Question regarding a modeling idea

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
Kalidas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Question regarding a modeling idea

Post by Kalidas » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:03 pm

So a while back I had this idea that if I ever bought a daemon Prince (Nurgle of course) that the way I would show it having "wings" would be to use a nurgle drone on it's back. Think a giant demon fly carrying a daemon Prince around.

Well now I had another similar idea. I wanted to buy a chaos lord soon and probably stick him on a bike and throw him in a squad of bikes (or with spawns). Now what IF I put this Lord on a nurgle drone (you can buy single drones as kits). Do you think people would be upset with a Lord on a drone and treating it like a bike? Or would that not cause big issues?

I honestly think it just sounds super awesome, seeing a Lord coming down to murder his enemies riding on the back of a large nasty demon fly. I just don't want to piss people off.

Whitewing
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: Question regarding a modeling idea

Post by Whitewing » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:16 pm

The only issue with the drone as a bike idea is that it doesn't come with a bike base, and some folk may have an issue with that, since it alters how the model's ranges work and how it moves, but personally I think it's a great idea! Grab a bike base for it, put the Drone's flying base spike on the bike base, and weigh down the base because it will be pretty top heavy.

As for the whole drone carrying a Daemon Prince thing, it sounds like a fun idea, but you should definitely think long and hard about how the drone is going to be grabbing onto the Daemon Prince, from my thoughts that will be the hardest part to get right. Another potential concern is the size of the wings, Drones are pretty big, but not Daemon Prince sized, so using the stock wings could make it look a bit too small. When I built my own fly wings Prince, I modified two of the wings to make them longer, to fit the size of the model:

(that's mine on the right)
Check out my Chaos Daemons Tactica! I'm super proud of it :D

Kalidas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Kalidas » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:46 pm

Whitewing wrote:The only issue with the drone as a bike idea is that it doesn't come with a bike base, and some folk may have an issue with that, since it alters how the model's ranges work and how it moves, but personally I think it's a great idea! Grab a bike base for it, put the Drone's flying base spike on the bike base, and weigh down the base because it will be pretty top heavy.

As for the whole drone carrying a Daemon Prince thing, it sounds like a fun idea, but you should definitely think long and hard about how the drone is going to be grabbing onto the Daemon Prince, from my thoughts that will be the hardest part to get right. Another potential concern is the size of the wings, Drones are pretty big, but not Daemon Prince sized, so using the stock wings could make it look a bit too small. When I built my own fly wings Prince, I modified two of the wings to make them longer, to fit the size of the model:

(that's mine on the right)
Ah yes great point. Good thing I am buying some bikes anyways, a box should come with extra bases right? If not is there a way to just get a base?

Yeah I thought of that issue already. As far as where the drone would grab, I was thinking green stuff would do the trick, as far as small wings go your idea works marvelously.I really like the look of your Prince; He's a giant daemon bug! Reminds me of Mothra, now all you need is a godzilla (like maybe a carnifex :D) to challenge.

Thanks for the advice and tips. I am glad you like the idea. I think it would just look bad add. Plus on positive side of I ever want him to have a jump pack his plague drone could double as a jump pack :D(If I change the base again that is)

Whitewing

Post by Whitewing » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:21 pm

A Godzilla? Well now you've got me thinking...

A while back I had the idea of making 3 custom Khorne Daemon Princes, each of them representing a different aspect of the Blood God. One would be the Soldier/Warrior aspect, a giant suit of armour with a huge roman-style shield, one would be the Bloodthirsty, and one would be the Bestial. I never quite figured out how I wanted to represent the Bestial aspect of Khorne, but a giant lizard monster would probably fit the bill nicely with a few decorative additions like a massive Brass Collar.

I'll have to mull this over for a bit and see what I have floating around in the "Assorted Bitz and Unopened Kitz" box, but it could be a fun build.

Kalidas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Kalidas » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:59 pm

If you don't already have a plan for the bloodthirsty version I have a cool suggestion. I am actually practicing Hindu and think something modeled around the theme of the goddess Kali would be awesome. Give it four arms, a giant whipping tongue, armor made out of the limbs of dead humans, a necklace of skulls, just not sure how you would make a female chaos daemon.

