Lord of Skulls/ Imperial Knight Renegades usable for CSM?

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
fluffyfen
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Lord of Skulls/ Imperial Knight Renegades usable for CSM?

Post by fluffyfen » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:19 am

As the title says im curious as if either are usable for chaos space marines? i havent played since 5th so I dont know how the ally rules work nowadays.

And more specifically about the Lord of Skulls are they viable in standard play?
Bromanced to my Brosband - BewareOfTom

Pen gun, mightier than the sword. Sword gun, mightier than the pen gun.

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Lord of Skulls/ Imperial Knight Renegades usable for CSM?

Post by Koonitz » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:12 am

There are two things you'll need to remember in terms of what models you can bring in your army if you wish to remain battleforged* (three, if you play using the beta rules from the latest major FAQ):

1) All models across all detachments in the army must all share one faction keyword across them.

2) To retain special rules like legion traits, all models within that specific detachment must share the same Legion faction keyword. For example, if you are building a World Eaters detachment, all models within that detachment must have the <World Eaters> legion faction keyword. If you do not wish to retain your legion traits, you do not need to follow this rule within that detachment.

3) If you are following the beta rules from the latest FAQ (most metas do, but you may wish to check with your local group), all models within a specific detachment must also share at least one faction keyword, and that faction keyword cannot be <Chaos> (among others). This means that each detachment must, itself, share a faction keyword other than Chaos within the detachment. If you intend to follow point 2, above, then this is usually not an issue, but it is worth bearing in mind. This can prevent you from bringing a Renegade Knight within a specific detachment including other models.

* Note that being battleforged is a requirement that pretty much everyone, across all metas, requires unless specifically arranged beforehand, so assume you do want to be battleforged. To be battleforged, all models in your army must belong to a detachment. This is a similar concept to 5th where you have your force organization chart, and must build your army within it to have a legal list.

Bringing a Lord of Skulls is simply a matter of including it within a detachment of World Eaters that has a Lord of War slot (if I recall correctly, it does have the World Eaters faction keyword, but I may be wrong in this), or including it in a separate Super heavy or Super heavy auxiliary detachment.

Bringing a Renegade Knight would be just as simple, except you don't have the <World Eaters> faction keyword, and would have to include it in a separate super heavy or super heavy auxiliary detachment
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Salamand3rs4Lyfe
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Salamand3rs4Lyfe » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:35 pm

I would think the Lord of Skulls has the Khorne keyword, i don't think it has the world eaters keyword. But I'm sure you could build your army around the god keywords. As for renegade knights, if you can dedicate them to a specific god then im sure you can use them in a list with that keyword that has a LoW slot. Of course i could be so wrong that it isn't funny so my word isn't law
Armies i collect:
11,115pts csm The Privileged
7,268pts Salamanders
1,200pts gsc Sons of Jormangandr

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:41 pm

Salamand3rs4Lyfe wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:35 pm
I would think the Lord of Skulls has the Khorne keyword, i don't think it has the world eaters keyword. But I'm sure you could build your army around the god keywords. As for renegade knights, if you can dedicate them to a specific god then im sure you can use them in a list with that keyword that has a LoW slot. Of course i could be so wrong that it isn't funny so my word isn't law
Neither is really necessary. If the Lord of Skulls doesn't have <World Eaters> then you can just include it in a separate detachment. Including it in the same detachment as a World Eaters force (if it doesn't have the keyword) would mean you'd lose the World Eaters legion trait.

Your army is still able to use the <Chaos> faction keyword (even with the FAQ) just fine, so there's nothing stopping you from just adding either in that fashion.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Jeffers
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Jeffers » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:29 am

I thought the same, then again i looked across to my forgeworld Typhon and smiled as it has legion in the keywords and can be used with chaos with no problems

When in doubt look to the 30k tanks for a lord of war slot like i did.

Might consider a fellblade or falchion for some big boy killers