Starting chaos HELP

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
Deathwatch205
Silver Vault Member

Starting chaos HELP

Post by Deathwatch205 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:10 am

Hi there guys.

I bought the Chaos codex yesterday and have been thinking about what army I should start with. I really like both the night lords and the alpha legion but I need help with what units are good for these armies.

I just finished a blood Angels force so I'm trying to stay away from a mass assault/charge army, although having a 20 man beserker unit looks good as well
2,000 points Deathwatch
1,850 points Blood Angels
1,000 points Astra militarum/Elysian drop troops

Jeffers
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Starting chaos HELP

Post by Jeffers » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:06 am

For night lords, you want to be looking at deep striking and fast units to get in their with the -1ld debuffs. Problem is, its easy to counter that ability now such as strategems or faction traits.

Alpha legion -1 to hit is a great thing to have in your pocket.

Both are very different such as night lords look down at other legions and detest the thought of using daemons. Whereas alpha make heavy use of cultists

How do you want to build you army? Fluffy, competitive?

Otasolgryn
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Otasolgryn » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:30 pm

Well chaos dont have to be all out charge across the table, but the are fairly melee orientated.

Apart from that i agree with above, that we need some idea of where you want the army to be.

Because there is a very large gap between the fluffy, lore build alpha legion army, and one you bring to win a turnament.
One thing they do have in common though, is lots of cultists :)

Deathwatch205
Silver Vault Member

Post by Deathwatch205 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:10 pm

Yeah thanks for that.

I'd like to be competitive but still have friends if you know what I mean. I'm going to primarily focus on Alpha legion.

Do you guys think Warp Talons are worth it because the no overwatch rule sounds like it could be good especially supported by the psychic power to move again making the charge easier.

I don't know if this is a good plan but would it be good to fill out troops slots with cultists, say 3-4 20 man squads with a couple dark apostles and then quite a few havocs which can camp in cover with the -1. The cultists would act as bubble wrap from assault armies while the havocs go to town.

Last Question.

Can alpha legion take different Marks of Chaos?
2,000 points Deathwatch
1,850 points Blood Angels
1,000 points Astra militarum/Elysian drop troops

Salamand3rs4Lyfe
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Salamand3rs4Lyfe » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:11 pm

Cultist screen sounds somewhat effective but you'll probably have to be wary of deep striking. I know AL couldn't take marks of chaos in 7th but as far as 8th goes im not sure
Armies i collect:
11,115pts csm The Privileged
7,268pts Salamanders
1,200pts gsc Sons of Jormangandr

Jeffers
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Jeffers » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:54 am

I have used warp talons quite a bit. There rule is cool but they are utter trash.

Expensive and only 2 attacks. In a group of 5 they dont last long