Pre Rubric Thousand Sons

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
SanityJames
Silver Vault Member

Pre Rubric Thousand Sons

Post by SanityJames » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:51 pm

Hey guys, I've been away from the game for a bit and have started a new chaos collection based on the Burning of Prospero box. For the narrative of my warband, I'm going with Thousand Sons who were unaffected by the Rubric of Ahriman, whether it's due to spells or time travel etc I've yet to decide. The fun part of the list is that because they are unaffected by the Rubric spell, they are still susceptible to mutations.

To represent this I plan on using the Black Crusade Detachment from Traitors Hate, as that gives me free boon of mutation rolls, and allows the use of spawn and possessed to represent the mutating warband. However, because I don't want to pay the Mark of Tzeentch tax on all of my units and I cannot see myself using the other legions rules, I am currently looking over Crimson Slaughter for the extra rules.

I am aware of the Balestar of Mannon granting re-rolls to failed dice making it better than the spell familiar, the possessed getting a more defensive table and swapping my free +1 leadership for Fear. Is there anything in the crimson slaughter rules that I may have overlooked which may be of use or hinderance?

Thanks in advance guys!

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: Pre Rubric Thousand Sons

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:12 pm

Honestly, I'm not sure that I would for go Crimson Slaughter if I was you. The new table for possessed is neat, but you lose VotLW which is free with a TS army and this compensate having to pay for the MoT everywhere in my view. Since Space Marines players are extremely numerous, this is too good to pass with close combat units such as Possessed (and it's fluffier to make your guys VotLW since they're around since the Heresy than not). You would also miss the new Exalted Sorcerers which are amazing and the very nice Blessing of Tzeentch special rule that would allow you to have possessed with 3++ save anyway by casting blessings on them. I quickly reviewed the Crimson Slaughter formations and I'm not impressed either. They have great relics though.

What I would rather do is to use the Black Crusade detachment like you said because it fits your theme so well, take the possessed formation that gives them all their possessed table results at the same time and, if you have the points, take the War Coven formation outside your detachment. There are many great combos of powers that can really improve your units in close combat or just dish out damage everywhere and having 4 sorcerers on the board can really help with that. There is the Astral Grimoire that would be very useful to grant your close combat units like possessed the jump infantry unit type which will replace nicely the lost of the Beast unit type from the Crimson Slaughter's possessed table. I also feel that the normal possessed table shines with the Traitor's Hate formation and being TS, you can make them quite durable with your blessings. It's your call, but I feel your army would feel more like TS by using their rules than not. Anyway, you can make your own tests and then conclude on what works better for you.

As an aside, the new Exalted Sorcerer kits has many mutated bits that would make fantastic sorcerers for your theme! If you actually make your army, I would be interested to see your army being assembled and painted on the forum. There is a pretty great conversion potential around a Pre Rubric TS army.

Edit: Even if you go for Crimson Slaughter, I would still try to bring the War Coven. It's very fluffy and it would bring quite a lot of psychic support that will be handy.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

SanityJames
Silver Vault Member

Post by SanityJames » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:32 am

Cheers Kovlovsky, I'll have another look over the Thousand Sons rules again. The reason I didn't consider them at first was because of wasting the mark of Tzeentch on my regular troops, however with free veterans and the blessing bonus to the invulnerable saves I'll give them a try.

Here's some pictures of my Thousand Sons collection so far below, which is a mix from the Calth and Prospero boxes for the most part. I split the boxes to give me Iron Warriors as a second force for having two forces to run the board games also. I've gotten most of the painting done already with just a few models and lots of transfers to go, next up is expanding the collection with Exalted Sorcerers I guess, as having a single psyker in a Thousand Sons army doesn't sound right.

The Helbrute and heavy weapon Terminator are magnetised for convenience, and I have another custom built spawn in the works.

EDIT - Here's a quick summary of what I have in the pictures above;
1x Sorcerer (30K Ahriman model)
1x Dark Apostle; Plasma Pistol
1x Chaos Lord; Lightning Claw + Burning Brand of Skalathrax
14x Marines with Bolters
4x Marines with Heavy Bolters
4x Marines with Plasma Guns
2x Marines with Power Swords
5x Terminators with Power Fists with magnetised Heavy Flamer/Reaper Autocannon
5x Possessed
5x Raptors with Lightning Claw on Champion
1x Chaos Spawn
1x Helbrute with magnetised Reaper Autocannon, Multi Melta, Missile Launcher and Power Fist.

SanityJames
Silver Vault Member

Post by SanityJames » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:41 am

I've just had a thought which brings me back to Crimson Slaughter, most of my games tend to be only 1000 points and I want to be able to field divination support. My options here are daemon allies, unbound for exalted sorcerer or Crimson Slaughter.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:26 am

Your army looks great and I like the theme!
SanityJames wrote:I've just had a thought which brings me back to Crimson Slaughter, most of my games tend to be only 1000 points and I want to be able to field divination support. My options here are daemon allies, unbound for exalted sorcerer or Crimson Slaughter.
I'm not sure why you would have to go Unbound for Exalted Sorcerers. I've made effective 1000 pts list even with the MoT tax or even taking the extremely expensive Thousand Sons models. But otherwise, I can understand you want to save points by not taking the MoT tax on things without invulnerable saves at this point level. Tell us how your games go!
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG