Black Legion Warband

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Black Legion Warband

Post by SweetSorrow » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:44 pm

Well I played the game, I had a terrible series of events in the first turn or two that basically went along the lines of a certain Army with D weapons that shouldnt be there had really good rolling turn 1 took out my entire Fist of the Gods detachment and left my Terminators and Warpsmith footslogging. :(

Tried my best but ended up conceding turn 4 to the Eldar player after there was basically no way I was coming back from the damage the loss of my Preds and Land Raider costed me.

Thanks for the advice guys and i will probably give the list another shot.
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:28 pm

You were fighting Wraith Knights or Wraithguards?
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

SweetSorrow
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:37 pm

Kovlovsky wrote:You were fighting Wraith Knights or Wraithguards?
Why choose one when you can take both :DDDDDDD
I wanted to cry. It was some bikers, wraithguard in Raiders and some wraithknights. Plus the invisibility biker stars and such and i should have in hindsight conceded after seeing the board layout.

On the upside saw a Thousand Son player with Magnus playing versus some necrons and that was pretty cool. That and my 750 point Flawless host game vs Orks was soo much fun.

Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:50 pm

If you're willing to continue to face this person even though he/she doesn't look like someone that want to have friendly games, you might want to try the Black Legion Cyplopia Cabal. This is a formation of 3 to 5 sorcerers. At the beginning of each psychic phase, you may chose one of them to manifest the power Shroud of Deceit (Warp Charge 3) and each other sorcerer from the formation gives him one additional free Warp Charge to manifest it in addition to your normal Warp Charges that you can assign to it. The power is a malediction that allows you to shoot with one enemy non-vehicle unit at up to 30 inches like if it was part of your army. If you do this on a Wraith Knight, you can do a lot of damage on his big units like another Wraith Knight. Or you target his Wraithguards that are a little too close to something else and you obliterate it with their D-Scythes. You can hide the sorcerers in a small CSM squad or something. It can be quite nasty.

To deal with Wraithguards, plasma guns and meltas are very useful. They might be T6, but these guns will wound them on 3+ or 2+ respectively and ignore their 3+ save. If they are in cover, you can make one or two of your sorcerers roll on Geomancy for the power Earthly Anathema that gives a target unit at 24 inches Ignore Cover to their ranged weapons, Move through Cover and they can shoot enemies without line of sight. Your meltaguns guys won't be safe, but plasma guns have 24 inches of range while Wraithguard's weapons have 12 inches of range max. So, you can kill them confortably at range as long as you blow up their transport early. After that, they move like infantry and will have a hard time reaching you.

I think you might have a better chance if you try these. Mass lascannon fire is also relatively efficient at taking down Wraith Knights. If you play Maelstrom of War (and you should), you can also play the board control game and stack objectives while denying your opponent them. If you can kill his scatterbikes quickly, he will be devoid of Obj Sec units.

Salamand3rs4Lyfe
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Salamand3rs4Lyfe » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:59 pm

I had a thought earlier today. The terminator annihilation force seems pretty good with the speartip rules since you get 3 terminator squads to deepstrike turn 1 that you can equip with various combi-weapons.
Armies i collect:
11,115pts csm The Privileged
7,268pts Salamanders
1,200pts gsc Sons of Jormangandr

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:28 pm

Salamand3rs4Lyfe wrote:I had a thought earlier today. The terminator annihilation force seems pretty good with the speartip rules since you get 3 terminator squads to deepstrike turn 1 that you can equip with various combi-weapons.
That's true although the only caveat is that while they can shoot twice when they deep strike, the special weapon part of the combi-weapons can only shoot once ever. But I think it's a pretty strong formation especially for the BL. If you pop the Wraithguards' transport early on, you can absolutely devastate the guards with that formation.

SweetSorrow

Post by SweetSorrow » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:34 pm

Hmm, might try the Cabal and terminator annihilation formation out. Or I can just do like I did this weekend and take my EC list and then just have them cry.

Whichever works.

In all seriousness Ill try out some of your suggestions as I want to give the Black Legion a fair go and try before I cross them off my preferred Legion list. Not that the list matters after the next few months. Also I see. So Wraithguard no starting in the Raiders or venoms. Understood. They can still embark in them right?

Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:59 pm

Yes, they can embark after the game starts during the owner's movement phase as usual because the Eldars and Dark Eldars are Battle Brothers.