starting space wolve

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
Sierk
MiniWarGaming Beginner

starting space wolve

Post by Sierk » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:02 am

Hey! I am making a necron army at the moment but dont really like the feel :(. Im in a deadlock between making a space wolve army vs. a chaos space marine army. Any tips on how to start my space wolve army or which army i should choose are much appreciated. For my space wolf army i want a thunderwolf calvalry based list with alot of long ranged fire support following behind.

BewareOfTom
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: starting space wolve

Post by BewareOfTom » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:16 am

why not make a 13th company space wolves? (chaos space wolves)
I have half a mind to kill you, and the other half agrees

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

TheAurgelmir
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by TheAurgelmir » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:03 am

BewareOfTom wrote:why not make a 13th company space wolves? (chaos space wolves)
They are not Chaos Space Wolves though. Second last I checked there isn't really any rules for them anymore.

Rumor has it that Chaos is getting a new Codex this year, so if you want them I suggest waiting since no one really know what they will get. (The rumors are quite big, and it seems to be a lot of changes on the way)

As for Space Wolves:

ThunderWolves + Long Fangs with Missile Launchers and Las/Plas Razorbacks is quite powerful. But you need to flesh it out with some Gray Hunters (which are also awesome)

To be honest I would not make an army that rely on the ThunderWolves. They cost a lot, and even though they kill a lot they aren't immortal.

I have run a pretty Successful list of based on:

3x 10 Gray Hunter Squads with all the upgrades (Meltas) in Rhinos
3x Longfangs with 5 Missile Launchers and Razorbacks
4 Thunderwolves with different gear for wound allocation shenanigans

I strongly advise against more than 5 thunder wolves, although I have never tried running more units, because the point values will get way to high.

joevmt
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by joevmt » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:49 pm

BewareOfTom wrote:why not make a 13th company space wolves? (chaos space wolves)
This is a good idea. What you need to do here is just paint your wolves/chaos with a color scheme that satisfied both armies. I did this by paining my marines mostly grey with one arm and leg being scrab red (GW changed the name of their paint so good luck finding it) What it accomplished was I had a space wolves army that looked chaotic. Most people said "Why don't you just play chaos as well?" :lol:

I don't know much about Chaos though, but I can help you on Space Wolves. What I find lacking in a thunder wolves list is the amount of fire power needed to take down Armor 14. I have had numerous games were by grey hunters and long fangs got shot to pieces by turn 2 and the TWMs were the only thing left. They pack a hugh punch and are super tough (took 3 rounds of a whole army of IG shooting to kill just 5!!) I suggest something like this for a 1,750 point game.

1 TWM Lord with Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Sage of the Hunter
4 TW Cavalry with different gear
1 Rune priest with chooser of the slain and living lighting+ Jaws of the Wolves or 5 Scouts with melta and melta bomb
3 Wolf guard with melta+Powerfist
1X8 Grey hunter squad with melta
2x5 Grey Hunter squad with melta in Las/Plas Razorback
2 Long fang with 4 missiles and 1 las cannon. plasma cannon with TL Las/Plas Razorback

I am not sure how many points that actually is. This list was created just from the top of my head and I just woke up :shock: It is meant to just be a guide line but looking at the list myself, I am thinking "This is even better than my tournament list :cry: Why didn't I use this one!!"
Check out: My Youtube Channel
- Fear thy Jaw, Fear thy howl, Fear thy blade -

SonsofRuss
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by SonsofRuss » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:19 am

so i have the 13th company rules and they are pretty intense and not updated at all. my wolves are all just grey and they look pretty good.
Look after yourself today- you still owe me two flagons from our last arm wrestling match. It would be just like you to get yourself killed to avoid paying your debts.

Space Wolves 8000+ pts

Sierk
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Sierk » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:28 am

I think im going to do that 13th company thing it sounds pretty cool. Would the battle force be a pretty good start for what im going for fluff wise and gameplay wise?

max_dammit
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by max_dammit » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:29 am

13th are not CHAOS, they are the opposite if anything, living in the eye for so long and still not tainted :x

BewareOfTom

Post by BewareOfTom » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:48 am

really? I thought they were chaos... but I guess wearing all that chaos armour could throw a guy XD

but yeah, battleforce should do well, maybe sell off that pod though.... also I hear using a few razorbacks is a good idea... do you have the codex? maybe make a few lists we could tweak it with you :P

- Engelbart Kappa

TheAurgelmir
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by TheAurgelmir » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:26 am

BewareOfTom wrote:really? I thought they were chaos... but I guess wearing all that chaos armour could throw a guy XD

but yeah, battleforce should do well, maybe sell off that pod though.... also I hear using a few razorbacks is a good idea... do you have the codex? maybe make a few lists we could tweak it with you :P
Well the 13th Company is two things:

One: The group that Russ lead into the Eye of Terror to hunt Chaos. So no one really know if they are alive or not. I wasn't even aware they used chaos armor, most 13th company I have seen have just been gray marines.

Two: The 13th is a name for any fallen company, and the term "To join the 13th" is a term for dying among Space wolves.

