Custom Chapter Guidelines

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
LoneHero2008
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Custom Chapter Guidelines

Post by LoneHero2008 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:17 pm

I've made a lot of Custom Chapters, mostly for lore purposes as I love writing fan fiction. I posted six guidelines on another thread but figured that it would be nice to have a thread for these, so people can add more guidelines and discuss the ones already on the list. Any guidelines, that are posted by other people, that I particularly like or show a majority of approval, I'll add to the master list which will be in this post. Bellow I posted the original six guidelines, as well as more 'detailed' guidelines that I personally use.

The Guidelines:
1.Your fluff is an extension of something written by another person.
-Keep in mind your are simply adding your own chapter (book, not space marine) to a greater and bigger story. If your fluff cannot stand with official fluff then change it until it does. You NEVER want something that will break the fluff belonging to the faction you have chosen to write your own fluff for.

2. NEVER try and force the Warhammer 40k universe to bend to your fluff.
-I've seen this done a lot, where people want something so bad in their army's fluff that they try and bend the fluff of the Warhammer 40k universe or even rewrite it all together just so they could make something to fit. This ties into number one.

3. What are the greatest victories of your chapter?
-Have they been on important crusades? What are their fiercest battles? What enemies are they use to fighting the most? These are all questions that you need to answer.

4. Who stands out amongst your chapter?
-What mighty heroes does your chapter have and why are they heroes? What has your Chapter Master done to prove himself as an incredible leader? These are things to keep in mind. Remember, even a Scout could become a hero amongst the Space Marines.

5. What elements of their founding chapter have carried over to your chapter?
-Your geneseed originaly comes from the geneseed of your founding chapter as well. Traits are often carried over through these geneseeds. Even the tactics and methods of battle used by your chapter may have originally been learned from your founding chapter. Space Marines can be thousands of years old, so some may even remember times before your chapter came to be.

6. What Codex do you plan on using?
-Looking into the Codex you plan on using for your army can give you ideas on your own fluff. Remember that every Codex comes with fluff for that army as well as their unit information.

7. What type of Chapter are you going for?
-Has your Chapter fallen to Chaos before or have they remained somewhat pure? Do they specialize in close ranged or long ranged combat? Is your chapter fleet based, if so then why? Have they lost their homeworld? Do they specialize in combating Tau, Orks, Eldar or even Chaos? Are cloaks, robes or other additions to their Power Armor common amongst the Marines in your chapter? All of these are good questions to answer.

8. Heraldry and Colors BEFORE name.
-Normally, I choose Heraldry for my Chapters before the names. It's nice to come up with a colorscheme and the chapter's heraldry and symbols before coming up with a name. You'll find your chapter's name and appearance may prove to be interesting or unique following this method. A good example of this is how I came up with the name for my Blood Templars Chapter. I started with the Iron Cross as their symbol, and then I decided they would have a dark red color, like blood. So the scheme was Chaos Black shoulders, with Red Gore as the main color on the Marines. Due to their blood color and the fact they shared their symbol with the Black Templars, I chose Blood Templars as the Chapter's name.

9. Stand Out.
-There are a lot of things connected to the Space Marines that have little to no fluff covering them. Chapters created by Games Workshop sometimes have little more than a planet giving away their background. Another thing to look into is the two Lost Primarchs. Another interesting idea is having your Chapter originally have been part of a traitor legion during the time of the Horus Heresy or even sometime after. There are a lot of posisbilities when coming up with a unique background for your chapter. The less your Chapter sounds like another one, the more interest you may get in the chapter. The more interest in your fan chapter can often result in you doing more work with them.

10. RELICS.
-What artifacts or relics does your chapter hold? Are you like the Blood Ravens and 'borrow' things from other chapters? Is their a particular heavy bolter in your armoury that has been blessed after a veracious battle, or maybe your Chapter has power armour dating back to before the Horus Heresy? Keep these in mind when coming up with relics and artifacts your chapter holds within their armoury, as well as who is allowed to use these weapons or powerarmour.
Space Orks - Big Mek Azak Mostdakka's Warband - About 470 Points
Space Marines - Blood Ravens - 500 Points even
Wins: 8
Loses: 15
Draws: 3

Bjorn
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Custom Chapter Guidelines

Post by Bjorn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:32 pm

No offense, but I swear I saw these on Bolter and Chainsword a while ago. Maybe not, but weird.
Gott mit uns

BewareOfTom
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by BewareOfTom » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:37 pm

I've seen a few of these, this is actually one of the better ones though
I have half a mind to kill you, and the other half agrees

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

Falcon
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Falcon » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:58 pm

commando_jim wrote:No offense, but I swear I saw these on Bolter and Chainsword a while ago. Maybe not, but weird.
yeah this one is similar but not quite the same. I agree with BewareOfTom, this is better. I've seen a lot where there are a heap of "guidelines" like two dozen in one that I've seen. But this has rolled it all into 10 simple guidelines which has already made it better.
'Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. But those who understand realise that you have no right to let them live.'
-In Exterminatus Extremis

LoneHero2008
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by LoneHero2008 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:53 am

commando_jim wrote:No offense, but I swear I saw these on Bolter and Chainsword a while ago. Maybe not, but weird.
None taken.

I've never been to Bolter and Chainsword, beyond using their space marine painter/planner thing.
Space Orks - Big Mek Azak Mostdakka's Warband - About 470 Points
Space Marines - Blood Ravens - 500 Points even
Wins: 8
Loses: 15
Draws: 3

Bjorn
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Bjorn » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:57 am

I'm probably just confusing it with some other stuff I saw.
Gott mit uns

Falcon
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Falcon » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:23 pm

There are a lot of them.
'Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. But those who understand realise that you have no right to let them live.'
-In Exterminatus Extremis