Thoughts on my 30K in 40K Amry

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
Kaneda13
Bronze Vault Member

Thoughts on my 30K in 40K Amry

Post by Kaneda13 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:57 am

So, I REALLY like the look of the 30K armor, so I bought a Battle at Calth set and am building it to work with 40K rules, here's what I've build (on paper, no models assembled yet):

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [59 PL, 999pts] ++

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour [7 PL, 163pts]: Chainfist, Combi-melta, No Chaos Mark

Dark Apostle [5 PL, 83pts]: No Chaos Mark, Plasma pistol, Power maul

+ Troops +

Chaos Space Marines [9 PL, 155pts]: No Chaos Mark
. Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Chainsword
. 8x Marine w/ Boltgun
. Marine w/ heavy weapon: Missile launcher

Chaos Space Marines [9 PL, 140pts]: No Chaos Mark
. Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Chainsword
. 8x Marine w/ Boltgun
. Marine w/ heavy weapon: Heavy bolter

Chaos Space Marines [5 PL, 65pts]: 4x Marine w/ Boltgun, No Chaos Mark
. Aspiring Champion: Boltgun, Chainsword

+ Elites +

Chaos Terminators [14 PL, 210pts]: No Chaos Mark
. Chaos Terminator Champion: Combi-bolter, Power sword
. Terminator: Combi-bolter, Power axe
. Terminator: Combi-bolter, Power axe
. Terminator: 2x Lightning Claw
. Terminator w/ Heavy Weapon: Heavy flamer, Power axe

Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 183pts]
. Left Arm: Combi-bolter, Hellforged deathclaw
. Right Arm: Kheres assault cannon

++ Total: [59 PL, 999pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

We are still just playing table games at home, so I'm not looking to be competitive at a tournament, just looking to have fun. With the being said, If you see anything that is a glaring error, please let me know (either rule wise or tactics wise).
Last edited by Kaneda13 on Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

blippityblip
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Re: Thoughts on my 30K in 40K Amry

Post by blippityblip » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:13 pm

If you can get another heavy bolter and a missile launcher you could make 2 havoc squads instead of a third marine squad
power levels
Iron hands 1384pl
Ynnari 88pl
Admech 162pl
Imperial guard 326pl
Chaos 128pl
Space wolves 110pl
Tyranids ?

And a small dwarf army

Kaneda13
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Kaneda13 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:23 pm

I need 3 troop choices to get the Battalion CP bonus though.

Salamand3rs4Lyfe
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Salamand3rs4Lyfe » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:19 pm

You could split one 10man squad into 2 5man squads. But im not really a fan of that option.
7,849pts csm The Privileged
7,268pts Salamanders

I can pulp your flesh and snap your bones in less than a second, and without so much as lifting a finger. What is the power of technology compared to that?
- Chief Librarian Vel'cona of the Salamanders

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:52 pm

I see nothing wrong with what you are doing at all. However, I question why you put the Contemptor in the "unbound" section. It's a perfectly legitimate Chaos, <Mark>, Heretic Astartes or <Legion> keyword choice in your chaos army. As such, unbound is not required to bring it.

If you are concerned about specific legion keywords, the Imperial Armour FAQ clarifies that all legions (including Thousand Sons and Death Guard) have full access to any unit in Imperial Armour Index: Chaos with the appropriate keywords.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Kaneda13
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Kaneda13 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:16 pm

Koonitz wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:52 pm
I see nothing wrong with what you are doing at all. However, I question why you put the Contemptor in the "unbound" section. It's a perfectly legitimate Chaos, <Mark>, Heretic Astartes or <Legion> keyword choice in your chaos army. As such, unbound is not required to bring it.

If you are concerned about specific legion keywords, the Imperial Armour FAQ clarifies that all legions (including Thousand Sons and Death Guard) have full access to any unit in Imperial Armour Index: Chaos with the appropriate keywords.
That's just my inexperience with Battlescribe. Adding it as another unbound section as the only way I found to add it to the army list since it's from a different collection. (edited it just to remove that heading)

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:23 pm

Kaneda13 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:16 pm
Koonitz wrote:

That's just my inexperience with Battlescribe. Adding it as another unbound section as the only way I found to add it to the army list since it's from a different collection. (edited it just to remove that heading)
And this is why I don't use Battlescribe to build my lists (or, I point out, as a source for rules). They can be wrong. Always have the official rules for anything you wish to field.

Yes, yes, I'm well aware, "But Forge World, and shipping, and expensive and rawr rawr rawr". Welcome to the hobby.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons

Kaneda13
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Kaneda13 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:43 pm

Not sure I'm following you anymore... I do have the rule books for both Chaos and the Imperial Armour: Forces of Chaos, and I was completely aware I could legally have it in my army, I'm just not sure how to add it to my army in there software other than the way I did. I only use the software so I have a nice clean print out for my army (I definitely check everything against the codex. For example, It said I needed to pay 5 point for a power axe for my terminator with the heavy weapon, and I immediately went to the codex to verify, and this was in fact correct. I can replace the combi-weapon with a heavy weapon, but I still have to buy the power axe.)

