Night lords contemptor

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
Jeffers
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Night lords contemptor

Post by Jeffers » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi guys,

Im looking at getting a night lords contemptor. I know i will go with a power fist but im struggling between the 3:-

Twin heavy bolter
The assault cannon
Autocannon

I mainly play against eldar, IG and soon to be orks. I have alot of ways dealing with vehicles hence the 3 above being picked. Im looking for anti infantry. What would you say deals out the best results

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Night lords contemptor

Post by Koonitz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:25 am

For 8th, I'd say your choice is going to be between the heavy bolter and assault cannon. Since you say you don't need anti-vehicle firepower, the reduced shots, increased damage of the autocannon is unnecessary (besides, it's matched even for the Kheres Assault Cannon except for range number of shots and damage per shot).

The following descriptions are based on comparing the heavy bolters to the Kheres assault cannon. Both weapons give 6 shots and have AP:-1, so these stats will not be compared.

Twin Heavy Bolters: Reduced strength, increased range. In 8th, having +2 strength (Kheres) isn't as significant as it was, but it is still valuable. So the reduced strength is a big hit. Take this only if you foresee needing the extra 12" range to reach your desired target.

Kheres Assault Cannon: Increased strength will help considerably against most targets, ensuring you snag that precious 2+ wounding on T3 infantry, while still being versatile against light vehicles, when needed. The loss of range will hurt when you need to stay away from your opponent (ie: Orks), but with the claw, as well, this won't be as big a deal.

Twin Autocannons: This weapon is a balanced light vehicle killer. The reduced shots will affect you against massed infantry, but the 2 damage can help you against tougher infantry (ie: Terminators/bikes with 2+ wounds). This one would be a viable, and worth-while, pick, if you needed some extra anti-infantry fire-power while retaining some versatility, or really wanted range that outclasses both other choices, such as when you want to stand back and use the Contemptor as a rear field deep strike counter-charger.

My personal choice for your basic targets and lack of need for anti-vehicle is the Kheres, unless you really need the extra reach.

This, of course, assumes you aren't willing to take the (very easy) steps to magnetize that sucker and eventually get every weapon option.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Jeffers
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Jeffers » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:37 pm

Cheers koonitz.

Thats the main dilemma. I want him to be a more mid range where he can offer quick response to deep strike units or claim tactical vantage points, based on what u said maybe i try either the assault cannon first then heavy bolter.

Im planning magnetising, so i will need to have a good look at the arm slots whilst at forge world

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:16 am

Jeffers wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:37 pm
Cheers koonitz.

Thats the main dilemma. I want him to be a more mid range where he can offer quick response to deep strike units or claim tactical vantage points, based on what u said maybe i try either the assault cannon first then heavy bolter.

Im planning magnetising, so i will need to have a good look at the arm slots whilst at forge world
If he's going to be backfield, sheltering other units from deep strikes, maybe start with a twin heavy bolter and/or twin autocannon. Looking at the arms, it looks very simple to magnetize them.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2017:
Exalted Champion
85 Chaos Cultists
3 Chaos Bikers

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:51 am

They're very easy to magnetize, almost tailor made to be magnetized. Though there's a bit of a cheat here with third party shoulders with the painted one.

Only trick I'd say is if you get a Calth plastic one, you'll probably want to use green stuff to seat the magnet in and fill the hole, as you can see in the picture.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Return to “Forces of Chaos”