Contemptor or helbrute

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
enterprise85
Bronze Vault Member

Contemptor or helbrute

Post by enterprise85 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:27 am

I have not used dreadnought in 8th edition yet and have trouble on deciding which one I would like to use in an army how have people found the helbrute and contemptor in 8th edition?

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Contemptor or helbrute

Post by Marit Lage » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:23 am

I haven't tried Contemptors yet, but I've been using Helbrutes with fists and plasma cannons to discourage deep striking near my Predator tanks, and it seems to get the job done well enough. The crazed rule is pretty funny too, especially when the Dread hurts himself to trigger it.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2017:
Exalted Champion
85 Chaos Cultists
3 Chaos Bikers

enterprise85
Bronze Vault Member

Post by enterprise85 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:28 am

Lol

Jeffers
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Jeffers » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:37 pm

Ive used both. My contemptor managed go toe to toe with the avatar of khaine. They are very effective due to the invul save and the chance to gain wounds when it kills.

The hellbrute on the otherhand doesnt has as much staying power but craze is very handy as people have to debate whether to nuke it down so it couldnt do craze.

I prefer the contemptor out of the two with the butcher cannon or twin heavy bolters

Marit Lage
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:07 pm

Jeffers wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:37 pm
Ive used both. My contemptor managed go toe to toe with the avatar of khaine. They are very effective due to the invul save and the chance to gain wounds when it kills.

The hellbrute on the otherhand doesnt has as much staying power but craze is very handy as people have to debate whether to nuke it down so it couldnt do craze.

I prefer the contemptor out of the two with the butcher cannon or twin heavy bolters
It's also worth pointing out that Contemptors start at about 200 points, while Helbrutes are going to be around 140.

Personally, I want our Ferrum Infernus Dreadnoughts back.
Models painted in 2017:
Exalted Champion
85 Chaos Cultists
3 Chaos Bikers

Jeffers
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Jeffers » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:00 am

60 points difference is immaterial to the question. Im sure they found room for one or the other.

I still back the contemptor considering the hellbrute look is ugly and doesnt fit into my pure NL army. No daemon filth or corruption over here. 😄

Marit Lage

Post by Marit Lage » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:04 am

Jeffers wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:00 am
60 points difference is immaterial to the question. Im sure they found room for one or the other.

I still back the contemptor considering the hellbrute look is ugly and doesnt fit into my pure NL army. No daemon filth or corruption over here. 😄
There's always Dreadsocks!
Models painted in 2017:
Exalted Champion
85 Chaos Cultists
3 Chaos Bikers

enterprise85
Bronze Vault Member

Post by enterprise85 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:07 pm

It would be nice to have ferrum dreadnought back, I don't like the helbrute model I would use a space marine dreadnought for the model with some chaos bits added

Marit Lage

Post by Marit Lage » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:23 pm

enterprise85 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:07 pm
It would be nice to have ferrum dreadnought back, I don't like the helbrute model I would use a space marine dreadnought for the model with some chaos bits added
I just buy the old metal ones second hand, strip em, and repaint.
Models painted in 2017:
Exalted Champion
85 Chaos Cultists
3 Chaos Bikers

psychoticbuzzsaw
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by psychoticbuzzsaw » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:02 am

Use both. I have my Contemptor loaded out with a butcher cannon, Chainfist with the soulburner and he wrecks face

Return to “Forces of Chaos”