Malestorm of Gore

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Malestorm of Gore

Post by SweetSorrow » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:23 pm

So there is a lot on Ebay that I am watching that is the Malestorm of Gore formation for 50$, but was curious whether or not the formation is any good? and also what book it is in? would it be better for me to just grab a maulerfiend or something else for my chaos or is the formation an okay buy? thanks for the help!
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Salamand3rs4Lyfe
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Malestorm of Gore

Post by Salamand3rs4Lyfe » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:43 pm

I've never played with the maelstrom of gore because it's betraying my master tzeentch but I've heard that it's an amazing formation for khorne armies. It's in the traitors hate book and the traitor legions book. Plus id say it's worth it if you ever plan on using khorne berserkers becaude you get a chaos lord and a bunch of khorne berserkers instead of a single model or such.
Armies i collect:
11,115pts csm The Privileged
7,268pts Salamanders
1,200pts gsc Sons of Jormangandr

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:18 pm

It's a great Khorne formation, especially if you are going to use the World Eaters rules. This is because you can take the Talisman of Burning Blood which adds +3 inches to the bearer's and his unit's movement, run and charge distances. Together with the formation bonus of +3 inches to their charge range, your minimum charge range is 8 inches. On top of that, the World Eaters' own special detachment allows you to redeploy all your non vehicle units of a distance equal to 2d6 and all your non-vehicle and walkers can reroll their charge distance. With all these combined, a first turn charge is a distinct possibility and a very powerful one indeed. So, if you're a Khorne fan, it would be a very good buy at that ridiculously low price.

And about your question, the formation is the Traitor Legion book and in Traitor's Hate too.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

SweetSorrow
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:37 pm

So it should be in the book i ordered. Cool. However if it is non-vehicles then that means I would not use my rhinos for World Eaters? I wish my book had come in since i ordered it so I could know for certain. I am thinking about grabbing the Chaos marine Starting box or this so I am at a loss :(
Guess i shall see if it stays at 50 or not.
It is only 20 berzerkers and a lord though
Seems like an awesome formation though with how quick it makes everything, if the Traitor legion book has more things like that in it I will be pretty happy.

Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Akaitsuki
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Akaitsuki » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:43 pm

As someone that recently built a list for this specific formation I have very limited experience other than just research but i would recommend a big fat NO to buying the maelstrom of gore over a Maulerfiend.

The maulerfiend will give you better mileage in just about any chaos army. Where as the maelstrom of gore is a decent formation that would've been great if not for a few issues...

Maelstrom of Gore suffers from the same thing that Blood Angels - Angels Blade detachment issue with it's Demi-Company formation. The detachment and the demi-company give the same rules making the demi-company a bit pointless since it grants nothing extra and the rules don't stack.

In that same way if you bring a Butcherhorde (which is probably what you want to do with World Eaters) and tack on the Maelstrom of Gore instead of the superior Chaos Warband then result is you will have some overlapping rules.

Maelstrom of Gore gives you FLEET and +3 inch to assault distance which sounds AMAZING! My eyes opened wide when i first read that but it's only for untis in the formation and they are all khorne berserkers which are expensive and to benefit from these rules you'll want them on foot which makes them very very vulnerable but the biggest kicker is that FLEET becomes redundant since being a world eater in a butcherhorde already grants you the ability to re-roll charge ranges and you cannot re-roll a re-roll. Fleet is basically useless and all you are getting out of this is +3 to assault distance with a bunch of units that will more than likely be killed on the way there or be at much lower strength in the case that you don't get a turn 1 assault. You can only get a turn 1 assault if your opponent allows it by being too close and other players arent brain dead so it's a toss up.

The Chaos Warband on the other hand has many great bonuses the biggest being objective secured on EVERYTHING and none of the bonuses overlap with the other great rules that you get from being a world eater in a butcherhorde. So you get more bang for your buck, more versatility and are still VERY VERY capable of launching turn 1 assaults as these guys are only slightly slower than maelstrom of gore on foot.

IF you have the option to get a maulerfiend, the maulerfiend is a great unit it has won me games it is one of the few solid choices in the current CSM codex.

SweetSorrow

Post by SweetSorrow » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:01 pm

Thanks for the constructive advice and feedback. I already bought the deal from the guy unfortunately as it was timed. Hopefully they serve me well and ill have to make sure to grab the Maulerfiend next time as You are definitely correct in it going in like everything.

Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Akaitsuki
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Akaitsuki » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:43 am

That's ok, its not like you shouldn't play maelstrom of gore, as i mentioned earlier i'm trying it out myself soon. I gave you that breakdown because you claimed you had a Maulerfiend option and it's just a better buy. Do get 2 maulerfiends (getting just 1 won't cut it) savvy opponents will know to kill that thing quick or it will wreck havoc.