Alternative use for Armiger Warglaive mini-Knight

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Alternative use for Armiger Warglaive mini-Knight

Post by Koonitz » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:48 pm

Well, Chaos players, as many (most/all?) of you are aware, the Imperium is getting a new mini-Knight and there are, at this point, no sign of rules for the Chaos players, whether by giving Chaos the Dark Mechanicum force, or by allowing the Chaos Knight armies to take the Warglaives as is.

I've been reading a few comments (and watching a video or two) about Chaos players being pretty up-in-arms about not getting rules for them. I mean, it's pretty easy to do whatever you want in Open/Narrative play, but a lot of them want to be able to use the models in Matched Play/tournament scenarios that would otherwise restrict people from being something like an Imperium model in a Chaos army.

Well, don't resign your conversion bug just yet. I have a suggestion for you folk to help you with your inspiration and let you buy and convert these models to your heart's content. This guy:

Chaos Decimator Daemon Engine.
[+] Expand
Roughly the same size, roughly the same battlefield role. Sure, the rules may be slightly different (I haven't sat down to compare the two yet, as I just kinda thought of it now, while at work), but I think it would work quite nicely, until Chaos might get their hands on rules for the actual Armiger Warglaive.

And, with a bit of creativity, the Decimator has a few more weapon options to allow you to have fun with your conversion.

Thoughts?
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Alternative use for Armiger Warglaive mini-Knight

Post by Koonitz » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:48 pm

So, I took a look at the stats, and it's not perfect, but it's still a passable alternative. Points-wise, the Decimator will regularly come in at 50-75 points cheaper than the Armiger.

(All stats listed Decimator/Armiger).

1) Wounds 8/12 (Note, this means the Decimator does NOT have a damage chart, so it is at full strength all the time)
2) Decimator heals a wound a turn.
3) WS/BS 3+ (Armiger is reduced with damage)
4) Move 10"/14" (Armiger is reduced with damage)
5) Strength 7/6 (The Decimator may give up both melee weapons, therefore this can matter)
6) Melee weapon S+2/Sx2, otherwise identical AP/Damage (This puts the Armiger at S12 compared to S9)
7) No ranged weapon comparison to the melta lance, however there is a variety of alternative options that may give the Decimator superior versatility.
8) No secondary weapon melta/heavy stubber, however if a siege claw is kept, it has a hellflamer (2 damage heavy flamer)
9) Invulnerable save identical, but kept/not kept in melee.

I'd say the stat trade-off is fair enough that the Armiger model can easily represent a Decimator siege engine if desired, with some simple magnetizing allowing you to utilize the various weapon options and still be able to switch back to an Armiger when desired, or if/when rules for Chaos Knight Armigers are released.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch