncher » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:30 pm

where in the codex does it say the masque cant join anything? cant it join in on some daemonettes?
nids-wip
lizmen-wip

Zeruel13
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Zeruel13 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:36 pm

worldmuncher wrote:where in the codex does it say the masque cant join anything? cant it join in on some daemonettes?
She doesn't have the Independent Character special rule.

Aloh'Kais

Post by Aloh'Kais » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:47 pm

One thing to add, which I should know after being swiftly dispatched every time I play against daemons, is that Fateweaver, if you put him behind a Tzeentch Daemon Prince (I believe the mark of Tzeentch improves invuln, last I checked.) The opponent now has something big, nasty in close combat and re-rolling 3+ (or was it +4) invuln saves. Add another one, and you have both a very expensive combination of units, as well as something that might dwell on you opponent's mind. But then, the Daemon player I play against is notoriously lucky, so that might feature into the succes of this combination.
2500 points of Tau (of which roughly 1750 actually are useful)
750 points of Kroot Mercenaries (Kompletely Kroot)
1150 points of IG and Inquisition

The Ethereal is not amused

Don't pay attention to anything I say about Fire Warriors.

worldmuncher
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by worldmuncher » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:50 pm

Zeruel13 wrote:
worldmuncher wrote:where in the codex does it say the masque cant join anything? cant it join in on some daemonettes?
She doesn't have the Independent Character special rule.

ooooooooooooooooooooooo
nids-wip
lizmen-wip