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:49 pm

Kaneda13 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:43 pm
Not sure I'm following you anymore... I do have the rule books for both Chaos and the Imperial Armour: Forces of Chaos, and I was completely aware I could legally have it in my army, I'm just not sure how to add it to my army in there software other than the way I did. I only use the software so I have a nice clean print out for my army (I definitely check everything against the codex. For example, It said I needed to pay 5 point for a power axe for my terminator with the heavy weapon, and I immediately went to the codex to verify, and this was in fact correct. I can replace the combi-weapon with a heavy weapon, but I still have to buy the power axe.)
That's good. I just see a lot of people using Battlescribe as a rules and points reference, often never bothering to buy the rulebooks they need (such as the Forge World indices, 'cause espensive), then creating lists that end up being illegal because Battlescribe has errors in it. So many people use the program as a crutch and it does bug me a bit.
Armies:

Alkuzar
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Alkuzar » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:17 pm

Koonitz wrote:

Not entirely correct. You cannot choose for a Hellforged Rapier Battery, a Chaos Hellwright or a Chaos Hellwright on Dark Abeyant to be from the Thousand Sons and Death Guard.
Warhammer 40k:
106 power. / 1994 pts. Death Guard
33 power. / 667 pts. The Tainted
17 power. / 362 pts. Daemons of Nurgle

MarkOfNotch
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by MarkOfNotch » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:58 am

I have the same army as you, basically- mine is based almost entirely off two boxes Betrayal at Calth with a few extra models I picked up from a friend (Rhinos, a Daemon Prince and Obliterators) and I'm adding an extra Contemptor and a Sorceror (BoP Ahriman) that I got unbuilt on eBay next.

I have found there are no downsides to having MSU of Marines now. Two units of five are much less vulnerable to morale, can have the same loadout in terms of special weapons, can share a transport and help unlock the higher command point detachments at lower points levels. I use them in concert, supporting each other. Together they have the same damage output as a unit of 10, if one "half" of the 10-man units gets charged the other is free to operate normally without getting bogged down. You can also leave one small squad to hold an objective and move forward with the other.

The drawbacks; if you want to target them with a buffing power like Prescience you affect half the number of models as you would with a bigger squad. But since you can only use that power once per turn I would not use prescience on a Troops unit when I can put it on something with real bite. There are some situations where a buffing power like that would come in handy but more often than not you want to buff other, more dangerous units. They also can't have a heavy weapon, but I run my heavy weapons in Havoc squads. For 105 points a unit of Havocs with 4 Heavy Bolters is a good value backfield unit.

In brief, here is what has worked well for me from Betrayal at Calth;

Contemptors- very good units. I run mine with a multi-melta, deathclaw and a Soulburner. Soulburners are great; D3 shots, hitting on 2s, every hit causes a mortal wound. And they don't replace the claw! A must-take for me, especially against armies like Daemons or Terminator/Biker heavy armies. I have one with 2x Kheres Autocannons I converted I haven't tried yet but hopefully will soon.

Heavy Bolter/Missile Launcher Havocs. Lascannons would be better but didn't want to go with Forgeworld resin! I cheaped out. I wish I had two lascannon squads instead being buffed by...

The Chaplain model which I field as a cheap Chaos Lord, giving his reroll 1s bubble to heavy support units. Given I use it as a backfield unit I prefer him to his buddy in Terminator Armour because he is cheaper.

Here's what hasn't worked well;

Terminators- just too expensive right now for what they do. If you use them, don't make my mistake- keep them cheap. Again, if I wanted to build them as optimised units I would have bought Forgeworld Power Axes to keep their price down. However Power Fists are getting a price decrease in the new codex so that may make them more viable. Their combi-bolters can lay down a lot of fire which is nice, and if they are in cover they are very hard to dig out. Definitely avoid bringing them against armies with a lot of Smite.

Lightning Claws are also a viable way to run Terminators but I would go with either all Lightning Claws or all Combi-bolters/Power Axes. I prefer Combi-bolters/Power Axes because 10/20 shots the turn they come in followed by the charge either that turn or the next turn is nice. I don't like the unreliability of making a 9" charge the turn you come in. Unless you use something like a deep strike/warp-time combo I prefer that they are guaranteed to do something the turn they arrive, which means combi-bolters are the better choice imo.
Last edited by MarkOfNotch on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:19 am, edited 6 times in total.
Alpha Legion, Power Level 147
World Eaters, Power Level 96
Khorne Daemons, Power Level 30

MarkOfNotch
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by MarkOfNotch » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:02 am

As for Battlescribe, its useful for just throwing together a list quickly and then you double-check rules etc. I find it to be a very useful tool for writing lists. It's much quicker to use it and then check whether the list is valid than to write the list from scratch. So long as you check it!

MarkOfNotch
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by MarkOfNotch » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:11 pm

One thing I forgot to mention this morning; Contemptors have the Helbrute keyword as per this this Forgeworld FAQ

When the codex comes out, this will mean they benefit from Legion traits!

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:37 pm

Please edit your posts instead of double/triple posting.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2017:
Exalted Champion
85 Chaos Cultists
3 Chaos Bikers

Kaneda13
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Kaneda13 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:05 pm

With some of the leaks from the new codex, what about replacing my 5 man tact squad with 10 cultists (8,+1 champ, + 1 heavy)?

Return to “Forces of Chaos”