I'm coming back to 40k

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
TheSinisterUrge
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

I'm coming back to 40k

Post by TheSinisterUrge » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:31 pm

Several years ago, Games Workshop rustled my jimmies one too many times so, I quit the game, traded in all my models and jumped ship to Privateer Press and started playing Warmachine and Hordes. After a few years of playing that, I fell out of love and stopped playing mini wargames all together and stuck to Blood Bowl.

Fast forward to this past Wednesday when I popped by what used to be my regular gaming store to catch up with friends I hadn't seen in a while, 40k comes up in conversation. Some of my friends had already bought models and played a few 8th edition games, others were interested in starting back up and the lot of them began working me over, cajoling me to come back too. After a cursory explanation of the new rules, I borrowed the rule book to read it over.

I have to say that I am very pleased with this new edition of the game as a whole, and I decided to start collecting and playing again. The reason I am posting this thread here is because my first love was Chaos, and that's who I will start with. My purple and gold, Crown Royal, Emperor's Children.

I have already bought 2 Terminator units, a Terminator Lord kit, a unit of CSMs, a Rhino transport and a Hellbrute. I plan to buy another unit of CSMs, another Rhino and several Daemonette kits for summoning. I plan to wait for the Emperor's Children codex before buying anything else.

I'm also going to try to paint my models on the sprue before assembling them, because trying to paint them afterwards absolutely killed my desire to paint at all. Wish me luck with that, I've never been known for my patience before!
HAPPINESS IS A MUSHROOM CLOUD, GIVE WAR A CHANCE!

Cygnar 264 points
Mercenaries 11 points
Legion of Everblight 135 points

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: I'm coming back to 40k

Post by Koonitz » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:50 pm

Welcome back to the hobby.
TheSinisterUrge wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:31 pm
I plan to wait for the Emperor's Children codex before buying anything else.
I wouldn't hold your breath. There isn't even a rumour that I'm aware of for such a codex to be released. You will have to continue to use the Chaos Marines codex for the time being.

While the army as a whole isn't viable in 8th, might I recommend looking into the Forge World line of Horus Heresy/30k Emperor's Children models. The Legion army is for Horus Heresy, which uses a slightly modified 7th Edition rule-set, but most of the models can be used (possibly with some minor modifications or wargear choice changes) in a 40k Emperor's Children army, with rules for most found in Forge World's Imperial Armour - Index: Forces of Chaos.

Personally, I'm collecting a 30k Thousand Sons force which I will occasionally use as a 40k Thousand Sons army.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

TheSinisterUrge

Post by TheSinisterUrge » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:13 pm

Huh, I was told it would be coming soon. Oh well, I'm very happy with the CSM codex and underwhelmed with sonic weapons in any event.
HAPPINESS IS A MUSHROOM CLOUD, GIVE WAR A CHANCE!

Cygnar 264 points
Mercenaries 11 points
Legion of Everblight 135 points

Jeffers
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Jeffers » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:55 pm

Hopefully Fulgrim will come out to play

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:26 am

Sonic weapons suffer this edition as cover isn't as big a deal anymore, neither is instant death, AP3 templates. That said though, there are a lot of models to choose from when playing emperors children, personally I have fantasised about converting a full nipple armour emperors children army, but alas, funds won't permit it.

I find that for me, a coherent theme to an army is paramount in keeping me motivated, make sure your army pleases you visually as well as gameplay wise.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Mecha82
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Mecha82 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:00 pm

Jeffers wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:55 pm
Hopefully Fulgrim will come out to play
While I hope to see him in some point I hope that it's after loyalist have gotten least one more Primarch. It's already 1 vs 2 with Roboute Gulliman pretty much standing alone against Magnus and Mortarion.
Warhammer 40k:
Blood Angels
Dark Angels

Somethings never change.

It was already broken when I got here.