Chaos Daemons Tactica: Updated for 7th Edition!

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
Whitewing
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: Chaos Daemons Tactica: 2014 Edition

Post by Whitewing » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:29 pm

FrostFox72 wrote:So would you say it's worth it to give a Great Unclean One the Eternal Blade or is it just best to take the Balesword? Doesn't seem clear to me, considering the GUO's Monstrous size would give AP2 and make it better. Seemed like a pretty good option considering, and I've used it to great effect before.
Otherwise great Tactica!
Thanks for the compliment!

As far as equipping Great Unclean Ones go, I would advise taking the Balesword for the Instant Death awesomeness, especially since so many armies are losing their access to reliable Eternal Warrior (including ours, but hey, gotta go with the flow) and taking Biomancy powers to augment the GUO's stats, rather than the Eternal Blade. Raising his Mastery Level is cheaper than a Hellforged Artifact, and has the potential to be much more powerful if you happen to get Iron Arm. It's random, I know, but better to have the chance at a Toughness 10 Eternal Warrior GUO than a guaranteed Toughness 7 that is slightly improved in close combat.

You can also acquire essentially the same buff as the EB provides through the debuff Miasma of Pestilence brings, and you have a decent shot at getting Miasma every time you roll on the Plague Discipline.
Check out my Chaos Daemons Tactica! I'm super proud of it :D

Whitewing

Post by Whitewing » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:33 pm

Marit Lage wrote:Strength six template weapons don't kill two bases of swarms anymore.
I can't believe I missed that! And I went over Nurglings for like 2 days too, trying to figure out their exact uses on the battlefield. With this in mind I would probably still not advise people to take them, since they can't really do anything useful on the battlefield besides potentially tying up enemy units, but it's good to know that they are a little tougher than I thought.

I've altered the Nurgling entry, and credited you with the change, Marit, thank you for pointing it out!

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:51 pm

Not a problem, Whitewing. Glad to see the finished tactica, though you should mention the fixed warlord trait on Kairos.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Whitewing

Post by Whitewing » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:02 pm

*facepalms* YES! Of course I should, I did for every other fixed warlord trait! I had... kinda mentioned it. In passing, in a list... but it really deserved mentioning in proper, as it is a real strength Fateweaver can bring to the battlefield.

Marit Lage
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:39 pm

It's the reason I bring Fateweaver, actually. Besides all the dakka.
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Elster-Daemon
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Elster-Daemon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:50 am

Unless I've read it wrong, the downside to phlegm on the soul grinders is that the harvester is then fired at snap shots?

Also you can only take half the three psyker powers from change, excess or plague the 3rd must come from the brb except fateweaver and his peculiarities.

Love the tactica though and it's made me rethink how I run some if my lists.

Whitewing

Post by Whitewing » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:19 am

Elster-Daemon wrote:Unless I've read it wrong, the downside to phlegm on the soul grinders is that the harvester is then fired at snap shots?

Also you can only take half the three psyker powers from change, excess or plague the 3rd must come from the brb except fateweaver and his peculiarities.

Love the tactica though and it's made me rethink how I run some if my lists.
Thanks for the comment, Elster! I'm glad I've been of some assistance.

Regarding your notes, I do mention the up-to-half thing in the Psychic Powers section. I did, however, derp up a little in the Lord of Change entry and suggest that you could take three powers from Change, though I did at least advise against doing so :P

I also completely forgot to mention the Ordnance factor of the Phlegm Cannon! This is a heinous error, as it's a huge part of the weapon, limiting your shooting options, true, but also giving you 2D6 choose-the-highest for armour penetration!

I made some adjustments, and credited you in the conclusion, thanks again!

Whitewing

Post by Whitewing » Sun May 25, 2014 10:40 am

I've been playing flat-out since 7th dropped, trying everything out and checking out the changes. I won't update the Tactica until the FAQ drops and we know exactly how some things turn out (like Horrors generating extra Warp Charges, which according to the WD will be replaced by them becoming Mastery Level 2 psykers at some breakpoint, and the Tzeentch +3 Ld thing).

My impressions so far:
  • Malefic Daemonology is very powerful, but limits your psykers in terms of what damage they can do themselves. That said, I'm absolutely loving using it, and have yet to finish a game with fewer models than I started with (I also have yet to lose a game in 7th :D).
    Burning Chariots work like they should have now. Good fast shooting unit, but very VERY fragile.
    Poisoned attacks got nerfed a little, since you no longer get the re-roll from it. This effects some Nurgle units a little, but not enough to completely alter my opinion on them.
    Grey Knights are the bane of TzeentchSummoner armies, as they can generate as many or more Warp Charges as we can.
    Khorne and Slaanesh Chariots can now be locked in combat and fight in challenges. Good for Khorne, not so good for Slaanesh who relied on those impact hits.
    Challenge rules changing effects our close combat MC's a lot. The fact that challenging doesn't protect the MC from being attacked by the squad hurts, but challenge wound overflow is well worth the change. On the other hand this gives us a reason to have MC's charge into existing melees and challenge there, as the unit can only target them after killing everything else.
    Re-rolling the Warlord Traits is amazing! I've had some of the best Warlord Trait rolls of my career thanks to this re-roll.
More to come as I continue to play games, and once the FAQ is out there will be some sweeping changes to the Tactica.

Strannix
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Strannix » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:52 am

Hello guys! "Daemon of Nurgle: Daemon, Hatred (Daemons of Tzeench), Shrouded, Slow and Purposeful special rules. In addition, units that are composed entirely of Daemons of Nurgle are treated as having defensive grenades." I'm interested in the last line. What does it mean? Is it about the full Detachment or about TROOPS, ELITES etc. choices, or only about one unit in the TROOPS, ELITES etc. choices?

Marit Lage

Post by Marit Lage » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:56 am

The units that have the Daemon of Nurgle special rule, amd only the units themselves.
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Whitewing

Post by Whitewing » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:01 am

And we're updated! If you notice anything I've forgotten to update, or any new rules interactions I've missed, please let me know!

Marit Lage

Re: Chaos Daemons Tactica: Updated for 7th Edition!

Post by Marit Lage » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:31 am

Daemonology has rendered the Portaglyph useless, and you said not instead of now for psychic powers for Tzeentch. I think Chaos Psychic Focus deserves a serious mention.
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Whitewing

Post by Whitewing » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:40 am

Marit Lage wrote:Daemonology has rendered the Portaglyph useless, and you said not instead of now for psychic powers for Tzeentch. I think Chaos Psychic Focus deserves a serious mention.
I disagree regarding the Portalglyph, it hasn't been reduced in any way, it just now has competition in the form of Conjuration powers, and I think it holds its own. It has the benefit of not requiring a Psychic test or Warp Charges, and it cannot be Denied. Yes, Conjuration powers are better, but also riskier, as a balance. They also require a heck of a lot more than 30 points devoted to them :D

I agree that I needed to make Chaos Focus stand out a little more, I had added a section on it to the Psychic Powers section, but I have now given it a heading to make it clearer where I talk about it.

And yes, I have come down on the Chaos Focus overriding Psychic Focus side of the fence, as I think that the argument is stronger for it. Hopefully we'll get an FAQ to clear the whole mess up at some point, but for now this is how I play it.

And thanks for pointing out the flub in Flickering Fire!

SanityJames
Silver Vault Member

Post by SanityJames » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:20 am

Just noticed something concerning your post for Daemon Princes of Nurgle. In 7th edition flying monstrous creatures now have the Jink special rule, regardless of their flight mode. This combined with shrouded provides a 2+ cover save out in the open as long as you aren't planning on shooting. Its something I stumbled onto in a recent game.

Whitewing

Post by Whitewing » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:07 am

SanityJames wrote:Just noticed something concerning your post for Daemon Princes of Nurgle. In 7th edition flying monstrous creatures now have the Jink special rule, regardless of their flight mode. This combined with shrouded provides a 2+ cover save out in the open as long as you aren't planning on shooting. Its something I stumbled onto in a recent game.
Thanks James! I don't know how I missed this, I've been playing my Nurgle Princes wrong for weeks!

Return to “Forces of Chaos”