sangiunary guard

Talk about all the armies of the Imperium here, from the mighty Space Marines to the innumerable Astra Militarum.
blacktiger
MiniWarGaming Zealot

sangiunary guard

Post by blacktiger » Sat May 08, 2010 9:22 pm

well i know that some people dont think that sang guard are very good but i had two battles today with them and would like to say they are very good.

my squad had Dante, librarian(shield of sang, blood lance), 5sang guard w/ 1 infernos pistol and death masks and banner. (610pts)

first game my squad came down and blew up a land raider, 3rd turn assaulted tac squad and killed them, 4th turn ate another tac squad and last turn flew over to capture an objective and win the game

second game came down blew up BT ven dred and proceeded to kill two crusader squads(not full, maybe 10) and an assault squad.

i would like to know from the community of experiences playing against or with Sang guard and how did they do. i know that some people think they suck because of no invul save but i kind of fixed that with shield of sang. just want anyones thoughts on this
Last edited by blacktiger on Sun May 09, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
REMEMBER, if the world didn't suck, we would all float into space

donnyb
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: sangiunary guard

Post by donnyb » Sun May 09, 2010 2:15 am

I'm planning on trying them later today. Problem is at 1500 points it is far too expensive to give them all infernus pistols, masks and a banner. I can only squeeze in two pistols.

:|

aetos
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Location: God's own, Land of the Long white cloud, land Of the Sheep Shaggers, NZ!

Post by aetos » Sun May 09, 2010 7:03 am

Just because you killed so much, doesn't mean they are worth it. If you calculated the amount of points that unit killed, It would some nowhere near as much as the 610 points you paid for it.

plus, when they get hit by something too hard to crack first turn, they are going to get munched, because they rely on momentum, not only because of charging, but because psychologically, they will head your army up, into the fight. when your opponent stops that momentum unit, they have a great chance of stopping your entire army in it's tracks and gaining a foothold over you. It would only take something like a squad of 7 plague marines in a rhino, with a power fist champ to stop that unit dead in its tracks. 610 =/= to the >300 to take that squad
'Breaking a broken army even further, priceless'-exodusofman

>> 'I would love for you to explain these tactics.' --fredbob524
'Uh, He just did.' -- Smurfyk <<

MrMcOwnage
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by MrMcOwnage » Sun May 09, 2010 9:35 am

aetos wrote:Just because you killed so much, doesn't mean they are worth it. If you calculated the amount of points that unit killed, It would some nowhere near as much as the 610 points you paid for it.

plus, when they get hit by something too hard to crack first turn, they are going to get munched, because they rely on momentum, not only because of charging, but because psychologically, they will head your army up, into the fight. when your opponent stops that momentum unit, they have a great chance of stopping your entire army in it's tracks and gaining a foothold over you. It would only take something like a squad of 7 plague marines in a rhino, with a power fist champ to stop that unit dead in its tracks. 610 =/= to the >300 to take that squad
Well.. Land Raiders are around 250 and Tactical Squads usually turn out to be at least 200, so I think he got pretty close to that in that instance.

And I am pretty sure that his squad of Sanguinary guard would rip a Plague Marine Squad up. I mean, they'll have enough attacks and they all have power weapons, which means no saves at all (That means no FNP), so they reduce Plague Marines to expensive CSM with T5. All he needs to do is pop their rhino and charge in for the kill. With Dante and a Librarian they would stand no chance, and then they'd be jumping around next turn doing the same thing to another unit.
Armies:
Salamanders- 1500 pts (Check out my progress at Project Redemption)
Savlar Chem Dogs (IG) - 500 pts
Dwarves - 1500 pts
High Elves - 3000 pts

492hike
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by 492hike » Sun May 09, 2010 10:05 am

ya my mestake was I only played 1000 pts and had them with Astorath and they did terrible and now I feel sad I bought them because now I don't use them.
All the power and awesome in the universe in contained in Chuck Norris' beard and Sam Elliott's mustache

"LETS BURN SUM RUTS"
Goff Orks: 2000+
Blood Angels: 1500+

blacktiger
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by blacktiger » Sun May 09, 2010 1:40 pm

yes they did make up their points in both games and i am not relying on just them to win the battle, 3 assault squads with razorbacks, tac squad two preds and two furioso dreads. any way im not using them as some supper Baal hammer unit to go kill everything, first game got two units off of objectives and captured one at the end. the guys terminators did absolutely nothing because they were trying to chase them down the whole game. second game got me 5 kill points. still i don't think that making up their points is as important as doing what i want them to do and winning the game.

SatireSphere
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by SatireSphere » Sun May 09, 2010 4:56 pm

An important thing to remember about 40k is "earning your points back" is now an outdated relic with the death of victory points. Good units are: mobile, durable, efficient and able to play a role in the greater scheme of things.

I see Sanguinary guard as mobile and tactical, but they are far from durable or efficient. For 5 points more in the Blood Angels codex you can get an Assault Terminator with TH+SS who is superior in nearly every way. In addition, these guys have gigantic targets painted on their faces. Every single Demolisher cannon, plasma gun, any anti tank weaponary he can spare is going to be shot at these guys and it will annihilate them.

blacktiger
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by blacktiger » Sun May 09, 2010 6:12 pm

SatireSphere wrote:An important thing to remember about 40k is "earning your points back" is now an outdated relic with the death of victory points. Good units are: mobile, durable, efficient and able to play a role in the greater scheme of things.

I see Sanguinary guard as mobile and tactical, but they are far from durable or efficient. For 5 points more in the Blood Angels codex you can get an Assault Terminator with TH+SS who is superior in nearly every way. In addition, these guys have gigantic targets painted on their faces. Every single Demolisher cannon, plasma gun, any anti tank weaponary he can spare is going to be shot at these guys and it will annihilate them.
and i only lost one a game...

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun May 09, 2010 7:42 pm

They die too easy, my friends 5 with Astorath go owned by 2 plasma cannons

Jason
Regardez l'aventure à venir
Esse Eximius Ad Invicem
Bad Company, till the day I die.

DragonRider

492hike
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by 492hike » Sun May 09, 2010 8:20 pm

when did that happen Jason?
All the power and awesome in the universe in contained in Chuck Norris' beard and Sam Elliott's mustache

"LETS BURN SUM RUTS"
Goff Orks: 2000+
Blood Angels: 1500+

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun May 09, 2010 8:28 pm

at toms house RJ, i got 3 of them and 2 wounds on Astorath in 1 shootphase!

Jason
Esse Eximius Ad Invicem

DragonRider

SatireSphere
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by SatireSphere » Sun May 09, 2010 10:59 pm

Ronin wrote:Same thing can happen to terminators without storm shields. At least S. guard have mobility to get away.
People take terminators without storm shields and land raiders?

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun May 09, 2010 11:14 pm

But Sanguinary guard do not get Invulnerable save, that was my main point

Jason
Esse Eximius Ad Invicem

DragonRider