Blessing of Tzeentch Question

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
Adrillf
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Blessing of Tzeentch Question

Post by Adrillf » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:13 am

If you're running a Thousand Sons army, you get the bonus rule of "Blessing of Tzeentch". The rule is that if a unit within the Thousand Sons army is targeted by a blessing their invulnerable save gets increased by one. This is pretty simple. Hit a unit of rubric marines with force, they jump from a 4++ to a 3++.

The question I have is what if you get two blessings off on the same unit?

Let's assume that we have a unit of rubric marines. They start with a 3+/4++ (sigil of corruption (5++) + mark of Tzeentch (1++)).
I cast force on them and their invulnerable save goes to 3++
I cast prescience, or any other blessing, on them and their invulnerable save goes to ? ? ?

There's a few thoughts about this.

The first is an argument is that the mark of Tzeentch will only upgrade an invuln save up to 3++. The problem with that is that it's not the mark of Tzeentch that is making this go past 3++.

The second argument is that it doesn't stack. However, in the rules it just says when a blessing is cast on the unit the result is a better invuln. It doesn't give any limitations on times you can do it, or how low you can get the invuln save to.

So what do you think? Does the invuln buffing stop at 3++? Or is it possible to get down lower?

Geradox
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Blessing of Tzeentch Question

Post by Geradox » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:40 am

For the MoT not to allow it to go past a 3++ you will have to pretty much not add it to the math of your invuln. I usually pop cursed earth which is also a blessing.
As far as I know blessings of tzeetch do not stack with each other but I would love to be wrong
Chaos always, always chaos.

Salamand3rs4Lyfe
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Salamand3rs4Lyfe » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:25 pm

Also as far as I'm aware rubric marines have an aura of dark glory and not a sigil of corruption meaning they have a +4 invulnerable save and not a +3 invulnerable.
Armies i collect:
11,115pts csm The Privileged
7,268pts Salamanders
1,200pts gsc Sons of Jormangandr

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:33 pm

There are two questions really in your post. The first thing is about the Mark of Tzeentch. What it does is increasing your invulnerable save by one to a maximum of 3++ or gives you a 6++ save if the model had no invulnerable save. However, the 3++ isn't an absolute cap, it just means that the Mark of Tzeentch cannot improve the invulnerable save further than 3++. If you want to reach 2++, you have to do it without the bonus from the MoT because the later ceases to apply if you reach more than 3++. Currently, I only think you can do it with the power Empyrean Shield from Ectomancy. It's a blessing that gives the psyker a 3++ invulnerable save and then the Blessing of Tzeentch special rule gets activated and the psyker reach 2++. In that example, the MoT is completely ignored.

The other question is wether the Blessing of Tzeentch stacks multiple times or not. I'm fairly confident that it's said somewhere in the rulebook that a single special rule bonuses can't be stacked unless stated otherwise. So, the Blessing of Tzeentch applies one time even if the unit is affected by multiple blessings.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG