Variant Chaos Spawn ideas

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Variant Chaos Spawn ideas

Post by Koonitz » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:11 pm

As I delve more deeply down the path of a Thousand Sons player, I (as I suspect a lot of Chaos players do) begin to ponder the idea of Chaos Spawn. Not least of which is because it's intrinsically linked to the Legion (the Flesh Change curse), but also because the Thousand Sons codex (and Tzeentch Daemon Codex) has multiple ways to bring Spawn onto the board, including at least two methods which do not require reinforcement points.

Personally, I do not like the official spawn models, no matter how appropriate they may seem for the role. However, I've had a VERY hard time finding variant models that fit the role. So I thought I'd start a discussion thread for people to either offer suggestions for variant models, show off their own conversions, or ask their own questions on what to do.

As the leader of my Thousand Sons, Praetor Herihor of the VIth Archaeological Expeditionary Force is, as you would expect, an Archaeologist. I've seriously pondered the idea of using Age of Sigmar spirit host models. This was spurred on by a story in the Thousand Sons codex of a sorcerer trapping a competing sorcerer in a mine and raising the souls of the damned miners to destroy his opponent. Being able to tap into the history he so fervently studies is incredibly thematic. The only problem I have with this is that it doesn't play to the legion's history of the Flesh Change curse (a minor problem, at worst).

This idea was also already done by a forum-goer, here, by the name Realgone. You can see his great work in his WIP thread, here. I would likely do something very similar, though most likely using other 'victims' (ie: humans, other legionaries, like the space puppies, et cetera).

Another idea proposed to me was a simple, cheap conversion idea of a floating eyeball, using a ping pong ball and a bit of green stuffed gore or the like. A nice play on the traditional warlocky power of summoning floating eyeballs (at least, from my Warcraft history), but it just doesn't seem to click for me. Neat idea, for anyone interested, though.

What are other people's thoughts? What's a good Chaos Spawn model? What other creative ideas would you use to create unique Chaos spawn?
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Jeffers
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Variant Chaos Spawn ideas

Post by Jeffers » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:28 am

How about D&D beholder models. Magically based and lots of eyes.

https://www.darksphere.co.uk/p.php?p=79931

This is the shop i use in the uk. I believe they have an official site