Model conversions Dark Vengence > KDK

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
Skullthrone
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Model conversions Dark Vengence > KDK

Post by Skullthrone » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:03 pm

Hi all!

After much deliberation I have decided to make a KDK army, the Blood Tithe was just too alluring to not try.

I actually started by buying someones army from ebay to give me a head start.
It was a good price, but noticed that some of the miniatures come from Dark Vengeance and would otherwise would not naturally go into a KDK Army (I don't think).

More specifically some Chosen CSM (13 of them) and 2 Characters from Dark Vengeance.

I was told by the seller that he fielded the Chosen as Elites and the Dark Vengeance Characters can be fielded as HQ's (and apparently are in some Traitor Legion formations).
But I do not know how this could translate to a KDK army.

Would love some advice on what I can field them as potentially? The idea would also be to try and convert the models also.

Many thanks!

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: Model conversions Dark Vengence > KDK

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:25 pm

I think that you have access to Chosen in the KDK book. If not, the models fit extremely well as aspiring champions for CSM units as they have power weapons that are rarely seen in Chaos kits. The Chaos Lord from Dark Vengeance would also make a very characterful Chaos Lord for your Daemonkins too.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Skullthrone
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Skullthrone » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:08 am

Hi Kovlovsky!

Thanks for that, I have access to the KDK book and had another read, I cannot see any access to Chosen CSM specifically within the codex. I can see units of CSM containing 1 aspiring champion, but that still leaves me with 10-11 of the miniatures left.

I could field them separately as Chosen CSM but I am still not 100% sure how Battle Brothers works, I keep reading what they can do, but on that token I am unsure what they cannot do.
I presume they cannot be part of any specific KDK formations? :evil:

Geradox
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Geradox » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:28 am

You can also use them as normal csm (I know not wysiwyg) until your collection expands a bit it is what I did I still do it even though I got over 4k points in csm
Chaos always, always chaos.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:01 am

Hello again!
Skullthrone wrote: Thanks for that, I have access to the KDK book and had another read, I cannot see any access to Chosen CSM specifically within the codex. I can see units of CSM containing 1 aspiring champion, but that still leaves me with 10-11 of the miniatures left.

I could field them separately as Chosen CSM but I am still not 100% sure how Battle Brothers works, I keep reading what they can do, but on that token I am unsure what they cannot do.
I presume they cannot be part of any specific KDK formations? :evil:
For the Aspiring Champion issue, what is cool with the DV Chosen is that they have different types of power weapons and two of them have regular bolters, so they can be switched depending of the wargear you give them. So having more than needed isn't that much of a problem.

As the second part of the question about battle brothers, Khorne Daemonkins and CSMs are battle brothers which means that they are allowed to do a certain amount of things that are nornally only allowed to members of the same army. It's a little too long to describe everything, but it's pretty clear in the rulebook. Also, the new FAQ availlable on the bottom of the GW website in the errata section adds a new restriction. Battle brothers cannot start deployed in each other dedicated transports, but can embark in them normally during the game.

As for the Ally Detachment, you cannot take one of the same faction than your Primary Detachment, that is the detachment that contains your warlord. Even if the KDK shares many units with the CSM, they don't come from the same codex and therefore you can take an Ally Detachment of CSM alongside your KDK without problem.

Last thing, about Chosen, if they aren't mentionned in your codex or in the list of units you can take in each of your formations, you can't take Chosen in them. You would need to field them in a CSM detachment or formation aside. Also, the consensus is that shooty Chosen (they can have up to 5 special weapons + 1 combi-weapon on the champion) are much better than CC Chosen. CC Chosen become too expensive with power weapons while being as squishy as the kuch cheaper CSMs. You're better to take terminators if you want a CC unit armed with power weapons. However, Chosen with 5 meltaguns or 5 plasma guns are extremely popular and useful.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG