Army Builder

The ideal discussion board for all traitors, heretics, and the warp-spawned Daemons.
ballzonya
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Army Builder

Post by ballzonya » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:16 pm

is this worth it? I like the idea of having this cause I do it by hand on a peice of paper..what do you think should i download it?

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Army Builder

Post by Arnathos » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:21 pm

I've never seen the point in it, a piece of paper or even MS word, or a rich text document work fine tbh.

Get a calculator if you have trouble with the math, easy as pie.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

rick4937
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by rick4937 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:54 pm

Army builder is worth every penny. It's so awesome it defies words. Of course, one could always create a spreadsheet or just write things down, but you could also ride a horse to work or use whale oil lanterns. Army builder makes creating an army stunningly easy, it contains all necessary stats, and lets you endlessly tweak armies as you see fit. I've made literally dozens of armies. Additionally, it prints out your army in a nifty, clean PDF that includes all necessary rules and stats. It's amazing. Use it.

Solomongrundy
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Solomongrundy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:46 pm

I just created my own excel spreadsheet for my army points. Works just fine.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:55 pm

+1 Army Builder. I build army lists with it like people play videa games!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Bigfi
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Bigfi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:17 pm

i'm cheap so i run demo mode and do three units at a time.
fool me once shame on me, fool me twice... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
Cryx, Circle, CSM, and BA armies

imperialork3

Post by imperialork3 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:43 pm

Get battlescribe, it's free and pretty simple, google iT

Love the program, you can even get it for iPods,etc
"Someone who is smart learns from their mistakes, but the smarter man learns from the mistakes of others"

Whitewing

Post by Whitewing » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:34 pm

Battlescribe.

Get it here: http://www.battlescribe.net/

You need to find army list files (catalogues) that others have built online, the Battlescribe does not provide them. Alternatively you can make one yourself using the Battlescribe editor, but this is a tedious and lengthy process (I should know, I've written 2).

If you go to the Catalogue (http://catalogue.randomhit.org/) and join that forum you can find data repositories for the catalogues used in Battlescribe.

Okay, all the requisite setup dealt with, I find it's a great program, absolutely free, with a lot of useful abilities, the only downside being that it uses community created army files, which can sometimes have errors in them. Incorrect points cost for Hellbrutes, for example.
Check out my Chaos Daemons Tactica! I'm super proud of it :D

Todda
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Todda » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:43 pm

Yes it is worth it. Not only for making your own armies, but if you want to check out stuff in other people's armies. They have enough of the rules in there to get an idea if they built their army right and did all the rules right without having to go get their codex.

Plus a lot of places actually encourage using Army Builder for tournament lists.
I made the move to professionally painting 3 years ago. I paint a good mix between speed and quality. This keeps prices low, like a typical 2K 40k army is under $500.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

BewareOfTom
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by BewareOfTom » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:44 pm

Dez wrote:+1 Army Builder. I build army lists with it like people play videa games!
this!!
I have half a mind to kill you, and the other half agrees

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

Wolfheart999
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Wolfheart999 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:05 pm

Has army builder been updated for 6th and the new codexes??

Zeruel13

Post by Zeruel13 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:14 pm

I never saw much point in Army Builder. I find it just as easy if not easier to just punch some numbers into a calculator. Not only that but I know people who do use it and I just find their print out army lists confusing and cluttered. It lists so many things it does not need to and the organization of it seems scattered and pointless. Any time someone hands me an army builder army list I just hand it right back and say I'll take their word for it.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:28 pm

That's because they don't know how to use the built in formatting tools.

Yup, updated to 6e and CSM is in it.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Zeruel13

Post by Zeruel13 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:31 pm

My other issue is I'm kind of a walking encyclopaedia of 40K. I don't need a codex to make a list, got it all up top (for most armies too). I buy every codex and read through them pretty comprehensively. That does probably jade my view on it.
Whitewing wrote:Battlescribe.

Get it here: http://www.battlescribe.net/
Downloaded this and played around with it a for a few minutes. I find it way more counter-intuitive that simply doing my list in Word or Excel. That and I already found a mistake in the army list for Chaos Marines while doing the first squad, though I guess that's to be expected as it is just fan made lists.

imperialork3

Post by imperialork3 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:06 am

I prefer using exel ect. As well but when Im starting a new army and don't know much it's useful
"Someone who is smart learns from their mistakes, but the smarter man learns from the mistakes of others"