Thousand Sons Daemon Prince colour

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
Arkrove
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Thousand Sons Daemon Prince colour

Post by Arkrove » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:20 am

Hey there guys. I am having trouble figuring out what colour my Daemon Prince's skin is going to be. The purple skin seems too similar to the Blue on my Thousand Son's armour and I believe it won't look that good. I like to see your suggestions and to see some skin you have done on your own Daemon Princes. Thanks
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."

"If the path to salvation leads through the halls of purgatory, then so be it."

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Thousand Sons Daemon Prince colour

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:09 am

Have you considered going with a white / very light blue skin?
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:17 pm

Personnally, my Thousand Sons Daemon Prince of Tzeentch has his skin somewhere between skyblue and royal blue, while the power armor is royal blue with details in tarnished gold. I agree that's a lot of blue, but I thought this to be fluffy. It's unfinished for the time being so I don't have photos. If you don't want to have both the armor and the skin blue, an idea would be to paint the power armor in gold. It's quite flashy. I wouldn't go for a purple skin because I think it would make it look like a Daemon Prince of Slaanesh. Epick Duck Mike's suggestions could look cool too.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Arkrove
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Arkrove » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:54 pm

Epic Duck Mike wrote:Have you considered going with a white / very light blue skin?
No I haven't thought of that before. Although White may seem like a good idea I'm really liking the very light blue skin a little bit more and I think I might go with that idea. Thank you and Kovlosky for your suggestions.

Bujiga
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Bujiga » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:03 pm

I did mine in red (mechrite red base).

It looks really nice with the blue power armour around it.

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:30 am

I would suggest red as well, I mean the thousand sons primarch is even called Magnus the Red and has red skin.(in the newer artwork anyway)
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:56 am

Arnathos wrote:I would suggest red as well, I mean the thousand sons primarch is even called Magnus the Red and has red skin.(in the newer artwork anyway)
Ah that's something that I didn't thought of. I think he was always with a red skin, but in older incarnations, he was really a cyclop and not just having lost an eye.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:16 pm

Here, I have photos of my unfinished Thousand Sons Daemon Prince. The flesh and the wings are mostly finished, but the armor isn't. I have no artistic talent so it's my friend who is painting it and he has a lot of skill (I buy him the paint and also gave him the Dark Angel half of my Dark Vengence box to thanks him since he plays Dark Angels). I think it will look great when the armor will be finished. I think only the first layer has been done. I hope the links will work, I don't use google drive much.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6X3Nf ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6X3Nf ... sp=sharing

Arkrove
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Arkrove » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:05 am

Arnathos wrote:I would suggest red as well, I mean the thousand sons primarch is even called Magnus the Red and has red skin.(in the newer artwork anyway
That might be a very good idea however I have already begun on the very light blue skin Epic Duck Mike suggested. In the future when I get another Daemon Prince I might do some red skin instead.

And in regards to Magnus, yes he has red skin as a Daemon Prince but a common misconception many people have is that they think he had red skin before he turned into a Daemon Prince but in fact he is described to have bronzed skin (as described in novels). Just thought I would put that out there :P
Last edited by Arkrove on Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:21 am

Looking forward to seeing the light-blue toned skin. Just an FYI, you can highlight light blue with pure white quite effectively, and overall it'll retain a blue appearance :)
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Arkrove
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Arkrove » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:24 am

Thank you very much for the tip. Once I have finished painting it up I will post a picture on here.