Taking the leap

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
Shikatsu
Silver Vault Member

Taking the leap

Post by Shikatsu » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:42 pm

So ya'll I just purchased my Dark Vengeance set and am waiting with eagerness to get the ball rolling. A warband of some sort to be in the works, I keep coin tossing between EC and Black Legion since I fell in love with the fluff for both(darn you Talon of Horus for making me get IDEAS!)

Hopefully have a buddy of mine who is into the painting thing(painting is my kryptonite :P) and will get pictures when I can...

Jeffers
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Taking the leap

Post by Jeffers » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:25 pm

Great news that you are diving into a new army. I really like emperors children due to they wanted that perfection when it cam to warefare. Lots of scope to do customising.

Working to a combined arms or chaos warband is a great start. But the start collecting or the new box that you get a squad of marines and rhino us a solid backbone

Shikatsu
Silver Vault Member

Post by Shikatsu » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:57 pm

I was going to morph up the DA from DV to do the thing. The reason I was looking at Black legion was more I like both alpha strike and speed of attack(EC with the initiative and FNP to carry through though is tempting.), also being multi-god helps too.
Jeffers wrote:Great news that you are diving into a new army. I really like emperors children due to they wanted that perfection when it cam to warefare. Lots of scope to do customising.

Working to a combined arms or chaos warband is a great start. But the start collecting or the new box that you get a squad of marines and rhino us a solid backbone
I will keep an eye on that though Jeffers for the next step, though I am trying to think of a good auxiliary formation that is not just a spawn and smile.

I will probably grab the rhino and the rest up next. Especially with that new desolation squad and rhino that is on the store right now.
General-Kroll wrote:If you like the Emperors Children I recommend reading Fulgrim. That will likely make your mind up :wink:
Already did General , I also play in a lot of World of Darkness games so I see some...homey touches from that.

Htedomsa
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Htedomsa » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:18 pm

Black Legion is the way I went. Totally love the fluff surrounding the Heresy and the later Abbadon's Black Crusades are awesome. I love the idea of an entire legion (not a puny chapter as the became) waiting and seething with hatred for the Emperor. Plus gotta love the colors.
~Htedomsa~
[/color][/b]
"If your good at anticipating the human mind, it leaves nothing to chance."

Shikatsu
Silver Vault Member

Post by Shikatsu » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:16 am

I also like the mixinging of marks at some level...

I may end up going with a hounds of abaddon main force, maybe with a slaaneshi set of raptor talon or something of the sort for Black legion. The fluff story is building as a group of freshly made marines getting thrown into the blender with an older raptor lord as monitor.

Though if I did it as EC, I was contemplating them being a warband who was entirely without sonic weapons(heresy). Going to work toward old fashioned perfection of war as an art. (Mind you this is more due to cash limits then actual desire. I know ebay is grand but I want to hit the ground running with what I got out the box.

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:36 am

Black legion has an edge in flexibility, being the only legion that can take every non-unique unit we have access to, even the new tzaangors and exalted sorcerers (albeit only as part of a combined arms detachment). Plus, hatred forces of the imperium is pretty sweet with all the allies running around these days.

Emperors children are pretty cool as well though, but less flexible. The plus side being that thanks to noise marines and access to the mark of Slaanesh, they do both shooting and close combat really well. Striking before space marines and at the same time as eldar is pretty good both defensively and offensively. Fearless is also huge for a CSM army, because even army wide Ld9/10(most units are 10 with their champion) is not always too reliable.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Shikatsu
Silver Vault Member

Post by Shikatsu » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:46 am

I thought noise marines were fearless on top of Votlw?(keeping it bolter though :P)

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:51 pm

Noise marines are, as are possessed and other cult troops, but with the Emperor's children, every unit with the mark of Slaanesh and veterans is now fearless, which is a huge boost compared to the black legion which is stuck with just veterans.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Shikatsu
Silver Vault Member

Post by Shikatsu » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:49 pm

Ahh I thought so but brain sometimes gets like a sieve...things fall through.