Thousand sons list for new player

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
Alkuzar
Bronze Vault Member

Re: Thousand sons list for new player

Post by Alkuzar » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:16 pm

Valtsu wrote:After going back and forth with this I decided to leave Magnus out of the list for now.. I can get a lot more options without Magnus and even at least as much warp charges without him. This is the final thought:

Grand Coven:

- War Cabal:
3 x Exalted Sorcerers in total
All with ML3, disc of tzeentch, spell familiar and one with Astral Grimoire to go with the termies

1 x 8 Rubrics in a rhino with dozer blades

1 x 10 Rubrics in a rhino with dozer blades, Soulreaper cannon

1 x 5 Occult Termies with a soulreaper cannon and hellfyre missile rack

- Command:
Ahriman with a disc of tzeentch (propably as a warlord)

Auxiliary
- Legion armoury
1 x Predator with autocannon and lascannon side sponsons, dozer blades

With an army builder app that adds up to 1989 pts. This list is much easier to adapt for lower points games as well..

Should have just listened to you guys way earlier... :roll:
I would personally drop 1 exalted sorcerer and fill out the other Rubric squad to 10 and take a landraider over the Predator. Even with that you will stay below 2000 points. But that's just because I think Predators are a bit weak having just 1 of them.

Or drop 1 exalted sorcerer, fill out the rubric squad and get 2 or maybe even 3 predators. As since Traitor's Hate, CSM also can field a vehicle squadron. Meaning 3 predators in the squadron will only count as 1x Legion armoury. Downside is they all have to fire at the same target tho. But they do get Monster Hunter and Tank Hunter when fielding 3.

And concerning Magnus, you can always get him in a later stage, when/if you're planning to do bigger games, :)
Warhammer 40k:
106 power. / 1994 pts. Death Guard
33 power. / 667 pts. The Tainted
17 power. / 362 pts. Daemons of Nurgle

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:38 pm

Hello again Valtsu! Don't worry, I constantly tweak my lists myself. And when you start a faction, you rarely really know what you want until you've got a few games under your belt. I think that a lot of new TS players fall into the trap of buying Magnus right away without a good idea of how using him as efficiently as possible and realising that they cannot bring a lot of stuff around him. I think he should be more like the crown jewel of your army that you add to your collection when you have a good grasp of the psychic part of the game. He hits like a Soviet Guard Tank Army, but you need some skill in using him well and he kind of need a list tailored to his needs.

Your list is quite decent, but I may have a few suggestions to make it more point efficient. Exalted Sorcerers are great. I love them. However, my personnal opinion is that, unless the formations you use demand you to field only them or that you really need multiple psykers with access to Divination, you rarely need more than one (for divination which is awesome for TS). They have better stats and the Silver Tower bombardment, but they are also a lot of points. So my advice would be to transform two of your Exalted Sorcerers into 2 ML3 Sorcerers with a spell familliar, an Aura of Dark Glory and a Disc of Tzeentch. You would still have one Exalted Sorcerer for Divination and Ahriman who's a psychic machine gun and then 2 support sorcerers that can run other psychic disciplines. You will save about 90 pts this way and you still have 11 to spend in your current list for a total of 101 pts left. This should give you enough to boost the 8 strong rubric squad to 10 strong with a Soulreaper Cannon.

If my numbers are good, you should have 30 pts left for other things like a relic or else. I like equiping my aspiring sorcerers with melta bombs because it allows them to damage or destroy tanks and defend against Dreadnought charges. I remember that in one of my recent games, one aspiring sorcerer survived the destruction of his squad and blasted a Razorback with his melta bombs survived a whole turn of shooting and ended up eliminating the survivors of a Dark Angel squad with his bolt pistol and a charge and he finally died heroically in a hail of fire. It was quite a lot of fun. 30 pts is also enough to get a Burning Brand of Skallathrax. It could be fun on one sorcerer.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Alkuzar
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Alkuzar » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:22 am

Valtsu wrote:Regular sorcerers are ML1 without any upgrades right? What about using a daemon prince in a grand coven? Is there any point in it?
Yes, regular sorcerers are ML1 base.

And even though i don't use any myself, i think that daemon princes with wings and other upgrades are solid choices in most armies. But as i said i don't use them myself, so probaly other people can tell you more about them why they are good or why not.
Warhammer 40k:
106 power. / 1994 pts. Death Guard
33 power. / 667 pts. The Tainted
17 power. / 362 pts. Daemons of Nurgle

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:12 pm

Yes, there is a point using Daemon princes in a Grand Coven. They're powerful models since they are monstrous creatures and all their CC attacks are AP2, so they are great for using artefacts with relatively poor AP, but great rules like the Black Mace by example. With wings they are very mobile. That makes them ideal to join close combat quickly or fly around and manifest psychic powers or fry things with a Burning Brand of Skalanthrax while being relatively safe from harm. Their only disadvantage is that they are not cheap and aren't immune to being instakilled although you need S10 or weapon with the instakill special rule to do so. It's a good choice.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG