Question regarding a modeling idea

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
Whitewing
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: Question regarding a modeling idea

Post by Whitewing » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:52 pm

Ya, having a unique and cool model is worth any disadvantage, really. And any cover/line of sight issues aren't really a problem for something like a Nurgle Daemon Prince with wings, what with having the 2+ cover save when completely in the open and all.
Check out my Chaos Daemons Tactica! I'm super proud of it :D

Kalidas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Kalidas » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:15 pm

Honestly the Prince isn't something I'm worrying about now and may just take you're advice wing and just add the giant fly wings. The Lord is something I want to buy soon, because I need something to replace Typhus as my "go to HQ" choice.

As for line of sight I am not sure the larger model will be a HUGE issue seeing as bikes are already difficult to get behind cover enough to deny LoS. I just need to worry about getting him cover in those few instances where it will be useful. I think it will be worth the few downsides to make something that personally sounds really awesome. I just need to make sure it won't cause issues with people.

Kalidas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Kalidas » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:40 am

Now I have a new question.

I was looking at ebay for cheap ways to models. And there are a lot of chaos lord from the venegence box for sale (like under 10$).

My issue is the model itself looks like it may be difficult to alter for modeling. Would I be be the off getting a normal lord or trying this dark venegence lord and giving it a try. I mean he does look really awesome.

Whitewing
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Whitewing » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:53 pm

The Dark Vengeance Lord is basically 3 pieces, the body is one solid piece, as is the cloak, and then the hand holding the sword. It's quite possibly the worst model to use for conversions, as it's pretty much one big block of plastic. It's possible to do it, don't get me wrong, but the mini will be fighting you at every turn.
Check out my Chaos Daemons Tactica! I'm super proud of it :D

Kalidas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Kalidas » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:53 am

I just decide to go to a nearby hobby store and got a regular lord there. Got a nice discount for preordering him too.I even asked the shop owner my question about modeling and he said no problem, said one guy has his chaos lord literally surfing on his bike.

I think I found my main gaming spot :D

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:01 am

Kalidas wrote:said one guy has his chaos lord literally surfing on his bike.
DOOOOOOOOOOM RIIIIIIIIIIIDERRRRRRRRR!! May he rest in peace....
[+] Expand
Old Chaos special character.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Kalidas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Kalidas » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:21 am

lol nice. I don't think I played Chaos during that time. My first army was actually the Tyranids in 3rd edition 40k, so yeah never knew about Doom Rider lol

Kalidas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Kalidas » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:35 am

Koonitz wrote:
Kalidas wrote:said one guy has his chaos lord literally surfing on his bike.
DOOOOOOOOOOM RIIIIIIIIIIIDERRRRRRRRR!! May he rest in peace....
[+] Expand
Old Chaos special character.
seriously after seeing this, and finishing up the Fulgrim Horus Heresy book. I am super tempted to make an Emperors Children army now :D. Their fall to chaos was just so intense, plus who wouldn't want to kill your enemies with evil weaponized guitars?!

I can even think of a crazy conversion. Take an exorcist tank (the one with the organ pipes) paint it up in Emperors children colors, there a really fluffy and cool looking Emperors Children Land Raider

Kalidas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Kalidas » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:37 pm

Okay so I finally finished the model. Boy did it come with trials and tribulations. So first I went to my near by hobbyshop and order a chaos lord... only to find out a week later GW ran out of them! So I decuded to get an aspiring champion (big mistake) the aspiring champion is not good for modeling and just would not work for my project. Luckily I had been able to buy my chaos bikers, so I replaced a chaos biker on top of the drone, took my favorite parts from the aspiring champion and put them on the biker, and with some green stuff work finished it.

http://imgur.com/a/AjtB5

I know I am no professional but I like it and am pretty proud of it.

