Chosen, what are they good for?

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
Nexus_Crawler
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Chosen, what are they good for?

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:39 pm

Chosen can be pretty neat CC pigs too. Expensive, but the fluff works.
--Necrons, Dark Angels--
--Connoisseur of fine Cheese--

Solomongrundy
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Solomongrundy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:57 pm

You do need 6 guys for 5 special weapons. The Champ can only take a combi weapon

Euthaniser
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Euthaniser » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:58 pm

Solomongrundy wrote:You do need 6 guys for 5 special weapons. The Champ can only take a combi weapon
The upgrade rules read first "up to four 'models' may choose one of the following four options:"
-The champion is a model in the unit and can take one of the weapons.
-The entry then goes on to mention "one chosen" may take another weapon.
(pg. 96)

This is the reason I said you can have 5 bro's with 5 guns. It was the same in the last book as well.
If there is a flaw or something I've missed let me know, because army builder will allow you to take 5 plasmas with 5 guys.
I hate last stands, there's never time to practice them.

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:47 am

I know you can have 5 guys with 5 guns but I find the champion useful as an extra wound and such.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Devedor
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Devedor » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:30 pm

Solomongrundy wrote:The upgrade rules read first "up to four 'models' may choose one of the following four options:"
-The champion is a model in the unit and can take one of the weapons.
-The entry then goes on to mention "one chosen" may take another weapon.
(pg. 96)
Unfortunately this is not the case. Each champion in the Chaos Space marine book technically cannot take the weapons the unit can. Ex: Noise marines can take sonic blasters, but the Noise champion cannot. IIRC the Chosen champion is called the chosen champion specifically, and so cannot take the upgrades the regular chosen can. It's the same case with Havocs, Raptors, and plague marines, so I doubt it would be different for them.

So you would be stuck with the champions combi-weapon, or melee weapon, rather than being able to give them a plasma gun.

I wish it were the case that you could give them a plasma gun, but RaW states that you cant. I haven't checked the FAQ recently, but unless it's been updated in the past month, you have to take a squad of 6 guys for 5 plasma.
Never knows best

My Plog! http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 30&t=74994

Epic Duck Mike: Tausept Ochre and Iyanden Darksun are like cheatcodes for Yellow.
Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start Select Tausept Ochre

Zeruel13
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Zeruel13 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:41 pm

Devedor wrote:Unfortunately this is not the case. Each champion in the Chaos Space marine book technically cannot take the weapons the unit can. Ex: Noise marines can take sonic blasters, but the Noise champion cannot. IIRC the Chosen champion is called the chosen champion specifically, and so cannot take the upgrades the regular chosen can. It's the same case with Havocs, Raptors, and plague marines, so I doubt it would be different for them.

So you would be stuck with the champions combi-weapon, or melee weapon, rather than being able to give them a plasma gun.

I wish it were the case that you could give them a plasma gun, but RaW states that you cant. I haven't checked the FAQ recently, but unless it's been updated in the past month, you have to take a squad of 6 guys for 5 plasma.
You happen to be incorrect. The first option is up to four "models". It doesn't specify Chosen or Chosen Champion. Noise Champions can't take sonic blasters because the option says "Noise Marines". It specifically states one type of model in the unit unlike Chosen which does not. Now in a unit of Chosen the champion can't take a heavy weapon because that option specifically says a "Chosen" may.

Devedor
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Devedor » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:49 pm

Huh, I may have to run some chosen then. And by run I mean spam eletes. :twisted: 2500 double force org would be mean.
Never knows best

My Plog! http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 30&t=74994

Epic Duck Mike: Tausept Ochre and Iyanden Darksun are like cheatcodes for Yellow.
Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start Select Tausept Ochre

Marit Lage
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:21 pm

Why not as troops at 2500 points?
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Necrons 4eva
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Necrons 4eva » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:56 am

Yeah, Abadon+chosen=awesome
Necrons, Resocakh dynasty.
6255 WYSIWYG almost all painted

Chaos Space Marines, 2nd legion
~7000 WYSIWYG half painted

"It isn't the army, its the player."

"Plans are nothing, planning is everything."

DrBored
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #9Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by DrBored » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:30 pm

Go and calculate how many points that would take.

Then come back and tell me how awesome it would be.

Granted, you could save a few points by using the Black Legion rules, but once you give VotLW to everyone, you might as well just take Abaddon instead.

Marit Lage
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:01 pm

Abaddon is 265 points. 6 Chosen with five plasma guns is 233 points. You could play Abaddon, 35 Chaos Cultists, and four groups of Chosen, and still only be at 1,350 points. You tell me how awesome that is.
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Arnathos
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:01 pm

how are you at 233 points with 6 chosen with 5 plasma guns? Even with VotLW, and a rhino on top I'm at 230, do you add in a combi bolter for the champ? with 4 units of chosen that's almost 50 points wasted on VotLW, but scoring is kinda cool I guess.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Marit Lage

Post by Marit Lage » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:19 pm

No Veterans, power sword on the Champion.
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:22 pm

Ah, that works out then. I tend to run mine nekkid, he killed a carnifex that had 2 wounds left and FnP with his bolter once. He also got stomped, blown up, shredded, shot and tripped over a rock and died once as well.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Marit Lage

Post by Marit Lage » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:32 pm

Sounds like what happens to the Cultist Champion in Abaddon's unit every game. Poor Bob. He never stood a chance.
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians