Thousand Sons Rubricae Smite wording confirmation

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Thousand Sons Rubricae Smite wording confirmation

Post by Koonitz » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:39 am

So, I was just re-reading through the Scarab Occult Terminator datasheet as I prepare for month 3 of my SloGro, where I bring a unit of them in. I noticed a particular wording of interest in their Psyker rule entry that I feel is worth bringing up and discussing.

We all know Smite, per the core rulebook, grants d6 damage instead of d3 on psychic test rolls of GREATER than 10.

However, in the entry for Rubric Marines, Scarab Occult Terminators and Magnus, where it clarifies their variant damage, it states the following (quoted from Rubric Marine entry, but the bolded text is similar for all three):
When an Aspiring Sorcerer manifests the Smite psychic power, he inflicts 1 mortal wound instead of d3, or d3 mortal wounds instead of d6 if the Psychic test is 10 or more.
Note that this wording is not used in Ahriman's, or the Exalted Sorcerer's datasheets.

The bolded text clearly indicates something DIFFERENT than what is stated in the rulebook for the Smite psychic power. There is no clarification or alteration in the FAQ at the time of the writing of this post. My concern, and the reason for the discussion is this: "Is this a mistake, or deliberately meant to give these units a slight edge when manifesting their weak (or much more powerful, but to heck with it, it's Magnus) Smite?"

Rules as written, clearly this means that the power is enhanced on a 10-12, unlike normal smite's 11-12. But the spirit of the rules tells me it should be identical to normal Smite, and be on an 11-12, and this is an oversight.

Thoughts? Would I be a bad Thousand Sons player if I take advantage of this, or is this such an insignificant bonus, especially on Aspiring sorcerers, that I shouldn't bother overthinking it because I'm probably gonna roll a 1 on the d3 anyway?

Edit: Anyone have a Chaos codex handy to look into the Rubric squad found in there? Is it any different?
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

ObscureMeerkat
Bronze Vault Member

Re: Thousand Sons Rubricae Smite wording confirmation

Post by ObscureMeerkat » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:30 am

IMO, take advantage of the rules as written until they either FAQ it or fix it in the codex. Through the few games I've played with my TS's, the smite of an Aspiring Sorcerer isn't anything to be thrilled about anyway so if you can find a small way to buff it then so be it.

ObscureMeerkat
Bronze Vault Member

Post by ObscureMeerkat » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:01 am

UPDATE: Found what it says in the Codex. Looks like they re-worded it.

https://imgur.com/a/jrg0m

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:08 pm

There are two ways to see it really. Since, they changed the wording in the codex, you can simply go for the most recent version of the Rubric Marines. It is the less controversial option. The second option is to say that since a Thousand Sons Codex has been announced, but hasn't been released yet, you can technically still use the Index and since no Errata for the Index has changed the wording, you could play them as written in the Index. However, it feels a bit like using a lawyer trick of using loopholes for getting an advantage.

So, my advice is to ask people if they are okay with you using the Index wording and if they aren't, don't press the issue. Some people like the challenge, others don't.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:04 pm

ObscureMeerkat wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:30 am
Through the few games I've played with my TS's, the smite of an Aspiring Sorcerer isn't anything to be thrilled about anyway so if you can find a small way to buff it then so be it.
To be honest, though, when I found out that Smite was on an 11+, not 10+, I was actually incredibly disappointed. In 10 games, so far (admittedly, at the 500-1000 point level, so not super lots of psykers), I've gotten an overcharge smite THREE times, of which only one of those was on an 11 (the other two were on perils that I just let go through because to the warp with it, and it loses that awesome feeling when your psyker takes d3 mortal wounds, too). It just feels so underwhelming when it has this cool effect that only safely goes off on one single result (11). It's like having a character has these super-duper-awesome-mega-powers that only happen once every 3-4 games. You ignore that power (and possibly even the entire character), because it's, quite simply, unreliable. Not even narratively do you attempt to fit it in. You have this cool effect with the power that you, effectively, ignore. I understand that smiters gonna smite anyway, and it'll happen eventually, but it still feels disappointing, all the same.

So being able to take advantage of the wording would make it a little more exciting and more in line with what I thought it should be.

Who knows, maybe since a lot of the Legion traits and Chapter Tactics are mirrored, we'll see Thousand Sons get the same trait as Grey Knights (+1 psychic tests), so we WILL get our 10+.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:39 pm

I'm with you on that: Smite is, at the moment, pretty underwhelming. I think it should "crit" on results of 10 or more since psykers are already crippled enough this edition, but like they often did, GW overreacted with their nerf hammer. Just discuss it with your opponents before and see if they are willing to let you play as written in the Index.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

ObscureMeerkat
Bronze Vault Member

Post by ObscureMeerkat » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:39 pm

In saying that, as I understand the CSM codex has a Stratagem that effects psykers where you can spend a point and swap a spell for another one. So you could swap Smite for Prescience, Death Hex or Warp time (for example) to help your tactics with your rubricae. I haven't tried it yet myself but I am looking forward do doing it.

Zhidkov
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Zhidkov » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:41 am

Dear Sirs,

I want to poin on another contradictory for me wording in Thousand Sons Terminator's datasheet:
- One Scarab Occult Terminator may replace his inferno combi-bolter with a heavy flamer or soul reapercannon. <...>
- One Scarab Occult Terminator may tale a hellfire missile rack. <...>

As it is not written "the other" I don't see any issues with armoring the same model both with heavy weapon and and missile. Still it feels as a cheating or at least minor advantage. May be I have missed something?

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:05 am

Zhidkov wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:41 am
Dear Sirs,

I want to poin on another contradictory for me wording in Thousand Sons Terminator's datasheet:
- One Scarab Occult Terminator may replace his inferno combi-bolter with a heavy flamer or soul reapercannon. <...>
- One Scarab Occult Terminator may tale a hellfire missile rack. <...>

As it is not written "the other" I don't see any issues with armoring the same model both with heavy weapon and and missile. Still it feels as a cheating or at least minor advantage. May be I have missed something?
I don't see a problem, at all, with modeling the missiles on the same model as the Soulreaper. It does not say "One OTHER..." which is common wording among other units with this restriction. In the end, you still have the same amount of offensive firepower in the unit.

There are, however, a very small number of models (one or two, I think?) that can cause specific targets to be killed, so it is entirely possible if you face these models, they can simply pick off your single model with both your heavy weapons. Something to consider. I believe one is Maugan Ra, which, when a unit fails a morale check, Maugan Ra's player chooses the first model to be removed.
Armies:

Zhidkov
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Zhidkov » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:46 pm

Thank you for clarification, sir! Really helpful :)