1k Point Death Guard Highlander

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
thegeAK
Now we're getting somewhere...

1k Point Death Guard Highlander

Post by thegeAK » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:17 am

So I'll be participating in a tournament coming up in a few weeks and I'd like to get some input on my list.

First off, tourney rules!
1,000 points
Highlander
No more than 2 sources (CSM Codex and Legions book count as 2 sources)
Need to fill every slot (1 HQ, 1 Elite, 1 Troop, 1 Fast, 1 Support) BEFORE being able to add a second.
Only 1 unit type per army
No named/unique characters
No Formations
No Lords of War

So with all that out of the way...Here's my list

HQ:
Sorcerer. ML3, MoN, Bike, Blight Grenades, Force Stave, Poxwalker Hive, Spell Familiar, VotLW

Elite:
3 Terminators. MoN, VotLW, Combi-Melta x 3, Power Axe x 3

Troops:
Cultists x 18, MoN
CSM x 5 MoN, VotLW

Fast Attack:
Bikers x 5, MoN, VotLW, 2 plasma guns P-Fist on Champ.
Raptors x 5, MoN, VotLW, 2 melta guns

Heavy:
5 Havocs, MoN, VotLW, 4 Autocannons

My thoughts were:
sorcerer turns cultists into zombies turn 1 and then runs with biker squad. Cultists plop on an objective in the backfield while CSMs take another objective midfield. Raptors are mobile tank hunters. Terminators DS in to take out armor or MCs as needed. Havocs are backfield support. I was torn about giving them 2 MLs and 2 ACs. I'm not expecting a lot of issues from flyers at 1k points, but the MLs might be nice if I need some more anti-armor. Depending on the opponent I'd like to roll on either Geomancy and/or Telepathy. I'd do telepathy first to try for invis, if not, grabbing shriek.

Feedback?

I played this list once the other night and I rolled over my opponent, but that was because he had a fairly weak list.

coldsteel
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Re: 1k Point Death Guard Highlander

Post by coldsteel » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:28 am

The CSM squad seems too small IMO. But, you're stuck on points... Does the bike SGT really need a PFist?
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

thegeAK

Post by thegeAK » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:32 am

He probably doesn't NEED one. I did that since I was going to use him to tank challenges so my sorcerer could be free. I was hoping to use that to spark some boon table love. If I dropped the P-fist I could either grab another CSM body or put a PG on that squad I suppose.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:14 pm

thegeAK wrote:He probably doesn't NEED one. I did that since I was going to use him to tank challenges so my sorcerer could be free. I was hoping to use that to spark some boon table love. If I dropped the P-fist I could either grab another CSM body or put a PG on that squad I suppose.
I think that the plasma gun or the extra body would do more than a powerfist. 25pts on a wound guy with a 3+ save that will strike last is rather risky. Since at I3, you will mostly likely strike after marines, take a power axe instead. You save 10 pts that you can put on a special weapon in the CSM squad or an extra body. Other than that, I feel this list is fairly flexible and will be durable like all DG lists are. It might be a bit sluggish, but isn't it normal for our bloated friends? :)
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

thegeAK

Post by thegeAK » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:40 pm

Good points all around. I dropped the PF from the champ, gave him melta bombs, added 1 more CSM body, and 1 more cultist/zombie. That puts me at 1k points exactly.

What about swapping the Force Stave for a Force Axe on my sorcerer? I know they're not -meant- for CC, but I think he's going to be pressed into the role. Is it worth trading an attack and losing 1 STR to gain AP2?

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:12 pm

thegeAK wrote:Good points all around. I dropped the PF from the champ, gave him melta bombs, added 1 more CSM body, and 1 more cultist/zombie. That puts me at 1k points exactly.

What about swapping the Force Stave for a Force Axe on my sorcerer? I know they're not -meant- for CC, but I think he's going to be pressed into the role. Is it worth trading an attack and losing 1 STR to gain AP2?
DG characters have their Initiative also reduced by one, right? If that's the case, unwieldy won't be a problem and S +1 and AP2 will do better than S+2 AP4. The Force Staff is great when you roll on Biomancy because if you get Iron Arm, you can reach S9 (S4 base +2 from the staff and +3 from Iron Arms) and you get AP2 because you gain smash. But if you're going to roll on Geomancy or Telepathy, might as well take the AP2.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG