TS+AL

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
regain
MiniWarGaming Beginner

TS+AL

Post by regain » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:54 am

i want to ally alpha legion on my TS army and i don't remember where it's written that i can.anyone remembers where i can find it?
also,can cypher be incuded in TS detachments etc?

Alkuzar
Bronze Vault Member

Re: TS+AL

Post by Alkuzar » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:13 pm

You can't Ally Alpha Legion with TS (if TS stands for Thousand Sons) as they are both from the same "codex".
You can bring both a Alpha Legion detachment and Thousand Sons detachment in the same army, just not as allies.

And yes Cypher can be included in TS detachments, as he does not take up a slot in your army, you do have to pay his point costs ofcourse.
Warhammer 40k:
106 power. / 1994 pts. Death Guard
33 power. / 667 pts. The Tainted
17 power. / 362 pts. Daemons of Nurgle

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:24 pm

Alkuzar wrote:You can't Ally Alpha Legion with TS (if TS stands for Thousand Sons) as they are both from the same "codex".
You can bring both a Alpha Legion detachment and Thousand Sons detachment in the same army, just not as allies.
This is actually important.

Technically, taking a detachment or formation from each and putting them in the same army does make one an allied addition (depending on which one is your primary detachment/formation) of the same faction. What matters is that you cannot use the ALLIED DETACHMENT, because it cannot be of the same faction as your primary detachment.

However, considering the Space Marines have a clause indicating that the various different Chapter Tactics count as separate factions when allied together, it is my recommendation that people house rule the same clause for the Traitor Legions supplement.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:47 pm

Koonitz wrote: However, considering the Space Marines have a clause indicating that the various different Chapter Tactics count as separate factions when allied together, it is my recommendation that people house rule the same clause for the Traitor Legions supplement.
This certainly makes a lot of sense. I would discuss it with my opponents beforehand if I was you to be sure they are okay with it since it's a grey area for the moment.

As for Cypher, you have two options to bring him in a TS army. Either you go for a CAD and in that case, Cypher is allowed to be taken as an HQ choice for CSMs. However, remember that if you do that, you won't be able to fulfill the requirements to transform your detachment into a TS detachment since the only special characters allowed in a TS detachment are Magnus and Ahriman. So basically, you will be playing a pre Traitor Legions TS army. The other option is to bring Cypher's formation from the lastest Gathering Storm book. In that case, you will be able to make your main detachment a TS one if you want. This is by far the best option for you.

As for bringing TS and Alpha Legion together, if you don't go for the house rule suggested by Koonitz, the easiest way would probably to field a minimalist CAD for your secondary legion and a more consistant detachment for your main legion (like the AL Insurgency Force detachment or the TS Grand Coven depending of which one you want to be your main force). My view of this is that the AL will work much better than TS as a secondary force. The TS kind of need some investment to really work while the AL works well simply by fielding cultist squads or Chosen.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG