Space Marine Scouts

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
Thrakka
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Space Marine Scouts

Post by Thrakka » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:20 pm

I was wondering... how effective are scouts? I fail to see them as something worth taking in a game. Sure the infiltrate and scouts rules are good, but what real advantage would they have in a game type with out objectives?
Orkz is made fer Fightin' an Winnin'

Don't eat the funguy.

Chief
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Re: Space Marine Scouts

Post by Chief » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:32 pm

Advantages
- Infiltrate
- Scouts
- Pinning (snipers are most common)
- Can get stealth (w/Tellion or Cloaks)

Disadvantages
- 4+ save
- not very killy

They're hard to kill with long ranged fire and can be quite the irritant to your opponent. Use Scouts to manipulate your opponent's movement, hopefully opening them up to your big gunz or delaying your opponent a turn or two for the rest of your army to work it's magic. As you have noted, they are purely a support unit, and not much will die by their hands

stav1369
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by stav1369 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:14 am

Thrakka wrote:I was wondering... how effective are scouts? I fail to see them as something worth taking in a game. Sure the infiltrate and scouts rules are good, but what real advantage would they have in a game type with out objectives?
Scouts are great.

I play a 6 man scout squad. 5 snipers and 1 missile launcher.
This squad is quite effective in killing Monstrous Creatures (Snipers always wound on a 4+ and can rend to give them AP2 as well as krak missle has good odds of wounding every firing cycle). It also is not bad at taking out light armor AV 10-11.
And the whole squad is quiet cheap.

Combat scouts are nothing to snear at either.
5 pistol and ccw equiped scouts pump out 16 hits on the assualt at str 4....that's better then your 5 man combat squad of Tacticals for far less the cost.
( and the SGT can be upgraded with Power weps etc just like any other SGT from other squads)

I think Scouts are good value for money additions to SM armies and can be very effective when used correctly.

1 Strat is to run a sniper squad with cloak and put them in cover. They have a 3+ save their. Now run a Tech-marine and boost the save on their cover and they now have a 2+ cover save which is godly.

Also i like playing Landspeeder storms which when used with combat scouts are an effective combination.
Last edited by stav1369 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Digilante
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Digilante » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:37 am

I only ever use scouts as objecive sitters, and then pretty much only when I can't squeeze in the 165 points for another tactical combat squad in Lasmaback. at 90 point for 5 men + snipers + cloaks they're cheap and scoring, so that's how I use 'em. On occasion I've been known to take 5 man + ML + telion (135 points), but usually just for fun since I like the Telion model. For the same cost a combat squad of tactical marines in a heavy bolter razorback does better in my army.

Countryrobin
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by Countryrobin » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:10 pm

this could just be luck of the dice but I had my scouts hold up and kill a squad of banshes in assualt before but i only had one soul surviver after that battle
"Do not go where there is a path, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.".

demarcosg
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by demarcosg » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:13 pm

heres an interesting way to use scouts to take out vehicles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SERbjnkNl8

Thrakka
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Thrakka » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:41 am

Thanks alot guys! You have renewed my faith in scouts.

Don't eat the funguy.

stav1369
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by stav1369 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:08 am

demarcosg wrote:heres an interesting way to use scouts to take out vehicles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SERbjnkNl8
stav1369 wrote:
Thrakka wrote:I was wondering... how effective are scouts? I fail to see them as something worth taking in a game. Sure the infiltrate and scouts rules are good, but what real advantage would they have in a game type with out objectives?

Also i like playing Landspeeder storms which when used with combat scouts are an effective combination.

exactly what i been trying to say :)

even if u don't get turn 1 either use blos areas on the map to get it close for your turn or outflank it.
With a 12 inch move +2 inch disembark +6 inch assualt on a outflank its going to do some dmg.

I personally like to take the heavy flamer b/c i don't have to worry about the inferior BS of scouts as well as its great for taking out troops in cover while the scouts charge the vehicle in a similar fashion of the vid.

Thrakka
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Thrakka » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:05 am

Woot! Two scouts squads just came in yesterday. Gonna make them real quick and field them with your guys advice in mind. Thanks again!

Too bad I couldn't get a land speeder to try out that Youtube tactic.

Don't eat the funguy.

Korsarro-Khan
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Korsarro-Khan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:46 pm

depends what SM army you have, in the regular codex, scouts have relatively poor BS, however in the dark angels codex, scouts have the same BS as regular marines, making them much more accurate at shooting

vertigo116
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by vertigo116 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:15 pm

I have 2 squads of scouts. (1 I am currently finishing up).
The 1st Squad
4 Snipers +Cloaks
1 Rocket Scout

The squad in the works:
4 Shotguns (Shotguns I believe will be great for assault and light troops, Tyranids, Imperial Guard Catachan, and Eldar).
1 Heavy Bolter
And I might give a locator beacon, or something else.
After all I got a land speeder to deep strike and I want pinpoint accuracy :D
1. Space Marines Blood Angels 800+ (slow painter)
2. Tyranids 650+ (need place to spraypaint)
3. Enemy intelligence GROWING (THANKS TO THIS SITE)
MUHUHULAAAAAAAAAA

Master8laster
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Master8laster » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:46 pm

I run a 10 man scouts squad all snipers with one missile launcher upgrade. Relatively cheap and effective.

I split them into combat squads of 5 each.

I infiltrate and scout move into position and let the bodies hit the floor....as they say.

Even if they don't even actually kill anything they provide a heckuva distraction and often give me that crucial turn with my other forces.

I have had mixed result using them for vehicle and infantry assaults. Mostly good though, at least in regards to the points cost.
There are moments when the hamster turns the wheel in correct direction.

DAKKA FURST! ask kwestchuns lata...

Thrakka
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Thrakka » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:53 pm

With my new squads I plan on running a boltgun squad, shotgun squad and Combat blade squad. I think I will attach the combat blade and Shotgun squad together and just split them up and make them into combat squads at the beginning of the game.

Don't eat the funguy.