Death Guard Havocs in Rhinos

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
psychoticbuzzsaw
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Death Guard Havocs in Rhinos

Post by psychoticbuzzsaw » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:26 am

I played a doubles tournament Saturday decent size with 18 teams. I dont know if this has been mentioned before but OS DG Havocs in Rhinos are amazing!! They are way better than Razorbacks, two missile launchers, Autocannons, or Lascannons shooting on the move is beastly. A question I wanted to ask was if adding two flamers and a combi-flamer on the champ is a good idea to deter or cause max damgae to protect the unit when being assaulted when they decide to set up camp on an objective? Or is it better to keep the other two heavy weapons? What do you guys think?

Whitewing
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: Death Guard Havocs in Rhinos

Post by Whitewing » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:29 am

I'm pretty out of the loop, do Death Guard havocs have Relentless? Or a special rule for their rhinos that lets them shoot as if they haven't moved? Because if not I'm pretty sure passengers can only Snap Shot out of a transport that has moved.
Check out my Chaos Daemons Tactica! I'm super proud of it :D

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:21 am

Whitewing wrote:I'm pretty out of the loop, do Death Guard havocs have Relentless? Or a special rule for their rhinos that lets them shoot as if they haven't moved? Because if not I'm pretty sure passengers can only Snap Shot out of a transport that has moved.
Yep, the new vectorium rules in the Traitor legions book gives everything in the death guard army relentless.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Whitewing
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Whitewing » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:35 am

Bojazz wrote:Yep, the new vectorium rules in the Traitor legions book gives everything in the death guard army relentless.
Wowza, that is very, very powerful. And with that in mind a Havoc squad inside a Rhino would indeed be an upgrade from a Razorback, though at the cost of points I would assume.
Check out my Chaos Daemons Tactica! I'm super proud of it :D

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:54 am

Whitewing wrote:I'm pretty out of the loop, do Death Guard havocs have Relentless? Or a special rule for their rhinos that lets them shoot as if they haven't moved? Because if not I'm pretty sure passengers can only Snap Shot out of a transport that has moved.
Yes, all DG units with VotLW that aren't plague marines or Typhus get FnP and Relentless, but -1 to their initiative. It's currently one of the most powerful legion because of that.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

coldsteel

Post by coldsteel » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:04 am

Combi-flamer is a good idea.
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

psychoticbuzzsaw
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by psychoticbuzzsaw » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:47 pm

coldsteel wrote:Combi-flamer is a good idea.
Yea its what ive been sicking to in sqauds without flamers, but what about trading the two other heavy weapons to flamers to help with keeping their objective and not being swept off in an assault? Usually I run two Autocannons an two Missile launchers in my havoc squads but Ive just been doing a little experimenting with this since not only are they relentless but obj secured is just almost rule breakingly good lol

coldsteel

Post by coldsteel » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:10 am

psychoticbuzzsaw wrote:
coldsteel wrote:Combi-flamer is a good idea.
Yea its what ive been sicking to in sqauds without flamers, but what about trading the two other heavy weapons to flamers to help with keeping their objective and not being swept off in an assault? Usually I run two Autocannons an two Missile launchers in my havoc squads but Ive just been doing a little experimenting with this since not only are they relentless but obj secured is just almost rule breakingly good lol
I'm hesitant about diluting the squad's firepower, personally. But, since your plan is for them to hold an objective rather than be super-shooty, I'd say heck with it and do all flamers for one squad.
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

Jeffers
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Jeffers » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:40 pm

If you are going to do that then you might as well go chosen. I would keep the havocs with the heavy weapons to make use of the relentless

Kalidas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Kalidas » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:01 pm

Why did I never think of this insane combo?! I am making a DG victorium army with havocs, crap this is amazing.

As far as flamers go I think it depends. If you are moving around the table a lot using their transport some flamers might be nice as a way to quickly and safely clear out bunkers and annoying units hiding in cover. Otherwise I probably stick with what you have. I am running 3 autocannons and one missle launcher my self

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:34 pm

I think the decisive factor is how long you will keep them in the Rhino. If you plan keeping them in the Rhino most of the time, then I would bring 2 missile launchers and 2 flamers. This because there is only two firing ports in a Rhino. So you won't be able to fire more than 2 missiles at a time or use two flamers. Having more of either would be of limited usefulness. If you're going to disembark rather soon then I would take 4 missile launchers and possibly a combi-flamer on the champion. This way your firepower is maxed while keeping a defensive wall of flame ability. You could also take only 3 ML, one flamer and one combi-flamer if you want a bit more deterrent, but I'm adverse at reducing their long range firepower which is pretty much why you are taking them over Chosen in the first place.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

psychoticbuzzsaw
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by psychoticbuzzsaw » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Sorry about the late reply, Thank you guys for the advice running them around in rhinos shooting their heavy weapons is a blast. I have decided to keep all the heavy weapons. I have been playing a couple of pick up games and the ones that do set up camp are protected from most fire by their rhino hanging around as a moving wall. Truthfully Chaos has so many options now we can run around throwing people off their game with just so many combinations never the same thing twice lol Our only drawback is the points we have to pay in tax units...