Chosen, what are they good for?

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
Kiba
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Chosen, what are they good for?

Post by Kiba » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:39 am

Hi all
Ive recently got into chaos, and first off i want to say I'm already hooked. But with me being a noob I'm having a hard timr rapping my head around chosen. I mean sure having regular space marines with power weapons seens really cool, but at the end of the day they are just that, REGULAR CSM with power weapons. Now maby they are a good unit and i just can't see it (possible because im taking out my rage at how biases dark vengeance was towrds DA)
So if you guys have effective ways to use them, or I'm just missing something, please let me know.

Solomongrundy
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Chosen, what are they good for?

Post by Solomongrundy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:46 am

They are really only good because they can take 5 special weapons (melta, plasma, flamer) in a squad of 6. Regular CSM needs 10 man squad for 2 special weapons. They also become troop choices if you bring Abaddon the Despoiler. Its not really worth the points to load them out for melee, there are better choices in the codex. Also the only models right now for Chosen are from Dark Vengeance and they look cool, but the load out they are made from isn't that good. If you want to go with Chosen I would suggest making your own from other bits or getting the Dark Vengeance ones and cutting them up and piecing them together.

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:55 am

Because they can take five plasma guns and unleash plasma death on anything that gets within two feet.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Arnathos
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:02 am

Marit Lage wrote:Because they can take five plasma guns and unleash plasma death on anything that gets within two feet.
^This.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Kiba
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Kiba » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:24 am

Solomongrundy wrote:They are really only good because they can take 5 special weapons (melta, plasma, flamer) in a squad of 6. Regular CSM needs 10 man squad for 2 special weapons.
This i did not know, i guess i saw them in the dark vengeance set with all there close combat weapons and automatically thought that what they are good at. (getting pownd by termies)
I guess loading them up with plasmas or metas would make them more effective. I still don't like them though.

Kiba
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Kiba » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:25 am

Meltas*

Marit Lage
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:20 pm

Kiba, I frequently use Chosen in my army lists, often paired with Abaddon the Despoiler. Chosen with plasma guns are extremely effective at killing any and all monstrous creatures, infantry, and even light to medium vehicles.

If you're still not convinced, try reading what I wrote about them in the Chaos Space Marine tactica that I wrote.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Arnathos
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:25 pm

I have to agree with Marit, my squad of 6 chosen with 5 plasma guns has usually served me well. Mine can't blow up anything with an armour value to save their life, but they do excellent vs any kind of infantry and monstrous creatures, the latter is something our army often struggles with.

One of my favorite things about the unit is, that despite being a shooting unit, that they still come with 3 attacks each when the enemy charges them, this is something most people don't expect and I've had my chosen win a fair few close combats.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Sandviper
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Sandviper » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:33 am

Do you usually only field one unit of chosen?

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:45 am

Yes, mostly because I don't have more than 1 unit of them, model wise, but also because while 200ish points for 6 dudes with 5 plasma guns is a steal, it still takes up points, I generally play 1500 points and don't have the luxury of fielding multiple units, as they are not scoring due to me playing word bearers.

If your playing black legion/using abbadon though... Plasma, Plasma everywhere!
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

zenmonkey
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by zenmonkey » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:07 am

That would be ridiculous, I never though of that.
'Brothers! Welcome to the feast! Tell me, which among you will be the first course?'
-Lucius The Eternal

DrBored
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #9Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by DrBored » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:38 am

I thought about trying a big expensive Chosen mob with plenty of power weapons, maybe even a group of nothing but Power Fists and some manner of mark/icon combo to make them deadly, but they're just too expensive.

Cheap squad with plasma is probably the best. Never had any use for a Flamer in the entirety of the Chaos Codex, save the Baleflamer and Burning Brand.

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:21 pm

One of the local Chaos players once ran a unit of 6 or 7 chosen, with 4+1 power lances, mark of Khorne and an Icon of Wrath, now this is obviously terribly ineffective, not to mention totally dumb fluff wise, but 25 S6 AP3 attacks on the charge is quite funny.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

DrBored
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #9Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by DrBored » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:29 pm

Arnathos wrote:One of the local Chaos players once ran a unit of 6 or 7 chosen, with 4+1 power lances, mark of Khorne and an Icon of Wrath, now this is obviously terribly ineffective, not to mention totally dumb fluff wise, but 25 S6 AP3 attacks on the charge is quite funny.
Heck, load that up in a Land Raider to guarantee the charge and you've got yourself a decent bash in the face to any power armor squad. The trouble is making its points back.

Euthaniser
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Euthaniser » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:20 pm

Just to clarify you don't need 6 chosen to take 5 guns.
I hate last stands, there's never time to practice them.