New Death Guard Release

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

New Death Guard Release

Post by Bojazz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:58 pm

For those who haven't seen yet - https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ue-planet/

This looks incredible. New Death guard release a la Thousand sons. Prepare your butts! I'm guessing Mortarion will be with this release. Since Tsons got Magnus, and Ultramarines got G-man. Mortarion seems to make sense.
Last edited by Bojazz on Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: New Death Guard Release

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:15 am

I expected that the Death Guard would get updated at some point. They are the most popular cult marines after all. The models seem quite well done and surprisingly enough, not too bloated for once. Old players will recognise a lot of 2nd edition Plague Marines influence in the designs. I'm not sure if I like the Chaos Warriors looking head with the weird antlers. It doesn't feel 40k enough to my tastes. I would have prefered something closer to MK II power armors.

Mortarion is a likely addition I think. It has a lot of modelling potential and it would fill illogical if the main TS competitors didn't have their primarchs as well. The last pictures make it quite likely. :) Still no new Abaddon miniature in sight, but I think a lot of Chaos players will be happy. :P
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Cecil824
Silver Vault Member

Post by Cecil824 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:25 am

Kovlovsky wrote:I expected that the Death Guard would get updated at some point. They are the most popular cult marines after all. The models seem quite well done and surprisingly enough, not too bloated for once. Old players will recognise a lot of 2nd edition Plague Marines influence in the designs. I'm not sure if I like the Chaos Warriors looking head with the weird antlers. It doesn't feel 40k enough to my tastes. I would have prefered something closer to MK II power armors.

Mortarion is a likely addition I think. It has a lot of modelling potential and it would fill illogical if the main TS competitors didn't have their primarchs as well. The last pictures make it quite likely. :) Still no new Abaddon miniature in sight, but I think a lot of Chaos players will be happy. :P
I know I'm happy. This is a pretty stellar move. GW's just cranking stuff out like it was nothing. One thing I found odd was referring to themselves as the 7th legion. Nurgle number reference maybe? Aren't they the 14th? Either way, looks great. Hope for some new unit choices/weapon options. Mutant's may just be zombies..if not a new unit themselves.

I think its a safe bet Mortarion is next on the agenda..which is amazingly awesome. Rules wise, he's not a psycher to my knowledge in the fluff, so tough close combat monster? Possibly a regenerative type of monsterous support Lord of War?

Speculation is fun. Bravo GW. Bravo.
Heroes become legends. Legends become myths. Myths become fantasy.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:52 am

Cecil824 wrote:
Kovlovsky wrote:I expected that the Death Guard would get updated at some point. They are the most popular cult marines after all. The models seem quite well done and surprisingly enough, not too bloated for once. Old players will recognise a lot of 2nd edition Plague Marines influence in the designs. I'm not sure if I like the Chaos Warriors looking head with the weird antlers. It doesn't feel 40k enough to my tastes. I would have prefered something closer to MK II power armors.

I know I'm happy. This is a pretty stellar move. GW's just cranking stuff out like it was nothing. One thing I found odd was referring to themselves as the 7th legion. Nurgle number reference maybe? Aren't they the 14th? Either way, looks great. Hope for some new unit choices/weapon options. Mutant's may just be zombies..if not a new unit themselves.
Yep, I was surprised as well and you're right, they're the 14th Legion. It's certainly a reference to Nurgle's number, but it was a weird way to say it.
I think its a safe bet Mortarion is next on the agenda..which is amazingly awesome. Rules wise, he's not a psycher to my knowledge in the fluff, so tough close combat monster? Possibly a regenerative type of monsterous support Lord of War?

That's probably what he will be. I'm not very knowledgeable about Mortarion, but at the best of my knowledge, he wasn't a psyker before the Heresy. If he is now, it would be a gift from Nurgle, but I know nothing about it.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:23 am

Kovlovsky wrote:

That's probably what he will be. I'm not very knowledgeable about Mortarion, but at the best of my knowledge, he wasn't a psyker before the Heresy. If he is now, it would be a gift from Nurgle, but I know nothing about it.
I hope he isn't a psyker. That Nurgle is okay with psykers not-withstanding, Mortarion was one of the hardcore opponents of the use of psykers and one of the strongest voices for the censure of Magnus and the Thousand Sons at the Council of Nikaea, before the fall of Prospero during the Great Crusade. He was recorded as "Vehemently against".

Note, this statement is, in no way, biased by my loyalty to the Thousand Sons and Prospero.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Alkuzar
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Alkuzar » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:11 am

Tazok wrote:If it's Mortarion I bet one of his special rule will be ignoring the "no special character" rule for Death Guard Detachment. Otherwise it would be awkward to deploy.
Death Guard can field Typhus as special character.

And for some reason the vid is not loading for me.
Warhammer 40k:
106 power. / 1994 pts. Death Guard
33 power. / 667 pts. The Tainted
17 power. / 362 pts. Daemons of Nurgle

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:58 am

Koonitz wrote:
Kovlovsky wrote:

I hope he isn't a psyker. That Nurgle is okay with psykers not-withstanding, Mortarion was one of the hardcore opponents of the use of psykers and one of the strongest voices for the censure of Magnus and the Thousand Sons at the Council of Nikaea, before the fall of Prospero during the Great Crusade. He was recorded as "Vehemently against".

Note, this statement is, in no way, biased by my loyalty to the Thousand Sons and Prospero.
Yeah he was a psyker hater and one of our prime accuser. However, sometimes having such vocal hatred for a type of person hides a secret belonging to that group and the hatred for himself gets projected to others. However, FW stated clearly that Typhon, another Death Guard character, Lorgar, etc were repressed psykers, but nothing was said about Mortarion. So, I'm pretty sure it won't happen to that reactionary persecutor of knowledge and enlightment. :wink:

Alkuzar
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Alkuzar » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:48 am

After watching the Vid and watching some pics on other sites, i have to say i don't really like the look of them, they seem to fantasy like to me, with the big horns and all. Like SciFi blightkings crossovers.

But maybe some people really like that look.
Warhammer 40k:
106 power. / 1994 pts. Death Guard
33 power. / 667 pts. The Tainted
17 power. / 362 pts. Daemons of Nurgle

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:08 pm

Looks like we were right! Mortarion confirmed.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Cecil824
Silver Vault Member

Post by Cecil824 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:25 pm

Bojazz wrote:Looks like we were right! Mortarion confirmed.
Looks like a giant, sickening bug. I like it. I bet he'll fly into close combat like a spectral beast and regenerate wounds by spreading Nurgle's love with that big ol' scythe of his. Hope the accompanying zombie/mutants form a nice knot of guys for him to hide behind or passively buff.

I agree with some other posters it looks rather blight-kingish but thats not a completely bad thing. They're gorgeous models..in the most vomitesque way. Given they're more or less the Chaos powerhouse for CSM right now, I can't wait to see what gluttonous ruin this mess of a Primarch will spew forth.
Heroes become legends. Legends become myths. Myths become fantasy.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:39 pm

I thought that the leaked blurry pictures on the lower part had been identified as russian sculpts. You don't think that anymore?