I may have to steal this idea HAHAHAHA

Whitewing

Post by Whitewing » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:00 am

I had something like this in mind for the bloodthirsty Prince:

Except with more skulls and blood, of course. Your idea sounds amazing though, you could use Slaanesh or even certain Tyranid models as a basis for it.

Kalidas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Kalidas » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:50 am

oh yeah that guy looks amazing as all hell. Hopefully you post pictures.

If and when I start making my lord I think I will post pictures. I am not the best at painting but I try and have learned a lot over the years. I should post pictures of my plague marines and nurgley rhino (its got giant pimples on it!).

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:26 pm

Kalidas wrote:Ah yes great point. Good thing I am buying some bikes anyways, a box should come with extra bases right? If not is there a way to just get a base?
Boxes never come with extra bases. They will always come only with exactly enough bases for the advertised number of models. For instance, if the box advertises 3 bikes, it will come with 3 bike bases. If you would like extra bases, they are available from GW here. Note this is the Canadian site. Switch to your chosen country as needed.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Kalidas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Kalidas » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:29 pm

Awesome thanks

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:44 pm

I suppose I should also mention that it's not necessary to place a model on the exact base necessary for the intended 'stand-in'. While there are arguable benefits and drawbacks, rules-wise, of going both smaller and larger, most people will not argue when the base is different due to practical reasons.

For instance, in the picture, above, of the two Daemon Princes, by Whitewing, the third model, in behind, is the Fantasy End Times/Age of Sigmar Glottkin. It does not have a 40k equivalent, so it is most likely being used as a Great Unclean One or another Daemon Prince. The base used is the Glottkin base, not the traditional GUO/DP base.

I'd say instead of using a bike base, if you intend to use a drone as the mount, use the drone's base. It will be more stable and practical.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons

Kalidas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Kalidas » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:53 pm

Okay makes sense. I think I will just double check with the shop near by. Where I used to live the closest hobby shop was an hour away. Now there is a GW about 15 minutes away. So I will ask and see what the owner says. I personally don't see an issue as it's just for looks, but who knows there may be some unseen advantage I am not seeing

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:12 pm

Kalidas wrote:Okay makes sense. I think I will just double check with the shop near by. Where I used to live the closest hobby shop was an hour away. Now there is a GW about 15 minutes away. So I will ask and see what the owner says. I personally don't see an issue as it's just for looks, but who knows there may be some unseen advantage I am not seeing
If I read your intentions correctly, what you are doing is more likely to end up being a disadvantage more than an advantage.

By taking a standard daemon prince and put a drone on top of him to 'carry' him, you're making the model much taller, which, in turn, will make the model much harder to hide. While it is said that you ignore monstrous creature peripheral appendages, like wings, I would argue that the drone would not be classified as wings (the drone's wings would be). The drone would be considered part of the model's body and, as such, would be a targetable portion of the model. Remember that Monstrous creatures must be 25% concealed to claim cover and cannot claim area terrain cover by simply being in area terrain.

This goes same for the lord on drone. A lord on a drone would be much taller than a lord on bike and, as such, would be much harder to hide.
Armies:

Kalidas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Kalidas » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:17 pm

This is all true. And is something I would have to consider before just doinv it. Is it worth the possible disadvantages for a really awesome looking model? Honestly probably lol, I think that's objective.

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:00 pm

Kalidas wrote:Is it worth the possible disadvantages for a really awesome looking model?
Every single time.

A game ends in a couple hours. A cool model lasts forever.
Armies:

Kalidas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Kalidas » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:30 pm

Koonitz wrote:
Kalidas wrote:Is it worth the possible disadvantages for a really awesome looking model?
Every single time.

A game ends in a couple hours. A cool model lasts forever.
You, I like you. This is a great answer and I agree whole heartedly. Nothing can replace that feeling of an amazing model you made yourself.