Fallen Champions Formation.

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
Alkuzar
Bronze Vault Member

Fallen Champions Formation.

Post by Alkuzar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:03 pm

So, i have been playing with the idea to make the Fallen Champions Formation for my CSM army as they are Battle Brothers.
It's not for any kind of competitive play, but just for fun.

Now i was wondering if this is a viable option for the setup.

The formation self gives Infiltrate, And They Shall Know No Fear and stubborn to the entire formation.
Now i want to keep it to 1 unit of 10 Fallen, that way i can attach Cypher to the unit, so they all get shrouded also.

This is the setup i had in mind for the 10 man unit:

1x Fallen Champion with Power Fist and Plasma Pistol
1x Fallen with Power Sword
2x Fallen with Plasma Gun
2x Fallen with Melta Gun
4x Fallen with Bolt Guns

They all have the standard wargear, besides the stuff i upgraded ofcourse.

Any thoughts, or better setups?

Thanks in advance!
Warhammer 40k:
106 power. / 1994 pts. Death Guard
33 power. / 667 pts. The Tainted
17 power. / 362 pts. Daemons of Nurgle

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: Fallen Champions Formation.

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:53 pm

These guys aren Chosen right? First, unless you are addicted to plasma pistols, you should drop it. In my experience, they cost too much, do little and lead to killing yourself more often that you might think. Maybe at 10 pts I would consider them, but not at this price. Take a combi-plasma instead. It fits the Cypher role of short range AP2 and I rarely get to fire a plasma pistol more than once or twice in a game anyway. You can keep the power fist as a deterent against charges even if it's on the expensive side.

My vision of Cypher is that he's a short range shooter. Even if he can use his pistols' stats in CC, it's only for self-defence. So, your Chosen should be, in my view, shooty as well. So, I would drop the power sword and bring a fifth special weapon. Now we get to the heart of things: special weapon. My belief is that you told yourself this: since I'm going to infiltrate them, I'm going to be close and having meltas would allow me to blow up tanks... but Cypher is meant to slaughter MEQs and TEQs so let's split them in half and do both. It makes sense irl. Squads of infantry generally have a general purpose MG, a Squad Automatic Weapon, a guy or two with a LAW or RPG-7, etc. But it doesn't work in 40k. This because the whole unit has to fire a single target, so mixing weapons means that maybe a part of the squad will fire at something that cannot be damaged. So, if I was you, I would go either for all meltas (including a combi-melta) or all plasmas. In this case, I would go for all plasmas. This goes with what Cypher does best and it will be unit that your opponent is sure to go at great lengths to keep away with his terminators.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Alkuzar
Bronze Vault Member

Re: Fallen Champions Formation.

Post by Alkuzar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:03 pm

I have been thinking to do a full plasma or melta squad at the beginning with 5 of each, going more towards melta, because the gets hot on the plasma. But that does loose a lot of ranged weaponfire, thats why i decided to mix it up.
The pistol i took because i had the points leftover, i have not thought about getting a combi-weapon on the champion though.
Seems like full plasma is probally a better choice for the unit to stay shooty on a longer range.

They have exactly the same weapon choices as Chosen except they are 10 points each now instead of 18 points and GW is using the dark angel veteran squad as Fallen now, ofcourse you can make them look like whatever you like.
And before Rise of the Primarch book, the formation did indeed use chosen without the Chaos specific rules and dedicated transports.
Warhammer 40k:
106 power. / 1994 pts. Death Guard
33 power. / 667 pts. The Tainted
17 power. / 362 pts. Daemons of Nurgle