Chaos Daemon Detachment Question

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
Orangegroves
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Chaos Daemon Detachment Question

Post by Orangegroves » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:06 pm

I just finished watching a MWG Batt Rep of AoS and it got me thinking:

In it Quirk mentions that he is using the Warp Flame Host (something) which gives him special abilities. I wanted to make sure that I am not missing special detachments in the Chaos Daemons Codex which might do this, give additional CP, or different options of detachments (I high are specific to Daemons), etc. Currently I am using the standard detatacents from the 40k rule book, which would give me the standard CP, which I could then spend on command abilities in the Chaos Daemons Codex. Is this one of the ways how 40k decided to differentiate itself? (I know the new FAQ came out which updates some of the CP allocated).

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Chaos Daemon Detachment Question

Post by Koonitz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:20 pm

Orangegroves wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:06 pm
I just finished watching a MWG Batt Rep of AoS and it got me thinking:

In it Quirk mentions that he is using the Warp Flame Host (something) which gives him special abilities. I wanted to make sure that I am not missing special detachments in the Chaos Daemons Codex which might do this, give additional CP, or different options of detachments (I high are specific to Daemons), etc. Currently I am using the standard detatacents from the 40k rule book, which would give me the standard CP, which I could then spend on command abilities in the Chaos Daemons Codex. Is this one of the ways how 40k decided to differentiate itself? (I know the new FAQ came out which updates some of the CP allocated).
The detachments used by Quirk are an Age of Sigmar option, only. They are not available for WarHammer 40k.

Note that the 7th Edition of 40k did have a similar concept of alternative formations and detachments. None of them are viable in the current edition of 40k.

The only detachments available to a battleforged army in 40k are those listed in the core rulebook.

As a bit of history, formations and detachments were a MUCH maligned feature of the 7th Edition of 40k, and a great many people were quite happy to see them go. However, Age of Sigmar was designed and released before the ending of 7th Edition, which is why they kept a similar concept.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Orangegroves
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: Chaos Daemon Detachment Question

Post by Orangegroves » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:39 pm

Thanks for that bit of history. That helps put things in perspective. I know the Codex talks about different groupings from a lore perspective - Khulzar’s Doom Court (Korhne), Bringers of Blackfire (Tzeentch), etc. - and just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything.