New Daemons info and pictures

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
Whitewing
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

New Daemons info and pictures

Post by Whitewing » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:28 am

WarhammerTV released a fun little carol devoted to our beloved Papa Nurgle, and included a BUNCH of sneak peeks of the upcoming new models, and as a die-hard Daemons fan I could not have asked for a better christmas present! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPmbsRqlyng

We begin with a mysterious "Blight Tree"... New unit, or just a funky terrain piece? Who knows, but I'm gonna get at least 1, it looks pretty cool either way!

New "Plaguebearers" that I sincerely doubt are actually Plaguebearers, these are new Heralds if I've ever seen them! Very cool models, possibly a special character or two? The other two models in this shot appear to be the same old Plaguebearer kit we've had for a while.

BEASTS. PRAISE BE PAPA NURGLE WE FINALLY GET GOOD BEAST MODELS! 25 years we've been waiting since the last Beasts of Nurgle models came out, and they look AMAZING (as I'm sure die hard MWG fans already know, having seen the sneak peek we got earlier in the year thanks to Dave :D)

And last but certainly not least, at the very end of the video, an uncredited image of:
A new Great Unclean One! The Big Lad himself is back and looking badass! If reports surfacing recently are to be believed, this model is on the same scale as the Forgeworld Great Unclean One, which you may know means it is ENORMOUS! I can't wait to get my hands on these new minis (and more... please? GW? Slaanesh? Remember Slaanesh?) and new rules in 2018. Things are looking up for the Daemons lads!
Last edited by Whitewing on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my Chaos Daemons Tactica! I'm super proud of it :D

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: New Nurgle Daemons from the WarhammerTV Christmas Carol

Post by Koonitz » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:17 pm

Have a better view of that Greater Daemon, including 2 other builds for it.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Whitewing

Post by Whitewing » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:43 pm

Koonitz wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:17 pm
Have a better view of that Greater Daemon, including 2 other builds for it.
Thanks Koonitz! Nice to be chatting with you again :D

I like the multiple options we have, though it's a shame the pose is so static, with a model this big and so rotund there's no realistic way GW could have made the kit more poseable.

I don't know about you guys but I'm loving everything I'm hearing on that page, from the model finally being the right size, to the inference that the rules have also been updated to return the GUO to their former status as the toughest Greater Daemons. Personally I'm surprised GW decided to make a new character in the form of this Rotigus, as opposed to making a model for Ku'gath, but the model looks amazing (love the face growing out of the arm!) and I can't wait to learn more about this character and how it plays.

Whitewing

Post by Whitewing » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:27 am

The Third day of Nurgle: Heralds
https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-3/

Interesting tidbits here, it would appear that GW is diversifying Heralds a tad in the upcoming codex, for Nurgle at the very least, providing not only different models but different abilities and backgrounds. These characters seem very much like some of the half-baked special characters of yesteryear, but they're not unique, allowing you to presumably field multiples of them.

Personally I'm enjoying the fleshing out of the lore of how the forces of Nurgle operate, and I'm loving these models which will definitely find homes in my eternally growing Daemon army.

Whitewing

Re: New Daemons info and pictures

Post by Whitewing » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:16 am

Faction Focus time! Let's go over the fine details and see what we can pick out.

First and foremost, based on this article and the ones that have preceded it, it would seem pretty likely that we will not be getting new models beyond the Nurgle reveals we have already seen (Blight Tree, Beasts of Nurgle, New Heralds, Great Unclean One) though I still hold out hope for new character/s and a new Daemon Prince model. Not that the old one is bad, I'd just love a new one. Sorry to all the fans of Flesh Hounds and Fiends of Slaanesh (myself included /cries) it would appear we're stuck with these 1994 models for the time being, though the one ray of hope here is that in none of the documented pictures for the new release (so far) have we seen a Hound or a Fiend anywhere. So hold onto that 1% hope.

Next up we have insight into how Chaos Daemons is going to be balanced for Mono-God and Multi-God armies: Loci. Chaos Daemons gain special Warlord traits, Psychic Powers, Stratagems and "Scoring Power" if you take a fully Chaos Daemons detachment, but if you ALSO take everything from a specific Dark God you unlock the new Loci powers on all your Characters (according to the article at least, this may be an oversight on wording) which they state will effect all of your units including your Greater Daemons (here's why I'm confused on the wording: if the Loci effect everything "including your Greater Daemons" but are radiating from every Character in the army... then surely they are radiating from the Greater Daemons as well? Confuzzled). The Loci effects are as follows:
  1. Khorne: Locus of Rage; you may re-roll charge rolls
  2. Tzeentch: Locus of Trickery; roll 2 dice at start of each Fight phase discarding the highest, the result is now an automatic Miss
  3. Nurgle: Locus of Virulence; every To Wound roll of 6+ inflict 1 additional damage
  4. Slaanesh: Locus of Swiftness; you may Charge after advancing
In terms of power, fluff and fun I like all 4 of these new abilities, and I like that they are tied to a Mono-God list, as it really reinforces the idea that this new army is more "That God" than a mixed one. Khorne is more brutal, Tzeentch is tricksier, Nurgle is more potent, Slaanesh is faster.

Next I want to touch on this line from the Nurgle Locus section:
Nurgle armies are particularly well-served by the new codex thanks to a host of new units, from new Heralds to the debut of Horticulous Slimux in the 41st Millennium – check some of them out in our 7 Days of Nurgle previews.
This is excellent news for me, as I was already building a Slimux simply to add to my collection, if not my army, and now he can join the ever growing ranks of my 1-man Armageddon army! It really is a terrific model (in my opinion at least) and I can't wait to get a look at his rules.

Lastly I want to touch on hopes for future reveals: Like most folk I'd love to see Slaanesh get some love, but beyond that I'd be extremely happy if Daemons got some of their funky deployment rules back. I know we can't go back to the days of the entire army starting in Deep Strike Reserve (/weeps) but surely we can recapture some of that fun in future rules, because if any army deserves some wacky not-necessarily-powerful rules in 40k, it's Chaos Daemons.

Jeffers
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Jeffers » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:58 am

I would expect this to be a strong codex since the events from cadia and being the big bad. Theyve got to push these hard and be able to compete.

If this is a whiff, then storywise it wouldnt make sense

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:17 am

Jeffers wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:58 am
I would expect this to be a strong codex since the events from cadia and being the big bad. Theyve got to push these hard and be able to compete.

If this is a whiff, then storywise it wouldnt make sense
Not to sound too cynical, but don't hold your breath. Chaos Space Marines got nerfed into oblivion in 4th and essentially ignored in 7th, despite being touted as the biggest threat to the Imperium. Games Workshop should make a good codex here because that's the way the codexes are being made in a general sense.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Whitewing

Post by Whitewing » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:53 am

I wouldn't expect Daemons to be an extremely strong army personally, historically they fall more into the fun and weird category.

Which isn't to say they weren't competitive, because they absolutely were, they just weren't as overtly powerful as some other armies coming out at the time. At the moment my impressions on the new edition are quite favourable, I haven't seen any unfairly strong armies coming out, not to my eyes anyway, and I don't think Daemons will buck that trend.

Whitewing

Post by Whitewing » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:38 pm

Let's talk Khorne! https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-4/

Not a ton of info here, which is to be expected frankly, but we do get a couple of Wargear pieces and a Warlord Trait reveal.

Armour of Scorn seems pretty good to me, gives your warlord a bit more defensive power, and lets you try and get out from under enemy psychic shenanigans, probably a must-take piece in mono-khorne lists.

Skullreaver. Good GOD that thing does some serious damage! High Strength, great AP, high Damage, with reroll to wound against the toughest targets and the ability to cause multiple ADDITIONAL mortal wounds when rolling a 6 to Wound, this thing is utterly insane, and even crazier when you realise that it's going to be wielded by Bloodthirsters.

Lastly the one Warlord Trait we've seen for Khorne (they mentioned previously that the codex will have 24 Traits, so a full 6 for each god) Oblivious to Pain, feels very nostalgic for me, as we've been seeing this "Gain 6+ FNP" trait for a long time now, except now it's more Khornate than ever, not only saving the damage, but buffing the heck out of your Warlord for the next turn or two, making a character that is already a monster in combat (no matter which Khorne char your warlord may happen to be) into an even more unstoppable beast.