Kalidas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Kalidas » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:51 pm

Sorry to bring this post back up but I am going to be making massive changes to the model. First I want to repaint the rotflies flesh, I painted his flesh the same colors as my armies power armor and so it is odd seeing his flesh the color of what should be necrotic armor. I plan on going for a much lighter color scheme

As for the dude I decided to buy a brand new model to replace the biker on top. As much as I like him there are things about it I think could be better. First his legs look like he is a toddler sitting on a bench, next even with all the stuff I added he just doesnt look "lordly". So I got this guy

https://goo.gl/images/4XabVF, he just looks so awesome, like a real grizley abomination of nurgle. So far I removed the rock from his foot(that was surpisingly easy), cut away the chain mail between his legs thus seperating the legs and did a test position. His feet(if I position everything perfectly) will fit nicely on top of the flies front arms(as if the arms acted as stirups). On my next day off of work I will be using a heat gun to adjust the cloak on the front and chains in the back to create a draping effect over the flies carapace. I really think this will be a great improvement.

Any advice or ideas are totally welcome, like maybe ways I can try and make the lord look more like he belongs in the 40k universe.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:02 pm

I forgot to tell you earlier, but I find that the slimy effect you did on your model is absolutely fantastic! When I saw it the first time, I experienced an instinctive reaction of disgust! You really perfectly captured the spirit of Nurgle which quite an achievement! As for your new idea, I think it will have a lot of panache, although for obvious reasons (I'm a TS player), I've never been too much into the bloated Nurgle style. ;) Keep us informed on your project advancement!
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Kalidas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Kalidas » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:44 am

Kovlovsky wrote:I forgot to tell you earlier, but I find that the slimy effect you did on your model is absolutely fantastic! When I saw it the first time, I experienced an instinctive reaction of disgust! You really perfectly captured the spirit of Nurgle which quite an achievement! As for your new idea, I think it will have a lot of panache, although for obvious reasons (I'm a TS player), I've never been too much into the bloated Nurgle style. ;) Keep us informed on your project advancement!
I honestly can not for the life of me figure out where that slime effect comes from(nurgles rot?), but thanks. Sadly it comes off as more of a shine in the light so I also got some dull coat, hopefully that will mellow the shine but keep ths slime effect.

Yeah I hope it all turns out well. You ever done any cool Thousand Sons modeling stuff? If not I had a neat idea, someone should do that whole "ancient Egyupt" idea and dial it to a hundred, maybe replace the head of an exalted sorcerer with a jackels head BAM you just made yourself an Anubus sorcerer

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:53 pm

Kalidas wrote: I honestly can not for the life of me figure out where that slime effect comes from(nurgles rot?), but thanks. Sadly it comes off as more of a shine in the light so I also got some dull coat, hopefully that will mellow the shine but keep ths slime effect.
It's probably the type of paint used. It's really cool anyway!
Kalidas wrote:Yeah I hope it all turns out well. You ever done any cool Thousand Sons modeling stuff? If not I had a neat idea, someone should do that whole "ancient Egyupt" idea and dial it to a hundred, maybe replace the head of an exalted sorcerer with a jackels head BAM you just made yourself an Anubus sorcerer
I actually do have third party bits for Thousand Sons terminators and Chosen that comes from Russia I believe that I found a while back when I couldn't even imagine that they would redo the TS models and make terminator ones. There is one terminator head that looks like a Jackal and it will be the Champion. There is also a Chosen helmet that looks a bit like a stylised jackal too. So, there will be an healthy amount of ancient egypt inspired models in my army. I will post photos of them when they are done in my WiP thread.

Kalidas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Kalidas » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:38 pm

That sounds so awesome. Maybe an eagles head too? I dont know but sticking the head of some old school egyptian god on a TS lord sounds great. I guess the big issue would be trying to model it as a helmet or a head piece as a mutation wouldnt be fluffy, thanks Ahriman

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:42 pm

Kalidas wrote:That sounds so awesome. Maybe an eagles head too? I dont know but sticking the head of some old school egyptian god on a TS lord sounds great. I guess the big issue would be trying to model it as a helmet or a head piece as a mutation wouldnt be fluffy, thanks Ahriman
I do have at least two helmets shaped like bird heads from the same terminator kit. I plan to use one for a terminator sorcerer and the other just for a regular terminator. Also, the new Exalted Sorcerer kit and the art in Wrath of Magnus sports some mutated bird or devilish heads, mutated arms, etc. They seem to have somewhat retconned the Rubric of Ahriman effects and changed it from stopping the mutation to simply slowing them down. I'm a bit divided on how much I like it, but some of the mutated bits look quite cool so, I think it might be interesting in the end. And it adds like an additional fatalistic feeling to the TS that is kind of cool.