BewareOfTom

Post by BewareOfTom » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:58 am

yeah here are a few:

grey hunters:

bloodclaws:

I think (IIR the fluff correctly) its because they dont have access to normal marine armour when theirs breaks so they need to loot chaos armour

EDIT: or go dornian heresy :P

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/here ... heresy.pdf

(page 58)

- Engelbart Kappa

max_dammit
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by max_dammit » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:26 pm

there called stormclaws and grayslayers.

The chaos armour is
1) pre heresy armour (went in to the eye right after Horrus got killed and the where not lead in there by Russ.

2) being in the warp fighting without going to Fenris runs your armory dry so if you lose a helmet you go out and kill a traitor marine to get one back, so most armour is "borrowed".

balangaz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by balangaz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:00 pm

The eye of the terror codex also had a whole unit of Mark of the Wolven marines, apparently the warp helped the 'evolution'.

The way i'm doing my 13th company is using Chaos Knights bodies with bolters and bolt pistols instead of CCW for Grey Hunters, normal space wolf pack for blood claws and painting a few pieces dark red, like the painting guide on the codex above said they would have.

And yes, they take the armor because they can't get new one. The codex said that a good mix of 50% CSM and SW bits are a good thing for the 13th company.
Oi, ya git! Get ya lazy arse roight into our Group Builds! Be da best Mek and loot all da pieces!

SonsofRuss
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by SonsofRuss » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:38 pm

if you read the space wolf novels, ragnar comes across the 13th company when he goes into the warp and they are still kickin butt and taken names. the 13th company is the most effected by the canis helix, thats why there are so many wolves and the wulfen in the company. if you want a 13th company you need lots of wolves. the 13th company has always had the wulfen in the army. if you have a club that is okay with you running the 13th company that would be cool but you really cant run much anything but wolf lord, rune priest, wolf priest, grey slayers, wulfen packs, storm claws, long fangs, storm claw bikes and wolves. so you really cant run any vehicles. i have almost enough wulfen models to make just 1 pack and its a lot of money. but you can just paint your wolves up to look like the 13th company cause hey its your army. just like tom said said the battle force would be good and then you can sell or trade the drop pod and scouts.\ or just use them in a regular space wolf army.
Look after yourself today- you still owe me two flagons from our last arm wrestling match. It would be just like you to get yourself killed to avoid paying your debts.

Space Wolves 8000+ pts

Sierk
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Sierk » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:22 am

I actually really like scouts there one of my favorite space marine units and no i dont have the space wolves codex yet sadly but im picking up one soon, i was supposed to get it today but i left my wallet at home :( . If you guys could post a few of your regular lists to help figure out what exactly to put in my army that would be great or just post a link to the list. 13th company sounds great because im not the biggest fan of vehicles. Wolves sound very intimidating to be looking at a field full of them.

joevmt
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by joevmt » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:28 pm

Sierk wrote:I actually really like scouts there one of my favorite space marine units and no i dont have the space wolves codex yet sadly but im picking up one soon, i was supposed to get it today but i left my wallet at home :( . If you guys could post a few of your regular lists to help figure out what exactly to put in my army that would be great or just post a link to the list. 13th company sounds great because im not the biggest fan of vehicles. Wolves sound very intimidating to be looking at a field full of them.
Space Wolves scouts are the best, in my opinion. Their "behind enemy lines" rule makes them a pain to deal with when against a gun line list. I generally used to kit them as so,
5 Scouts
1 melta gun
5 melta bombs
Wolf Guard with Combi melta and power fist
People say you should run at least 2 units of them to be effective but that is entirely up to you. Having a thunder wolf cavalry staring you in the face while scouts poke you in the butt is a scary concept for any army :mrgreen:

While list wise, it depends on how many points you are planing to play in. I guess having 2,000 points worth of any army is enough to play and create a variety of lists. If you don't like vehicles, then maybe an army that looks something like this:
Wolf guard battle leader on Thunder Wolf Mount, Storm Shield and Thunder Hammer with Wolf tooth necklace and wolf tail talisman with saga of the hunter/beasts slayer and 2 fenrisian wolves
200 Points

Rune priest with runic armor, Chooser of the Slain, Psychic powers = Living Lightening and Jaws of the Wolves
130 Points

2x Wolf Scouts Pack (5 models), all melta bombs, meltagun
220 Points (110 points each)

1x Wolf Guard Pack (5 models), 4 combi melta, 4 Power fist, 1 terminator with cyclone
235 points

2X Grey Hunter Pack (9 models), Melta gun, Drop Pod
350 Points (175 Points each)

1x Grey Hunter Pack (5 models)
75 points

3x Thunder Wolves Calvary (3 models), 2 stom shields, 1 thunder hammer, 1 melta bomb
735 points(245 points each)

Total 1,945/2,000
You could also remove 1 squad of thunder wolves to add another lord or wolf guard battle leader.

Hope this is helpful ;)
Check out: My Youtube Channel
- Fear thy Jaw, Fear thy howl, Fear thy blade -

Return to “Imperium”