Chaos Warband: Terminators or Chosen

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
Kalidas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Chaos Warband: Terminators or Chosen

Post by Kalidas » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:16 pm

Another new topic by me, what a shock ;).

Pretty self explanitory what do you feel is better and why? All the other slots seem self evident to me, fast attack bikes are just too good, heavy support relentless havocs(I run DG) are just amazing and a hellbrute doesnt compete as well, but for elites... I am at a loss. In my last game(and first game in years) I did Terminators and well they died the turn they came in :(. Now that could be my fault for deepstriking them in a bad position and or my opponent just focus firing them down with his whole army in one turn either way dead. Chosen though are cheaper, get better wargear(I would take 4 plasmas over 4 combi plasmas any day) they just dont have the same survivability as the terminators do and even though I think a unit of chosen can outgun terminators the terminators absolutely wreck in close combat, and are a real threat to any vehicle.

So thoughts? Opinions?

Salamand3rs4Lyfe
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Chaos Warband: Terminators or Chosen

Post by Salamand3rs4Lyfe » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:08 pm

I personally try to run both when I have the points but I think the general consensus is that chosen tend to be better overall due to the versatility of their war gear choices
Armies i collect:
11,115pts csm The Privileged
7,268pts Salamanders
1,200pts gsc Sons of Jormangandr

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:25 pm

Chosen are better at shooting for sure, but they are quickly overpriced when kited out for CC and they are much less survivable. This really depends of what you want to do. Chosen with 5 meltaguns and 1 combi-melta on the champion or 5 plasma guns and 1 combi-plasma are extremely potent at shooting and can remove a lot of things from the board, but the only viable way to bring them is in a Rhino. The terminators are great for the termicide tactic of deep striking close to something you want dead with combi-weapons without expecting them to survive. However, you can do this more carefully and if you add a terminator lord or a Biomancy terminator sorcerer with them, they can wreak havoc in the back line of the enemy. They are also great as a retinue for terminator characters inside a Land Raider. So in the end, it depends of your goals for the unit. Remember also that since everything with VotLW in the DG legion get's FnP, your terminators will be very hard to kill. 2+/5++ and FnP is no joke. Choose according for the role you want them to fulfill.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Kalidas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Kalidas » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:35 pm

Okay I think I have an idea of what I want to do thanks. Since I plan on adding a sorcerer to my 1500pt list, putting him in term armor with the termies would be optimal. DS them in with combimeltas and melt anything scary and hopefully the biomancy will keep enough alive for an assult next turn.

And instead of chosen I think two units of havocs would cause more damage via firepower.