Wounds to blue and brimstone horrors.

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
gelaude
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Wounds to blue and brimstone horrors.

Post by gelaude » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:46 pm

Hy,

I'm playing my first tzeentch 8th edition game tomorrow and i have one thing I was wondering about. I see a lot of People allocating wounds to blue and brimstone horrors that where not there when the shots where fired. They just count a pink horror as having 5 wounds. I understand how they get there but is this legual?

Thx

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Wounds to blue and brimstone horrors.

Post by Koonitz » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:45 pm

As I was initially writing a reply to say that no, it is not, I have come to a realization that it's entirely possible that it IS legal and the method for which casualties in Horror squads could be taken.

Normally, it should be assumed that weapons fire coming from a squad happens simultaneously, however that is not the case (remember that weapons fire from a squad can cause further weapons fire from other types of weapons to be out of range, therefore it is assumed weapons fire does NOT happen simultaneously). Therefore, technically, each and every weapon SHOULD be fired one at a time, but for expediency's sake, the rules say you can group them together. Even grouped together, wounds should be caused individually (or '1 shot' at a time when the shots do multiple damage) because, as we just established, weapons fire does not happen simultaneously.

In the case of Horrors, the spawned horrors are placed on the board BEFORE the dying model is removed. So if you cause 5 wounds with bolters, the first would hit a pink horror, which, if he fails his save, would spawn 2 blues. From there, as the other 4 wounds happen in sequence (instead of simultaneous), the blue horrors ARE on the board at the time they are caused, and therefore they can be chosen as targets and, if they fail their saves as well, can cause brimstones to spawn (and, in turn, to be chosen as targets).

I feel this SHOULD be wrong, but that is me thinking in older editions, and how I believe the "spirit" of the rule SHOULD be. Unfortunately, I can't think that way, because 8th is a whole new edition, and I have to, as Yoda says, unlearn what I have learned.

Can anyone verify, or refute, these thoughts?
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Dheiti
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Dheiti » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:13 am

Technically in this current edition you should resolve each individual shot/wound/save one at a time as per the BRB (but all are rolled at the same time as per fast dice rolling)

With this you could envisage the following.
Bolter 1 causes 2 unsaved wound. 2 pink horrors split to 4 blue
Bolter 2 causes 2 unsaved wounds. 2 blue horrors split to brimstone
Bolter 3 causes 2 unsaved wounds. 2 brimstones removed
Bolter 4 causes 2 unsaved wounds. 2 blue horrors split to brimstone
Bolter 5 causes 2 unsaved wounds. 2 brimstones removed

It's the same result as fast rolling 10 hits, wounds and failing 10 saves, then removing 2 pink, the split 4 blue and the split 4 brims in one swoop. The difference being that the perception in the fast roll is that you are just removing 2 pink horrors without having to place the blues and brimstones and then remove them immediately.

Speeds up the game, perfectly legal :)
Armies:
Tyranids
White Scars
Death Guard
Harlequins

gelaude
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by gelaude » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:07 pm

Ok thanks.

blippityblip
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by blippityblip » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:53 pm

Remember though if your playing matched play then your opponent will need to be paying reinforcement points for those blue and brimstone horrors that their taking wounds for, if their not then they can't do it
power levels
Iron hands 1384pl
Ynnari 88pl
Admech 162pl
Imperial guard 326pl
Chaos 128pl
Space wolves 110pl
Tyranids ?

And a small dwarf army

Return to “Forces of Chaos”