New Player 1st Army - CD with CSM support - where do I start?

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
Skullthrone
MiniWarGaming Beginner

New Player 1st Army - CD with CSM support - where do I start?

Post by Skullthrone » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:08 pm

Hello everyone :)

I am getting into 40k for the first time with a bunch of friends who are returning players, so they can answer some basic questions, but I think the joys of Chaos are out of their expertise :D

Fair warning here I have only been looking into this for a few days, so apologies for what are probably painfully basic questions....

I am looking to build my first army, and I want them to look awesome but also be fun to play, I was thinking CD with CSM support for some extra Dakka, also I get the best of both worlds for games and models.. This is probably a tough choice for a new player but it does appeal to me. I just find that to start, with all the choices I have from the 4 Chaos God Armies and also various factions of CSM (and all those codex) I have no idea where to start... I did borrow a CD Codex but felt a little more lost after reading it (still learning base 40k rules).

I have not made any investments in models or codex because of the amount of choice, I don't really want to invest in units I won't use at the beginning, so I held off buying a "Start Collecting" box even though they seem like great value.

So what would you all recommend? To start with I would be looking at maybe a 1000pt army to do some skirmishes with friends and get the hang of the game.
In terms of CD most the models looks awesome but Khorne models look especially so (bloodthirster :twisted: ), however I worry they are a bit 1 dimensional on the board to be the only CD I use? I have noticed a lot of tactics use fateweaver? In terms of CSM I have no idea who to pick, I am open to suggestions on all :)
I have also heard of Khorne Daemonkin, how would they stack up as an allied choice?

Also sorry if this is all located in the main 40k codex, but I've not found anything in the Daemon codex talking about formations? Where can I find this?

Finally (tons of stupid questions sorry) the guy in the store mentioned that a good way to use CD is to summon them, where can I read more about this?

Many many thanks!!!

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: New Player 1st Army - CD with CSM support - where do I start?

Post by Koonitz » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:55 pm

1st: I recommend posting this in the Chaos subsection of the forum. More targetted assistance.

2nd: For what to pick at the start, if you're dreaming of a giant, sweeping army, with units from all four Chaos gods, you're thinking big, but doing yourself a disservice for starting up. Of course it's daunting. Narrow it down. Start with a simple question: "What is my favourite Chaos god?" (or, more specifically, which Chaos god do you want to start collecting first?)

I think you've already answered it, with the mention of Khorne. Considering them theme of the game, a popular and good choice. One that is also fairly well supported with good unit selection and formations (see below). Once you've made your choice of which Chaos god is your favourite, start with that. At small points games, and even most reasonable points games, you will never field any reasonable army that includes elements from all four gods, let alone all four gods from two separate armies (CD and CSM).

Most Chaos players will pick one or two Gods, or non-dedicated elements (in the case of armies that aren't dedicated to a specific god, such as Night Lords, Black Legion or Crimson Slaughter) to focus their army on. Doing so will make it much, much easier for you to start your collection. You are also in a good position to make expanding your collection much easier. Get in a rut? Pick a new God!

More specific choices can be ironed out by the actual Chaos players, including the distinction between Khorne Daemonkin (KDK) and a CD/CSM army dedicated to Khorne.

3) Formations and Detachments, fair warning, are the most confusing part of starting into this hobby when it comes to army list creation. They are simply different ways of creating your army, offering you different choices, built around thematic army creation, offering you certain benefits based on the formation or detachment you select.

Officially, there is only one difference between formations and detachments. That is that detachments cannot be taken in an unbound army, only battleforged. While the distinction between unbound/battleforged is explained in the rulebook, the grit is: Unbound is completely open. Take whatever you want, however you want, so long as you don't use any detachments (ie: Want to have an army of nothing but Blood Thirsters? Sure, go for it). Battleforged is more restrictive, as every model must be part of a formation or detachment.

Almost exclusively, people will play battleforged. It is assumed, unless otherwise stated, that the game will use battleforged restrictions. This is especially so for competitive/tournament scenarios.

As for where formations are located, there are different supplements and books that will include the various formations available to a CD or CSM army. The core codex for both of these armies is old enough that they do not include any. The dedicated Chaos players can give you more information on where to find them and more specifically about what you will want to focus on depending on your God of choice.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Skullthrone
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Skullthrone » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:16 pm

Hi Koonitz,

Thanks for the really useful info and I will make another post with my more specific questions in the Chaos section :) But its nice to hear that a player can use a lot of Khorne and still be competitive.

I appreciate the help!

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:51 am

Skullthrone wrote:Hi Koonitz,

Thanks for the really useful info and I will make another post with my more specific questions in the Chaos section :) But its nice to hear that a player can use a lot of Khorne and still be competitive.

I appreciate the help!
FYI, I don't play competitive, so I have no idea how useful they are in competitive.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Geradox
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Geradox » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:49 am

I play khorne mostly and I play mostly against space puppies sometimes against GK or sisters and the only one I lose to regularly is the sister/GK player
Chaos always, always chaos.